Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Suffolk and Bentley may be a good fit for you. Take a look at B.U. while you're at it, too.

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
re [#permalink]
Hi Scott,
Do you anything about these programs?
So you suggest BU? Someone had suggested UMass?
Any ideas? My one concern with suffolk is I dont know how to write my essay? And how do you know if you are ready for MBA?
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
BU came to mind because it's one that I remembered hearing about fairly often when I used to live in Boston. But to be honest, I don't know too much about the specifics of the program. If you're local, I'm sure that they're running info programs at this time of year.

The "when am I ready for an MBA?" question is a tough one. The timing and reasons will be different from one person to the next. Maybe you want to learn some hard skills so that you can keep moving up in your current job (e.g., learn marketing skills so that you can take on a broader role than as a finance manager). Or maybe you want to jump into another field entirely, such as moving out of accounting and into consulting. Business school provides a good chance for making that switch.

If you have ambitions to do something new but don't yet have the means to get there, then it may be the right time to apply to b-school.

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
re [#permalink]
Then Scott what do I put as my long term goal. I am having trouble with my essays..
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
I know thisisn't much of a help, but no one can answer that question except for you. What do you want to do now? Five years from now? Ten years from now? Do you want to stay in your current field? Change jobs? You don't have to have perfect answers to these questions (no one knows for sure!), but admissions committee members will want to see evidence that you have some goal in mind. What that goal is really depends on you.

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
re [#permalink]
Hi Scott,
I know that from 10 years from now I want my own business.
5 years from now I should I finished my MBA and and collect the knowledge necessary for my long term goal. Most likely I will be at my current job and without the MBA i dont think I can progress in this position.
I dont know how to put this in essay form. How would you approach an essay that say " Give a thougthful candid analysis of your professional objectives , both long term and short term and how the graduate program you are applying fits into it.

How do I approach this?Do I quote and describe my current job or do I keep it general without commenting on my past...

Help
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
You can definitely talk about your past, but I would keep the focus of the essay more on the future. It sounds trite, but I would answer the question exactly as it's asked. They want you to be honest about where you are now in your career and where you want to be in a few years. They also want to see well thought-out reasons for why you want an MBA to achieve those objectives. Maybe you want specific hard skills (like finance or marketing), or maybe you want more general skills like learning about leadershi because you're starting to lead more teams in your current job.

They key will be to show that you really have a good reason for wanting an MBA, and specifically for wanting it now in your career. What can't you do now that an MBA will help you do? If you can answer that, then you can answer the question.

Scott
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]