Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 23:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA in Systems/IT vs MBA/MS in quant finance-right fit?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIBA
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Stern, Insead, ISB, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Information Technology (Banking and Financial Services)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

MBA in Systems/IT vs MBA/MS in quant finance-right fit? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 07:27
Hey guys,

Below is my profile:

--Bachelors of engineering in Computer Science-India.
--5+ years of work experience in IT field with a top IT service provider in Asia.
--3 years of work experience in US with a World renowned bank. Worked for the Bank's IT dept as a Programmer Analyst & Technical Lead for various projects.

I am determined to get my MBA now-the question which has been lingering for quite some time is--
should I get an MBA in Systems or an MBA in finance ?

I do not have an iota of experience in finance but I am very good in quant. Quant has been my passion through out my life and I would really want to pursue my career in quant. Considering my profile, career graph and keeping in mind that I want to go for an executive MBA, it seems impossible that I can get into MBA in finance.

Also, through my research I came to know that EMBA is not for the people who are looking to shift their career.

Should I just compromise and go ahead with Systems/IT ? Do I have any chance to get into Finance now or is it too late ?

~soaringAlone
~Live fast, die young and leave a marketable corpse behind !!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 2.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: MBA in Systems/IT vs MBA/MS in quant finance-right fit? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 13:25
With a profile and passion similar to yours, let me share what i know.

It is NOT uncommon to change careers after 5 years via MBA. By EMBA, i assume you are referring to all 1 year programs. There are one year programs that can help you change careers. But if your target job doesnt value your 5 year experience, you will have to start from the bottom- something to seriously think about.

A few of my friends switched from IT to corporate finance and they tell me that it's quiet a big shift and they couldn't leverage their IT skills in their finance career. However, your experience could be different from theirs. I suggest you find your area of interest in finance such as corporate finance, Investment banking or risk management and identify transferable skills you think you posses. If your transferable skills are too less to get an acceptable position in your target area, then may be switch is not worth. You can do an MBA in IT systems and target positions that involve a good deal of quant.

Live Life Every Day, Every Moment
- JK

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIBA
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Stern, Insead, ISB, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Information Technology (Banking and Financial Services)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA in Systems/IT vs MBA/MS in quant finance-right fit? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 21:47
soaringAlone wrote:
You can do an MBA in IT systems and target positions that involve a good deal of quant

Thank you very much for suggestions. Would you shed some light on target positions in IT that involve good deal of quant ?

~soaringAlone
~Live fast, die young and leave a marketable corpse behind !!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 2.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: MBA in Systems/IT vs MBA/MS in quant finance-right fit? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 23:09
I wish i could help you with job titles :) but i dont have direct information for you. But quant is a generic skill and is widely used post MBA. I dont mean to say that there are positions in IT (i dont know) that involve as as much quant as finance jobs do. I was just stating the next best thing when you cant move out of IT.

Live Life Every Day, Every Moment
- JK

Re: MBA in Systems/IT vs MBA/MS in quant finance-right fit?   [#permalink] 20 May 2011, 23:09