Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2009, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
ACCA qualified
14 yrs work experience
Worked as an Audit Mgr for a while but want to relocate to the US.

I have looked at MBAs in the US but obviously it is expensive I want to know whether it's worth it. My plan is to spend 2 yrs there doing the MBA at a top school - hopefully I'll get in. While I'm there I am also hoping to sit the CPA exams or even before I go in 2010. Most jobs I have looked at require CPA and MBA. Also being in the US they don't really recognise ACCA - please correct me if I am wrong. Although my equivalence certificate says degree + UK Masters.

Do you think I have a better chance of getting a job in the US with a US MBA + CPA or with a UK MBA + CPA? The appealing factor with the UK, is that I live in the UK and could commute to the London Schools, even if I got a place elsewhere it may work out less expensive but are UK MBAs recognised in the US? If so, which schools.

Another issue is that I would at least get a year post my degree to work in the US therefore giving me a better chance to job search and gain work experience while I'm there. Whatever I do, ultimately I want to relocate to the US . . . . opinions please.
Thank you

Last edited by darkone on 03 Jan 2011, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2009, 15:22
Depends what you want to do after the MBA -- but in general, it would be best to attend a school where you want to relocate.

In the traditional MBA feeder industries like consulting and banking, the top European schools can have a comparable reputation in the USA with top American schools, as most recruiters in those sectors know the European schools. The main disadvantage is simply alumni size compared to the American schools, which affects networking and perceived reputation.

If you are looking to stay within accounting or in another industry, a US school would likely be much more beneficial for networking and the localized curriculum. As an example, at LBS we devote time to IFRS and US GAAP accounting standards -- not sure if the US schools do this as well or go more in-depth into GAAP. Additionally, many American companies simply do not recruit out of Europe as they have plenty of MBA programs in the USA to work with -- so the only American companies we get are consulting firms, banks, tech companies and large multinationals.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 14:32
Expert's post
If you want to work in the US, get your degree in the US, unless you are going to top Euro schools like LBS or INSEAD. Also, if you want to work in accounting, you don't need an MBA. In fact, I think MBA will not help you get a job in accounting. The graduate accounting degree in the US is MPA (masters in professional accounting). MPA schools are easier to get in. For example, the #1 US MPA program's, Texas-McCombs, average GMAT is in the 670s, while top MBA programs are in the 720s.

Diversity

Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Re: MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 07:47
I'm curious about how well known LBS and INSEAD are outside of Europe. Are many potential employers in the U.S. familiar with these schools.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 07:59
If you are not an US citizen I would advise you to try to study in the USA because of Visa Issues. You would have the OPT (Optional Practical Training) after school with the F1 visa. If you are international either your company will have to sponsor a H visa (H1-B) or L1, and this is an issue almost always.

In my opinion the way from the USA to Europe (well actually the UK) is easier than the other way around.

You can find more info here:
https://internationalaffairs.uchicago.edu/students/

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 05:37
I know this was a while ago but thanks for all the responses. I have decided to apply this year to US schools.
Since I want to move, it will make the visa process much easier I hope as well as finding jobs.
I will also look into MPA programs.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 07:24
Hi darkone,

Agree with what has been said: If you want to work in the US, go to a US b-school.

However, have you thought about whether a full-time MBA is the right choice at this point in your career? With 14 years of work ex, I wonder if an executive MBA program may be a better option. In full-time programs, you will sit in a classroom with 27 year olds, some will be as young as 23. Especially in the US, full-time MBA students tend to be younger. In terms of recruiting, you may also have a hard time since most employers recruiting directly from schools will look for students to fill the typical associates positions - you may be overqualified for this. From what someone already posted before, a full-time MBA may not be very suitable for your career aspirations. Just my .02...

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 15:02
Is 34 too old for a full time MBA?
If i should be looking at a US b-school then I wouldn't be able to do it part time, hence going full time. Either way - I would like to know your opinion as it is a big decision to make. I would be leaving a very good job with a good salary vs 2 yrs full time and hopefully a job after that?
I'm unsure but still looking for advice. At this point I know that since I want to move to the US, it the only way I can realistically stand a chance of networking and securing a job, without going through a company transfer which is not guaranteed where I work.

I would also like to do the MBA to add to my CV, therefore I still do it even if it wasn't for the move, but it seems to make sense to do one in the US.

Opinions appreciated - thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 15:27
When I started my MBA the oldest person in the program was 34. I suggest that perhaps you could have a chat with someone from admissions whether an MBA or an exec MBA (which can be full time) is more suitable. Or, as someone mentioned the MPA is the way to go.

Posted from my mobile device Image

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Re: MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2011, 15:27