Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA in US, risk and loans and improving speed in quants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

MBA in US, risk and loans and improving speed in quants [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 01:27
Hi,

I was inspired to do a MBA recently as i found my present job in IT sector boring. I work for a reputed IT company. I am 23 years old software engineer (female), with 2.5 years work experience. I have worked in different domains in various roles. However when i took cat during my final year i scored only 91 percentile which demotivated me. I was good in verbal but pathetic in quants. I am not able to understand why though, because i was topper during my engineering and almost always scored straight A+ grades in maths.

Let me come to the point. I have decided to give GMAT a shot. And have completed Manhattan guides(read quant). I know how to solve a problem. But it takes time :( So if u consider Kaplan/manhattan Mgmat which i took, i was not able to answer almost 9 questions with in the time (i have completed 2 weeks of preparation and was dissapointed that the same happened today :( Q36 :().
One of my good friend advised me to work on CAT problems for better exposure, however the problem is not with the problems. The problem is with time management. Any ideas or suggestions to improve on this? I am desperate to improve. I can do whatever it takes and more.

The one feedback i would like to provide is that the problems in kaplan, OG 13 and manhattan guides lack the original difficulty level. While i can solve any problem in the book at a given point of time, GMAT plays with tricksters, where can i find such problems???? :( Any book suggestion/ class suggestion is appreciated. I wanna score well above 700. I can do what ever is required for that!!!!
I have no problem with verbal and without any preparation i scored V33 in it. So im yet to start preparing for it. But hey first let me tackle the quants.

Another question i would like to ask is about the oppurtunity for Indians in foreign countries. I noticed that few people have actually asked the same question but the answer was so vague.
Can you please tell me about the carreer oppurtunities that will be available for me in the long road ahead if i do a MBA in a reputed foreign college?
Also i dont have any backup money saved. I will have to depend on loans. Is it worth the risk? Please help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: MBA in US, risk and loans and improving speed in quants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 07:42
Expert's post
The problem you have is with speed and efficiency. Timing is a critical factor -- in your studies you can take your time going through practice questions -- but at some point, you need to review them and pretend your reading the question as if you've never seen it before. Then try to answer the question as fast as you can, rationalizing to yourself why you're eliminating certain answer choices at each step and why you're jumping at some answers being better than others.

With quant -- you probably can do a lot of math questions in your head. But as you know, Data Sufficiency is quite tricky. You need to fully understand what exactly the question is answering. Then use a methodical approach to answer that question. You should be able to test different values and do so quickly in your head. And you need someone to show you this process.

The GMAT is tricky -- and even if you're good at engineering, getting math questions right on the GMAT depends on training and avoid mistakes. GMATPill does offer a timing diagnostics as you go through a practice test -- this way you can see an ongoing chart of how your timing compares to the suggested pace in order for you to finish the exam on time.

As for opportunities for MBA, if you're looking to transition from IT, an MBA can help you rebrand yourself and get your foot in the door elsewhere. This rebranding is important because with so many students in IT in India, it's difficult to figure out which of these IT people have a business mind. And as such, an MBA opens doors -- which ones specifically will depend on which recruiters recruit at the school of your choice.

Best,
GMATPill

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: MBA in US, risk and loans and improving speed in quants   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2013, 07:42