Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Re: MBA/JD for Entrepreneurship [#permalink]
dalexc wrote:
kidderek wrote:
dalexc wrote:
I was doing research on Entrepreneurship and many places recommend that it would be wise to pick up your JD as well, however they really do not give any reasons as to why? Also, I plan on graduating with a 3.5+ degree in finance and have intentions of going to Harvard. I know for a fact that I will have a fair shot of going to Harvard for my MBA. The problem comes in with the competitiveness of Law schools. I will be WAY below par with a 3.5/3.6 gpa for Harvard Law school.

I really need some advice here:

Is a J.D. worth it if you want to pursue a MBA in entrepreneurship?

Would I have a shot at Harvard Law school with that GPA and great LSAT?

What are the benefits of having an MBA/JD?

Advice #1 Check all your notions about graduate school (MBA & JD) at the door.

Advice #2 Tell us a little more about your background. You know for sure that you will have a fair shot at Harvard? That's quite a bold statement.

Where should I begin with Advice #1? Any suggestions?

And for Advice #2. Yeah. Bold statement, but that is just the way I am. I create a goal for myself and I do everything possible to turn that goal into reality. It worked for the rest of my life, why not now, eh?

But I am very young (21), African American male. I know I have plenty of time to prepare a great application and I attend to do just that. I will get 740+ on the gmat (started preparing for it already) and as far as community service: I'm treasurer of circle k for my school and apart of habitat for humanity. joined leadership groups. Going to be a part of a orientation leadership role at my school next year (i'll be entering my senior year in the fall)

When I get out of school, the only thing I am a little confused about is where/what leadership roles can I find outside the work field. I know they are out there, I have just yet to look. But after 5+ years I'll apply and get in their Business school. Their law school on the other hand, I really do not know what I am getting myself into which is where you guys come in. Hopefully. I know this is a gmat board, but still. ;)

While I admire your ambition, you should consider one or two backup schools to HBS. For what it's worth, you only really get one shot and the chances are rather slim, regardless of the demographic.

As for the JD/MBA option, it's not required, but definately won't hinder your chances of running a successful organization. That's an extremely demanding program (so I hear) which is virtually guaranteed to yield future dividends.

With the recent increase in popularity, I'm actaully beginning to think that the JD/MBA is the new equivalent of what an MBA was 25 years ago.

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agree with all who posted before me... everyone wants to get into Harvard, but honestly they have such selectivity (they can pick whichever of the applicants they want and almost be guaranteed they attend). Of course, there are other GREAT programs and you should have a good shot at those. Also, if you are looking at Harvard Law School.... you have to get accepted at both schools. I was looking at JD/MBA but I am actually now considering going to a part-time Law School (Georgetown, GW, Fordham) so I can get work experience and then applying to law school. I will actually finish both when I am 29, whereas if I work 4 years after undergrad and then apply for the 4-year joint degree, I finish at 31. So, I figure even if it costs me a little extra, I get 2 more years at hopefully a pretty good salary.

Really, HBS is hard enough to get accepted to... I mean you can have OUTSTANDING numbers, but you have to have something that makes you different. You are a URM, which helps you in any case, but if you don't prove yourself after undergrad, an 800 GMAT and 4.0 GPA won't get you in. As for the law school, ace the LSAT. Harvard will accept a lower GPA (3.4-3.6) if the LSAT is good enough (172-175). They love numbers, especially the LSAT.

EDIT: You can check your Law School chances with different numbers here..... https://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx?SidString=
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]