Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA/MIF admission chances. Is it possible?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA/MIF admission chances. Is it possible? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 09:44
Well here it is, bad decisions and a little bad luck resulted in me getting a pretty low GPA (thinking I will finish my Bachelors in Finance with about 7/10) which is why I am seeking suggestions.

Well I posted this a week ago or so in another section but it seems it sparked little attention so I'll try my luck here with the consultants. I had always wanted to go to HEC Paris but at this point, I am doubting it is even possible, here is my short profile (took the MBA profile evaluation template to try and make this as brief yet complete as possible):

1) No full time work experience.
2) GMAT has not been done yet, I plan on finishing my degree before starting to study for it, want to make sure I do as good as I possibly can (would expect ~700)
3) University of Ottawa Bachelors degree in Finance, expected GPA ~7 on 10. Graduating end of summer 2012.
4) I am not sure if this is significant but as a full time summer job, I worked at a medical clinic where I helped redesign and implement a new file system (replacing paper files by computer files).
5) Plan on doing CFA certifications (1 and 2 for now since I have no work experience).

Looking at the above information, do I even have a shot at programs from HEC Paris and such or not, if not, is there anything I can do in order to increase my chances significantly. I'm looking to do my MBA or MIF so I would appreciate information on both if possible.

I also would like to know what kind of work experience admission consultants are looking for, most answers found on education establishment's websites are very generic and only mention progress, teamwork, leadership and managerial responsibilities (or other very generic qualities), I would like to know, if possible if there are any specific jobs/internships or companies that stand out more (please keep in mind that I would most likely be working in Montreal and it's surroundings).

Edit: Noticed that you mention that students who studies outside the US are judged more on GMAT, experience and university prestige than on GPA, I cannot find any information about my university's prestige, University of Ottawa Telfer school of management, what kind of prestige does it have if any?

Thanks in advance and do not hesitate to let me know if I forgot any information pertinent to the evaluation of my profile.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA/MIF admission chances. Is it possible? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 09:09
Honestly, you are better served by working a few years before going back to school.

An MBA is pretty much useless and a waste of time and money without work experience, because the kinds of jobs you'll get coming out of it won't be much different than what you'll be going after right now: entry level jobs for college graduates.

Masters in Finance programs can be a possibility without work experience, but if you're going to do that, focus on North American programs. Unless you have citizenship in an EU country, you'll have a tougher time looking for work coming out of a EU school without any work experience -- and you won't be any better off than you are now by coming back to North America with an EU masters degree and no work experience.

Again focus on getting a full-time job after college. As for what kind of job, that is entirely up to you. B-schools get folks from all walks of life: bankers, consultants, engineers, accountants, marketing professionals, product managers, military officers, lawyers, doctors, etc. It runs the gamut.

Don't focus on what kinds of experience stands out (because you'll be choosing a full-time job based on what others perceive). Focus on what you want to do.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: MBA/MIF admission chances. Is it possible?   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2012, 09:09