Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA networking do's and don'ts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
MBA networking do's and don'ts [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 07:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Found this article on BW on tips for networking do's and dont's: http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/09/networking/index_01.htm

Anyone have other helpful tips?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: MBA networking do's and don'ts [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 08:06
One of the advice in the article:

"DO: Skip the Buffet.."

I would also add "Go Easy on the Open Bar..."

I was invited to a JP Morgan Networking event in my senior year in college to their midtown Park Ave building. It was a get-to-know-one-another kinda thing between interviewees and interviewers a day before the final round of interviews. They had snacks on the table and an open bar.

There was this junior banker who had little too many drinks and started hitting on some of the female undergrads at the event. His face was all red, and his intoxication was evident even to senior bankers attending the event.

Long story short, he was taken aside by an older banker at the event and he was never seen again that night. Next morning, HR rep told me that instead of 4 interviews, I would have 3 interviews that morning because one of my interviewer wasn't available anymore. That drunken dude was one of my interviewer, I found out later.... So I ended up doing my fourth interview 2 days later with another person.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: MBA networking do's and don'ts [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 08:43
Wipe Off Sweaty Palms

Many people get nervous and as a result, they suffer from dry mouth, rapid heartbeats, and sweaty palms.

Also, if you are a guy and you are handshaking a female executive, don't squeeze her hand so hard (as you would with a male counterpart).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA networking do's and don'ts [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 09:10
BearStearner wrote:

Also, if you are a guy and you are handshaking a female executive, don't squeeze her hand so hard (as you would with a male counterpart).

I do that too, but funnily enough some women get frustrated by that!

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA networking do's and don'ts [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 09:12
ninkorn wrote:
One of the advice in the article:

"DO: Skip the Buffet.."

I would also add "Go Easy on the Open Bar..."

I was invited to a JP Morgan Networking event in my senior year in college to their midtown Park Ave building. It was a get-to-know-one-another kinda thing between interviewees and interviewers a day before the final round of interviews. They had snacks on the table and an open bar.

There was this junior banker who had little too many drinks and started hitting on some of the female undergrads at the event. His face was all red, and his intoxication was evident even to senior bankers attending the event.

Long story short, he was taken aside by an older banker at the event and he was never seen again that night. Next morning, HR rep told me that instead of 4 interviews, I would have 3 interviews that morning because one of my interviewer wasn't available anymore. That drunken dude was one of my interviewer, I found out later.... So I ended up doing my fourth interview 2 days later with another person.

Agreed. I almost blew up my chances with an IB this year: they organised a great wine tasting event with really good Old World wines, and I just couldn't help myself. Thank God I left on time.

To my defense, the wines were great :-D

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA networking do's and don'ts [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 10:20
Quote:

You guys worry about random stuff :)
2 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [2] , given: 0

Re: MBA networking do's and don'ts [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
Another tip:

Go to one or two recruiting networking events for companies or industries that you have absolutely no interest in. Treat these as "practice" networking if you're unsure or relatively green to the whole schmoozing thing. You'll get comfortable with it in a no-risk situation.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Current Student
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA networking do's and don'ts [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 11:43
Be confident and gregarious, though not obsequious. Assume you're on top of the pack for the job/internship in question. No one wants to hire a wilting violet.

And for god's sake, don't brown nose.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA networking do's and don'ts [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 12:37
I would say buy this book for starters: http://www.amazon.com/Never-Eat-Alone-Secrets-Relationship/dp/0385512058 It is absolutely fantastic for learning how to expand your network. Many of the lessons in the book are guiding how I am going about creating contacts at every IB prior to B-school.

Then add:
1. Chat up everyone you have time to have a 3-5 minute meaningful conversation with at networking events, but don't just wisp around the room talking to everyone for 30 seconds. The more people you meet, the more people you have going to bat for you. Just try and have as many meaningful conversations as possible. Also, say hi and have conversation with the people you know and are comfortable with at your target firm, but try and branch out as much as possible and cast your net wide.

2. ALWAYS Follow up - especially important, it is the only way to keep a relationship going
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA networking do's and don'ts [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 14:12
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Another tip:

Go to one or two recruiting networking events for companies or industries that you have absolutely no interest in. Treat these as "practice" networking if you're unsure or relatively green to the whole schmoozing thing. You'll get comfortable with it in a no-risk situation.

That can seriously annoy people actively recruiting in that field, so be sure to show a certain amount of graciousness and self awareness if you do this.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: MBA networking do's and don'ts   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2009, 14:12