Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

mba on end of undergrad?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Lot's that I shall most likely not get into
WE 1: Strategy Consulting
WE 2: corp finance
WE 3: Marketing
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 40

mba on end of undergrad? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2006, 00:12
HEy all,
I am extremely keen on working management consultancy after graduation, but i think it might be dicey getting in --
I have a 3.8 undergrad from Mechanical Engineering @ UT Austin
work part time all through school
about to graduate in 3.5 yr with degree + about three major organization leadership roles.
I got rejected@ bain for summer:(
But, might land a decent summer internship this year at KLA-Tencor or perhaps one of the small i-banks or maybe Occidental or some O&G company.
I am really keen on management consultancy since I want the dynamic change and growth that is omni present. I do not want to use my ME degree to design pumps!!
now, i am still keen on maybe a Masters in fin engineering at princeton or some place .. so will take gre n gmat before aug!
but what is your views on which schools if any will take mba students out of undergrad.
THanks a lot for your views,
Shreenath
btw. UT is rosebowl champs WOOHOo!!

ps.: im international which basically knocks out like 50% of the hiring outta UT !!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2006, 17:46
Expert's post
Does UT Austin itself have a program that lets undergrads go right into b-school? I'm not sure, but I have heard that McCombs is friendly to young applicants. Harvard and Stanford are also known to be friendly to young applicants, but those are obviously tough for anyone.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: Lot's that I shall most likely not get into
WE 1: Strategy Consulting
WE 2: corp finance
WE 3: Marketing
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 40

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2006, 01:28
Heyya,
thanks for the response..
UT AUstin does have a JUMPSTART program that it just started. It has tied up with a bunch of companies for specific jobs which will allow you to get job+direct admission to UT mccombs. Now, direct young applicants I can realise is possible. I personally dont know what to do next, but wnat to do B-School to see the options and gain credibility... this is not too good a reason to goto b-school i think-- would you agree?
Also, I am sure if and when i do take the gmat (another qn- when is good? i can graduate in dec 06 or may 07 and then go on to work someplace--+mba OR work+MS+work+mba OR MS+work+mba --
thanks for ideas/suggestions
adios
shr
quixx23 wrote:
Does UT Austin itself have a program that lets undergrads go right into b-school? I'm not sure, but I have heard that McCombs is friendly to young applicants. Harvard and Stanford are also known to be friendly to young applicants, but those are obviously tough for anyone.

Scott
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2006, 09:47
Expert's post
First of all, thanks for alerting me to the McCombs Jump Start program... I hadn't seen that before. You're doing my job for me. :-)

I think that's a great program, especially because it gets you three years of experience before you go to b-school. Even if a b-school admits you now, keep in mind that employers who are looking recruiting at the b-school may still be reluctant to hire someone with no "real world" experience. That's why I think the Jump Start program could really work well.

In terms of GMAT timing, my best advice is simply to take it when you're most ready. Don't rush it!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews