Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA or MS in finance for IT guy with 4years experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

MBA or MS in finance for IT guy with 4years experience [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 01:05
After graduation ,I got selected for MNC in India and started working for top Investment banking in US for past 4 years(2010-2013)
I am in role of Production support for equities domain.
I decided to for higher studies ,i am ready to give GMAT or GRE for that.Now below are my questions.
1)should i do MBA or MS in finance .
2)which one will give me better placements after the program.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 0

Re: MBA or MS in finance for IT guy with 4years experience [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
I personally wouldn't do either. You are an international and landed a job at a bank in the US. Quite a feat. Many international MSF graduates struggle to find a job that will sponsor them so you are already ahead of those students. You need more work experience for an MBA. I would probably take your GMAT just to see what your options might be. If you get a 700+ then you can consider some top MSF programs or wait and do an MBA. The GMAT score is good for 5 years.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: MBA or MS in finance for IT guy with 4years experience [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 09:47
Thanks a lot for reply, To be more clear I work for MNC in India and our client is one of IB in US ,and my dream for working in IB is yet to fulfilled .My long term goal is to see my self working for Top IB ( may be sales trader or stock broker) and I Believe doing MSF in finance will take me close towards my long term goal.Now below are my questions
1)You suggested more experience required for MBA ? By the time give GMAT and attending B-school I will be near to 5 will that be sufficient?
2)It can be either MBA or MSF. I want to do the one program which value my experience and I should be able to get in to placements after the program .
3)Are there any top B-schools which value IT experience in MSF programs and what sort of industrial experience they look for in applicant
4)To do MSF should i target any other exams apart from GMAT ,may be GRE or TOEFL?
5)I generally see young graduates doing MSF programs .Is doing MSF after 4 years of experience late ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA or MS in finance for IT guy with 4years experience [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 07:44
In general MSF programs cater to younger applicants. These programs also generally place into junior positions also. Since you have more experience I thought an MBA would be the better fit. You could look at programs that have a 1+1 track so you could do an MSF and then an MBA.

WUSTL, Vanderbilt and Villanova have this option (others might). You can also check out U Rochester NYC MSF program. It has an older cohort and is more of an MBA substitute. You are also in Manhattan which helps with networking and finding a job.

You might consider doing an MSF if you want to get some US educational experience, a toe hold in the US and then roll into an MBA afterwards. This is going to be expensive though and the long way about things. Not sure if financially this is the best bet for you.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.81
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: MBA or MS in finance for IT guy with 4years experience [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 09:18
ghgh wrote:
Thanks a lot for reply, To be more clear I work for MNC in India and our client is one of IB in US ,and my dream for working in IB is yet to fulfilled .My long term goal is to see my self working for Top IB ( may be sales trader or stock broker) and I Believe doing MSF in finance will take me close towards my long term goal.Now below are my questions
1)You suggested more experience required for MBA ? By the time give GMAT and attending B-school I will be near to 5 will that be sufficient?
2)It can be either MBA or MSF. I want to do the one program which value my experience and I should be able to get in to placements after the program .
3)Are there any top B-schools which value IT experience in MSF programs and what sort of industrial experience they look for in applicant
4)To do MSF should i target any other exams apart from GMAT ,may be GRE or TOEFL?
5)I generally see young graduates doing MSF programs .Is doing MSF after 4 years of experience late ?

I have met people in MSF from WUSTL & Vanderbilt. In case you want to do an MSF, then it is better if you stick to LBS or IE (Spain). Their programs are for people with more than 3 years work experience. Moreover after an MSF program from anywhere in US, you will generally go for analyst level roles, whereas after an MBA you will go for Associate level roles.

So if it's MSF, go to LBS/IE, if its MBA come to US.
Re: MBA or MS in finance for IT guy with 4years experience   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2014, 09:18