Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 04:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA? Or Not? - Dilemma

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
MBA? Or Not? - Dilemma [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 23:56
Guys, I've heard lots of stories about over-expectations from MBA programs. Despite my mediocre academic background, I am offered a place in a full-time MBA program with a top Chinese business school (CEIBS), probably in view of my entrepreneurship merits.

I'm 30, married with a 2-year old baby, and has several small e-Commerce businesses. I have heard from past students that for the first three terms I'm only expected to have 5 hours of sleep, and that the school is very strict about punctuality (comes with penalties) etc. These info come at a shock to me, as I don't expect to be treated like a kid no more.

I don't think I am willing to fork out USD 62K AND 18 months of torture for it, but frankly I think I stand quite a high chance of being offered a scholarship, either from the school or from an external corporate sponsorship. The sponsorship might be either USD 24K or the full USD 62K!

What if I'm being offered a full scholarship? Sounds crazy to turn it down?

How is it at other top business schools? Do they also have strict rules and also extremely intensive program?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8159 [0], given: 3640

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MBA? Or Not? - Dilemma [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2014, 16:07
Expert's post
ghostie wrote:
Guys, I've heard lots of stories about over-expectations from MBA programs. Despite my mediocre academic background, I am offered a place in a full-time MBA program with a top Chinese business school (CEIBS), probably in view of my entrepreneurship merits.

I'm 30, married with a 2-year old baby, and has several small e-Commerce businesses. I have heard from past students that for the first three terms I'm only expected to have 5 hours of sleep, and that the school is very strict about punctuality (comes with penalties) etc. These info come at a shock to me, as I don't expect to be treated like a kid no more.

I don't think I am willing to fork out USD 62K AND 18 months of torture for it, but frankly I think I stand quite a high chance of being offered a scholarship, either from the school or from an external corporate sponsorship. The sponsorship might be either USD 24K or the full USD 62K!

What if I'm being offered a full scholarship? Sounds crazy to turn it down?

How is it at other top business schools? Do they also have strict rules and also extremely intensive program?

Being late is a sign of disrespect to the professor and to the other students who chose to show up on time and have you interrupt their class. I don't know any respectable professor who would not chew you out for being late to class. Some lock doors and don't let students in. It is usually a class policy rather than school's but salute CEIBS for having such school-wide policies. Nobody is above the law and that should be clearly ingrained in the minds of everyone who feels otherwise.

If you don't expect to be treated like a kid, don't behave like one, right?

The choice is yours to make. MBA is a HARD process and it is not easy or something that you just get. If you have doubts about your committment or ability to be under pressure, be outside your comfort zone, and be challenged, I would suggest to not get in or perhaps choose a less demanding program.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: MBA? Or Not? - Dilemma   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2014, 16:07