Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 13:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA or PhD in Business

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA or PhD in Business [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 21:50
Hello Guys,

I am new in this forum.

Probably I have some common problems which you might have read here, but I think I have specific reasons.

I already finished my PhD in materials engineering on summer last year, which was August 2012. Now I am working in Research Center in South Korea. During my PhD I also worked for that institute. At this stage right now, I think I am going nowhere in term of career prospect or personal improvement, it probably because i have stayed in this institute around 5 years.

I got married last year. We still don't have plan to have kid in near future yet. We both work.

I come to know that I am not married to my PhD in materials engineering. Because I have been struggling so much during experiment. I know how bad my hands are. I have to tell you that, I was forced to continue to PhD after master because I need to support my family financially. I am from poor family. So I need to support my sibling and my parents. The condition was difficult. Because in that PhD program I have chance to secure my work contract in institute until I finished it.

I don't want to spend in the next 5-10 years only doing experiment physically etc. I want to switch my career.

I have been reading about possibility to study MBA, but after I check tuition fees, that's a lot !. But I open my option to PhD in business. My plan is I want to build a consultancy company in engineering and business. Before that, I need to have experience in company first/consultancy company. I probably will do it in next 2 year.

I need your suggestions guys.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA or PhD in Business [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 22:44
well as per myself if you want to choose between the PhD in business or MBA then take your time and ask yourself that what do you want to do exactly in your life. Both has their own pros and cons. If you want to do academic then PHD will be best for you and for the corporate world go for the MBA. Also you should know about how much time you can give to your studies.You will find such answers only after a good research, so fellow I hope you understood. Best of luck.
Certificate 4 in Training & Assessment
Re: MBA or PhD in Business   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2013, 22:44