Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Re: MBA People Study - How responsive are the people? [#permalink]
I have emailed students from Olin Business School at Wash U before and most were very responsive ! Another one is Michigan Ross. Students from Ross and Olin were very responsive (an incredible 90% response rate for both schools) and candid with their replies. Totally dig those 2 schools. I think there's a lot to be said about the schools' culture when students are helpful enough to lend their perspective to issues a potential student has. Knowing how to pay it forward is important in a society which is going to be much more closely connected than before and students who only know how to stick their noses up in the air or bury their heads in their books are just gonna find it much harder to survive, regardless of your pedigree and school's brand name.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
slumdog1000000 wrote:
Based on my own experience, Tuck Dartmouth is the worst. I sent close to 20 e-mails to students and all I got was one response from a student who tersely told me in one sentence (I had 3 questions in my e-mail! ) that I should visit the school if I wanted to have a chance of getting admitted. Well, I made it plain clear in my introduction that I wasn't able to do so as I was then based in a country far away from the US. Admittedly, I was very disappointed by the response rate, considering that Tuck prides itself as a school that is very close-knit and has a very collaborative culture. I have nothing against the school but I thought this is a good opportunity to share my own experience. Others may have a different experience though. Whatever it is, do your research. Caveat emptor (buyers beware), as they always say.

I actually had some really good experiences when reaching out to Tuck alumni. I even had a couple of different alumni make themselves available to meet up for lunch. While I ultimately did not get into Tuck, I have nothing but good things to say about the students I met on campus and the alumni I met at various events.

My best experiences with students and alumni from the various schools I visited were at Tuck, Haas, and Wharton-West (this is of course anecdotal and I only visited select schools).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Having been at business school, I'm not sure I would read too much into this. I think you would be surprised at just how terrible some people are at managing their time, which spills over to managing their e-mail. The other thing is that for really popular schools, you have to realize the amount of e-mail that they are getting and some people are just utterly ridiculous in their questions.

My personal opinion - I think it's absolutely inexcusable that someone connected with admissions or a club liaison/president would not respond to your questions as they can delegate this off. Clearly given your results, that's not the norm. If they're not going to respond, they shouldn't put their e-mail address on there.

That is a lot of e-mails to send, however. To be honest, if I happened to find out that you sent e-mails to a big slew of people, I likely would not answer your e-mail. If you're sending 20 e-mails, you're e-mailing 5% of their FY population. If everybody does the same, imagine how swamped people are.

Finally, I would agree that Ross students totally killed it when I e-mailed requests. They were soooo helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Any experience with contacting professors and staff?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
In all fairness, I contacted 1 person at Tuck and they sent me solid replies to all my questions (a list of 10+ Qs). Also touched base with a student at Duke with the same result. I think you might have caught some students at a wrong time or perhaps highhopes is correct in his assesment.
GMAT Club Bot