Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Prep School's Ding Diagnostic - Will I get dinged?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

MBA Prep School's Ding Diagnostic - Will I get dinged? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 18:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

MBA Prep School (http://mbaprepschool.com) is a new member of the GMAT Club community. This post is an updated version of a post that some people have found helpful in the Admissions Consultants forum. To ensure it reached people who are early on in their application process, I decided to post an updated version here as well.

In my short tenure here at GMAT Club, I've noticed that profile evaluation questions are very popular. (i.e., What are my chances of getting into School X given my profile?) MBA Prep School created an exercise called the Ding Diagnostic which helps applicants do some self-assessment on their candidacy. The more checkmarks (or dings) your profile earns on the checklist below the more of a reach a highly selective program will be for you. The real power of this exercise is to help you to start thinking like an admissions officer (or an admission consultant) in order to identify the weak spots in your application and find ways to counterbalance those weaknesses. In that sense, the tool is prescriptive. Knowing what might stand in your way to being accepted to your dream school is an important first step. I hope you find the Ding Diagnostic helpful. If you have any questions once you've completed the exercise, please let me know.

MBA Prep School's Ding Diagnostic

Academic Profile

--Low cumulative GPA or GPA in major
--No classes or average performance in Quantitative or Business-Oriented Courses
--GMAT score below the median
--TOEFL score below the median
--A 3-Year Bachelor’s Degree
--Degree from a school with a questionable academic reputation

Career Progress

--Limited evidence of career progress
--No visible progress made in the direction of career goals
--Employer is a complete unknown or quality of candidate's work experience is questionable
--Weak references and/or limited evidence of recognition by superiors
--Too technical: limited evidence of managerial potential

Leadership Portfolio

--Limited evidence of leadership at work
--Limited evidence of leadership outside of work
--Lacks insight about leadership capabilities
--Lacks awareness of leadership development needs
--Leadership style appears authoritarian or self-serving

Career Goals

--Undefined career goals
--Career goals lack a sense of purpose: passion, meaning, significance
--Can't connect the dots between prior skills/experiences and post-MBA career goals
--Unconvincing motivations for pursuing an MBA
--Weak case for pursuing an MBA from our School
--Career goals lack a Global Perspective

Other Qualities

--Little evidence of self-awareness
--Little evidence of maturity/life-experience
--Lacks dimension (e.g. Too much of a “poet” or Too much of a “suit”)
--Limited international/cross-cultural experience
--Questionable fit with our school’s culture

If you'd like to learn more about what you can do to strengthen your candidacy and correct or at least counterbalance your dings our video course entitled Before You Apply can help: http://mbaprepschool.com/course-catalog/before-you-apply/

Also, for complete access to our complete video series covering every element of building an impressive application, GMAT Club members will receive a $100 discount for a limited time only.

Go here for the discount: http://mbaprepschool.com/gmat-club

Prepare to be accepted!

Tyler Cormney
MBA Prep School

MBA Prep School provides you with power tools for building a winning MBA application. Our on-demand admissions consulting videos and application prep tools will increase your chances of being accepted by your dream school.

Take the first step toward your dream school -- for Free!: http://mbaprepschool.com
Read our eBook: http://mbaprepschool.com/ebook
For GMAT Club Discounts: http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/mba-pr ... gmat-club/

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Prep School's Ding Diagnostic - Will I get dinged? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 20:23
Great post!

Taking a positive spin on it, I just turned each bullet point inside out and will use it as an application rubric to cover the bases.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: MBA Prep School's Ding Diagnostic - Will I get dinged?   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2010, 20:23