Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.61
WE: Operations (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 13:00
Hello,

I would really appreciate any insights on my candidacy for full-time MBA programs

My profile:

Age and Ethnicity: 26 at Matriculation, Indian-born US male
GMAT: 710 (Q48, V38) AWA 6.0, IR 8
School: Regionally well-known STEM university in Northeast US
Major: Double major in Biomedical Engineering and Molecular Biology, Minor in Computer
Science
GPA: 3.61/4.00
Background and Work Experience: I was born in India but moved to the US when I was 12.
Most of my education (middle school and beyond) was done in the United States. After
graduating with high distinction with a double major, I switched focus from R&D to
Operations. I started out as an analyst in the Process Excellence group and after 6 months,
got my first promotion where I became a Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt. I started a Process
Excellence program for a manufacturing site and became part of the site management team.
Got a second promotion after 2 years where I got an additional site for which I am the
Process Excellence leader and part of the new site’s management team as well. Currently,
have two temporary direct reports (summer intern for 3 months and grant writer for 9
months). Total work experience right now is 37 months and at matriculation it will be 50
months.

Extracurricular: I was a Math and science tutor for GED students for a year during which I
spent 5 hrs/week on tutoring. I am an Everybody Wins! Reading Mentor for elementary
school kids since November 2012.

Leadership: I have had multiple leadership roles in my work environment but none in my
extracurricular activities. I mentored projects in various functional areas such as R&D,
Project Management, Quality, Production, Internal Sales, Sales Support, and Logistics. Led
several Lean Six Sigma projects that span three group functions with cost-savings of more
than $1M.

For Fun: I won’t be mentioning this in my app but I enjoy museums a lot so I have started
volunteering at an art museum soon after I finished my GMAT. Gives me a different
perspective and it’s a change of pace from my technical and scientific work environment
and colleagues.
My Career Goals:

Short-term Goals: Right after completing my MBA, I would like to work as a consultant for a
boutique biotechnology management consulting firm (Putnam Associates, Heath Advances) or for
the life sciences arm of a general management consulting firm (Bain, LEK).

Mid-term and Long-term Goals: After gaining experience and exposure as a consultant, I would like
to work as a corporate strategy analyst at a biotech/pharmaceutical company. In the long-term I
would like to continue working in corporate strategy and eventually, would like to head the group at
a leading life sciences company.

My School List: Harvard, Wharton, MIT LGO, Tuck, Duke, and Kellogg

Thanks in advance!

Lousantace
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 05:23
Expert's post
Hello,

There are many strengths and good coherence in your overall story. Nevertheless, I’d consider HBS an unlikely target; the other programs I’d considerreasonable reaches of varying degrees. Indeed, you might consider adding some schools in the closer reasonable-reach / on-par range – I suggest looking at Ross, Tepper, and UNC Kenan-Flagler.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 07:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello Cindi,
I am a 23 year old female. I have 2 years of full time work experience in the social sector. My work entailed leadership development in head masters and teachers in the Indian government schools.
I recently gave my gmat and got a score of 600 with an IR score of 7. I am planning to retake the exam.

I have done my BBA from Symbiosis International University, India and secured a GPA of 3.6. In addition to this I have done level A1 certification in French language, have a good number of extracurricular activities to my credit and have been in a few strong leadership positions as well.

I have a fair amount of international exposure as well. I have been brought up in Canada, pursued my studies in India, have worked with the marginalized sections of rural India, and have completed a summer business course from Berlin School of Economics.

Post my MBA I would like to start my own social venture in the sector of alternative education.
I target programs are INSEAD, HEC, and the likes. I wanted to know, apart from retaking the GMAT and securing a much higher score what do I need to do to strengthen my profile? And if I go ahead and apply this year (for sept 2015 intake) what are my chances of being accepted to a good college?

Thank you
Niyati
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.61
WE: Operations (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 20:20
Thanks Cindy! Appreciate your insight.

CindyTAccepted wrote:
Hello,

There are many strengths and good coherence in your overall story. Nevertheless, I’d consider HBS an unlikely target; the other programs I’d considerreasonable reaches of varying degrees. Indeed, you might consider adding some schools in the closer reasonable-reach / on-par range – I suggest looking at Ross, Tepper, and UNC Kenan-Flagler.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 06-17-2014
GPA: 2.95
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2014, 04:49
Hi,

Thank you for the profile evaluation, I would really appreciate if you could provide me inputs on my profile and candidacy and the top 5 schools which I can consider as reasonable to try.

Age/Sex/Nationality : 29/Male/Indian
GMAT : 690 (Q50/V33)
UG Major : BE, Electronics and Communication
UG GPA : 2.9/4.0
Experience : Total 5 years
1.5 Years - Analog Devices, DSP Applications Engineer
3.5 Years- Partner and Director, Royal Mysore Walks
Recommendations : Strong
Why MBA : I want to closely associate on business development of organizations

Here is a brief about my profile:

Partner and Director of Royal Mysore Walks(Current)

1) Responsible for building a team from scratch and establishing a training model for Royal Mysore Walks
2) Responsible for having the 2 term UN Secretary, Kofi Annan with Royal Mysore Walks
3) Designed Tourism report on Mysore in collaboration with CII-Southern Region
4) Interviewed by NDTV Good Times, mentioned in The Guardian UK, Outlook Traveler India, National Geographic traveler, The Hindu.
5) Designed and delivered Corporate Team building activities, contextual learning experiences for children.
6) Winner of Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor, 2014

DSP Applications Engineer, Analog Devices (2007-2009)

1) Guest Faculty at IIT Chennai, DSP Learning Centre
2) Responsible for variable test generator, simulation of varied test situations for a DSP processor

Additional Interests

1) Worked for an NGO at Divyadeepa, a cause for alternative education, developed new models of study and fund raising
2) Founder and Owner of Inspire99 – a motivational website and responsible for content development at insightsonindia
3) Published courtesies – The Guardian UK, Outlook Traveler.
4) Cleared IAS Exams 2010, 2011.

Education

1) Engineering in Electronics and Communication with 78.35%
2) Pre University with 94.66%

Kindly let me as to what universities I can consider applying to. I am looking at Full time MBA from US and will be looking for a univ within the rank of top 50