Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.61
WE: Operations (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 13:02
Hello,

I would really appreciate any insights on my candidacy for full-time MBA programs

My profile:

Age and Ethnicity: 26 at Matriculation, Indian-born US male
GMAT: 710 (Q48, V38) AWA 6.0, IR 8
School: Regionally well-known STEM university in Northeast US
Major: Double major in Biomedical Engineering and Molecular Biology, Minor in Computer
Science
GPA: 3.61/4.00
Background and Work Experience: I was born in India but moved to the US when I was 12.
Most of my education (middle school and beyond) was done in the United States. After
graduating with high distinction with a double major, I switched focus from R&D to
Operations. I started out as an analyst in the Process Excellence group and after 6 months,
got my first promotion where I became a Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt. I started a Process
Excellence program for a manufacturing site and became part of the site management team.
Got a second promotion after 2 years where I got an additional site for which I am the
Process Excellence leader and part of the new site’s management team as well. Currently,
have two temporary direct reports (summer intern for 3 months and grant writer for 9
months). Total work experience right now is 37 months and at matriculation it will be 50
months.

Extracurricular: I was a Math and science tutor for GED students for a year during which I
spent 5 hrs/week on tutoring. I am an Everybody Wins! Reading Mentor for elementary
school kids since November 2012.

Leadership: I have had multiple leadership roles in my work environment but none in my
extracurricular activities. I mentored projects in various functional areas such as R&D,
Project Management, Quality, Production, Internal Sales, Sales Support, and Logistics. Led
several Lean Six Sigma projects that span three group functions with cost-savings of more
than $1M.

For Fun: I won’t be mentioning this in my app but I enjoy museums a lot so I have started
volunteering at an art museum soon after I finished my GMAT. Gives me a different
perspective and it’s a change of pace from my technical and scientific work environment
and colleagues.
My Career Goals:

Short-term Goals: Right after completing my MBA, I would like to work as a consultant for a
boutique biotechnology management consulting firm (Putnam Associates, Heath Advances) or for
the life sciences arm of a general management consulting firm (Bain, LEK).

Mid-term and Long-term Goals: After gaining experience and exposure as a consultant, I would like
to work as a corporate strategy analyst at a biotech/pharmaceutical company. In the long-term I
would like to continue working in corporate strategy and eventually, would like to head the group at
a leading life sciences company.

My School List: Harvard, Wharton, MIT LGO, Tuck, Duke, and Kellogg

Thanks in advance!

Lousantace
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 18:32
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your profile. You have an interesting life story and growing up in another country and then moving to the US means that you know the US well but also have a unique global perspective, so keep that in mind as something you could contribute to an MBA class. Your background + the MBA leads to your future goals in a way that makes sense, which is always a plus. The leadership experiences you have and various involvements and activities all help to paint a broader picture of who you are as a person (and I don't think you need to 'not share' the museum experience either!). Overall things are looking good, just keep in mind that you've listed some extremely competitive programs :) that are going to be a challenge even with a solid profile. Best chances from your list are going to be at Duke and Tuck as you can imagine. Be sure to highlight 'people' skills or 'soft skills' like teamwork and communication skills through your applications, to balance out your more technical and science-focused sides that are already evident.

Good luck and let us know how else we can help!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 18:52
Hi
I'm an Indian undergrad in my senior year from a top level state university(not iit) 75.6%-Top 5% of the class.
-3 Internships. One at Honeywell , one at state power generation corporation, one in a large construction firm in India.
- Worked as an internal consultant for an IT startup(held many key responsibilities including funding for modernization and re-architecture process, served as a change agent by introducing techniques like prototyping and risk assessment and management also handled a few client projects)
- 2 international publications(not ieee, one of them pure computer science related and another is based on risk assessment and an alternative solution to FMEA)
- State 3rd rank in high school examination (98.8 percent, was given special recognition at an educational fair by the then Home Minister of the State) and 93% in 10th standard.
--
Led several teams in many competitions like :

1)" Manthan"- A nationwide political competition to address 14 critical challenges that India faced in 2013(18,000 students participated in it). Led the team to 2nd place in popular category of our theme and was invited to Grand Culmination Convention which was graced by the presence of dignitaries like the Current Prime Minister of India, Finance Minister of India, Chiefs of staff of many departments and other business and thought leaders.
2)Honeywell Young Innovator Challenge, led the team to finals (competition had several phases which lasted 8 months long including show and tell session on the final day where we engaged with a crowd of more than 2000 marketing and proposing our idea. Youngest team there competed with grad school students and senior year students while we were in sophomore.was awarded an internship later)
--
Was elected as a member of the organizing committee of the annually held national level technical symposium. Was responsible for managing the entire finance and budget, monitoring cash flows, supervising event coordinators, leveraged this opportunity to create funds to the IT startup in an innovative way making them conduct workshops for students to learn new technologies with hands-on experience.
--
I'm applying to HBS 2+2 in R1 can you shed some light on my chances and also Yale Silver Scholars and Stanford GSB deferred admission (applying through the Reliance Fellowship, confident enough of being a finalist).

(Yet to give gmat expecting a good score)
P.S I also have a strong network of Influential people and I mean really influential.
( Sorry for the Lengthy info. :p)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.61
WE: Operations (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 20:11
Thanks Jen! Appreciate the candid feedback. I actually just signed up for the free 30-minute consultation with mbaMission. I have a lot more specific questions about my profile and school selection and I am looking forward to discussing them with one of your colleagues.

mbaMissionJenK wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your profile. You have an interesting life story and growing up in another country and then moving to the US means that you know the US well but also have a unique global perspective, so keep that in mind as something you could contribute to an MBA class. Your background + the MBA leads to your future goals in a way that makes sense, which is always a plus. The leadership experiences you have and various involvements and activities all help to paint a broader picture of who you are as a person (and I don't think you need to 'not share' the museum experience either!). Overall things are looking good, just keep in mind that you've listed some extremely competitive programs :) that are going to be a challenge even with a solid profile. Best chances from your list are going to be at Duke and Tuck as you can imagine. Be sure to highlight 'people' skills or 'soft skills' like teamwork and communication skills through your applications, to balance out your more technical and science-focused sides that are already evident.

Good luck and let us know how else we can help!
Expert Post

Re: MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 17:53
Expert's post
Good to hear
lousantace , glad to be of help and best wishes!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Expert Post

Re: MBA Profile Evaluation Request - Indian-American, GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 18:12
Expert's post
Hi vessantra,

Just saw your post as it was tacked on to another profile eval. ;) It sounds like you have a solid profile for the programs that accept grads right out of undergrad as you mentioned, given the way you've been able to lead various teams, go far in competitions, have had several internships, some client experience, and led change and impacted others. The GMAT will be quite important, fyi, so that will still make an impact in how strong your profile is. Your essays and recommendations will also make a difference. I'm not sure if you mentioned any community or volunteering experience; that would strengthen your profile if at all possible. It may come down to the quality of applicants and how you stack up. Wishing you all the best, and if you'd like to speak further as I mentioned to the OP you can also sign up for a free consult at any point at http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php. Good luck!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission