Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

mba programs in missouri and mba programs in Texas.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
mba programs in missouri and mba programs in Texas. [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 19:46
I might be getting a choice in relocating to Texas or relocating to Missouri.

schools in Missouri I am interested in: Olin
Schools in Texas I am interested in: Mccombs.

As of this minute, I do not qualify for any of these schools(I have crappy GMAT, and low GPA), but I am working hard to bring that up so I will be able to apply.

Just in case I do not qualify for these schools after I take the GMAT, which states have more 'fall back' schools?

Example: I do not want to move to missouri, get dinged out of Olin, and then do not have a fallback MBA program. Obviously, the fallback school has to be less competitive, but I would like it to still be somewhat well known and have well known recruiters from out of states.

anybody have any ideas?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: mba programs in missouri and mba programs in Texas. [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 06:57
Texas has several business schools throughout the state, so it largely depends on which city you live in. If you're living in Austin, UT-Austin (McCombs) is certainly your best option. If you're living in Houston, you should look at Rice (Jones). For lower ranking schools, you might consider UT-San Antonio to UT-Dallas.

I'm sure there are a few Texans on this forum that can give you more detailed advice.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: mba programs in missouri and mba programs in Texas. [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 12:12
There is also SMU (Southern Methodist University) that is surprisingly well-ranked by BusinessWeek and located in Dallas. I know almost nothing about it, but it's probably worth checking out.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: mba programs in missouri and mba programs in Texas. [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2009, 10:17
We employ a lot of University of Houston MBAs, I also know that Texas A&M (Mays School of Business) is pretty well known throughout the state.

UT
Rice
SMU
UofH
A&M
TCU

As mentioned there are others and quite a few fall back schools depending on how much fall back you need from UT.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: mba programs in missouri and mba programs in Texas. [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2009, 13:34
I went to UT for undergrad and loved Austin and UT. I wouldn't mind going back there for my MBA if I could get in and I'm sure you would love it if you went there. I know that their MBA program is top notch and is very tough to get into. The McCombs building is very nice and was easily the nicest of all the ones I went in while I was there. I had a couple of classes in there since I minored in business.

There should be at least a couple of options if you move to a major city in Texas and want to go to a school in the same city. Like the above poster said there is UT, SMU, A&M, TCU, Rice, U of H. I live in Dallas now and there are a lot of schools here with MBA programs. I'm not sure if any are good other than SMU since I haven't done much research.

You can also get your Texas MBA at Dallas if you decide to move there.

http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/dfwmba/
Re: mba programs in missouri and mba programs in Texas.   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2009, 13:34