Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1065 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1065 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
BW provides information on schools by specialty - Finance, Marketing, Operations, etc. I could not find any consolidated information on the structure of curriculum, such as % of case study, lecture based, cross-functional courses. Other aspects such as fewer core requirements and ability to take many electives sort of plays into this as well, I think.

It is hard to gather this information even from the school's websites. I'm sure some of digging would return some useful info, but I was hoping some of those who have done some research in this area when applying might have some input.

If I can compile some good info, I'll post it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
From BW online, some examples (not every school, don't even know if the majority, but here goes):

https://www.businessweek.com/@@Nke*C4QQ9 ... llogg2.htm

https://www.businessweek.com/@@Nke*C4QQ9 ... arton2.htm

https://www.businessweek.com/@@Nke*C4QQ9 ... /haas2.htm

Just check out the rest, but at least some have the info in the beggining...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
It would be nice if there was some resource that listed all the top schools with a summary of their teaching model. For instance something like:

HBS - 100% case method
Yale SOM - Integrated blah blah blah...
Wharton - 50% case, 50% blah blah blah...

Looking at school's websites doesn't always clarify exactly what their teaching model is all about, a lot of schools seem to have lots of meaningless buzzwords that talk about their cutting-edge approach without ever telling you the nuts and bolts of the teaching model.

Personally, I'm not so hot about Yale's new curriculum. If I want to concentrate in finances, I don't want to spend time l.earning marketing or large operations. That's where I like GSB's setup alot better.

On the other hand I am not sold on using earned Chicago credits as points to bid for a seat in the most popular classes. The gazillion dollars paid in tuition ought to get me in the classes I wish to take.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kelley is a realtively lower ranked school that does have the integrated curriculum and cross functional approach you talk about.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nsentra wrote:
I am not sold on using earned Chicago credits as points to bid for a seat in the most popular classes. The gazillion dollars paid in tuition ought to get me in the classes I wish to take.

Chicago likes Finance & Economics, so it uses auction theory to price its classes. If you don't like the idea of that, it stands to figure you may well not like Chicago's approach. If you can't optimise your own portfolio, why should someone employ you to maximise theirs?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]