Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Query - Management Consulting vs Real Estate Consulting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA Query - Management Consulting vs Real Estate Consulting [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 08:52
Hi Alex,

I have been reading your blogs online and have learned a lot form it, would like to thank you for all the great work.

I am planning to apply for MBA this year, I have a small query, if you could answer this I will be very grateful to you. My interest lies in Real Estate consulting by that I mean Real Estate services such as Property Management, Asset Managment, Valuation, Brokerage, Mortgage etc. Now when I apply for MBA should I mention my goal as Real Estate Consulting or Real Estate Financial services or Management Consulting with a focus on Real Estate? If you could throw some light on the difference between Real Estate consutling and Management Consulting that would be great. Thanks for your help.

Reagrds, Siddharth
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 0

Re: MBA Query - Management Consulting vs Real Estate Consulting [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
It's quite simple really.

In management consulting, you're typically hired as a generalist - meaning that you'll be staffed on whatever projects that the partners bring in. You may end up working on a supply chain project for a retailer for 5 months, then once that engagement is over, you get staffed on a reorganization strategy for an auto company for 7 months, then you're staffed on some process improvement for an insurance company (i.e. helping them cut down on paperwork) for 3 months. You're working on a variety of projects across different industries.

If you're interested in real estate as a career, you'd be wise to start in real estate. If you're unsure about what you want to do as a career, management consulting can be a good starting point.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA Query - Management Consulting vs Real Estate Consulting [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 09:30
Thanks, that really helps for newbies like us. Keep up the good work.
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA Query - Management Consulting vs Real Estate Consulting [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 11:38
Hi Alex,

One more thing, Which schools would be good for me considering my focus on Real Estate?

My profile:
Work Ex: 4 years in offshoring Companies (Bank of America and Citigroup) working in Financial/Strategy Research focussing on US Real Estate sector
Since January 2010, Vice President in a boutique Indian Real Estate Company handling the Brokerage/Leasing and Mortgage division --> this is where the MBA would help me 1) by increasing the scope 2) by giving International Exposure

Jobs Changed: 3

GMAT: 720

Acads: Bachelors in Commerce with 70%

Average Extracurricular: Corporate sponsored philonthropic events, have taken lead in educating farmers and small children, Leading the local Go Green group encouragin people to save resources, team lead for Pool club (if that counts)

Nationality: Indian

Goal: To work for Companies such as CB Richard Ellis, Jones Lang Lasalle etc and eventually put the knowledge/learning to use by opening my own Real Estate Consulting company (in my apps can I mention the names of the Companies or will they be displeased with naming companies?)

Please advice which are the schools where I would be competative? I am applying this year and need a realitic target. Was thinking about LBS, Michigan, Darden, Columbia, Insead, Nanyang, Oxford. please let me know if I need to add/substract any Thanks...
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Query - Management Consulting vs Real Estate Consulting [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 18:26
Columbia is an obvious choice as it's got one of the best real estate finance specialties anywhere.

Also, it depends on what you want to do.

Those with MBAs who go into real estate, tend to focus on real estate finance (working in investment banking that services REITS), mortgage trading (or what's left of it), and so forth.

If you're interested in real estate development, you may want to look at some of the MS Real Estate programs instead like MIT.

Of course there's overlap between the MBA and MSRE programs in terms of coursework and career opportunities in real estate, but again the MBA focus on finance, and MSRE on development.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA Query - Management Consulting vs Real Estate Consulting [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2010, 01:37
Never really thought about MSRE, had a one track mind, but will surely apply to MIT for MSRE. Thanks, much appreciated...

Regards, Sid
Re: MBA Query - Management Consulting vs Real Estate Consulting   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2010, 01:37