Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA - Return On Investment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

MBA - Return On Investment [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 13:55
Hey Gmatters,

I’m sure most of you are looking for a good return on your investment once you are finished your MBA.
I’m planning on doing my MBA in Europe and estimate that it will cost me the guts of €80/90K.
I’m unlikely to buy property in the short term. I don’t have any other major expenses such as weddings etc to fund either which makes it a bit easier to justify the cost.

I’m interested to hear how people are going to recoup the cost and in what time frame.

I’m conscious that if I don’t get a job as a Management Consultant or Banker my MBA qualification is unlikely to yield a higher income straight away.

Please prove me wrong on this!

Thanks,

Aztec
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: MBA - Return On Investment [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 14:33
Aztec wrote:
Hey Gmatters,

I’m sure most of you are looking for a good return on your investment once you are finished your MBA.
I’m planning on doing my MBA in Europe and estimate that it will cost me the guts of €80/90K.
I’m unlikely to buy property in the short term. I don’t have any other major expenses such as weddings etc to fund either which makes it a bit easier to justify the cost.

I’m interested to hear how people are going to recoup the cost and in what time frame.

I’m conscious that if I don’t get a job as a Management Consultant or Banker my MBA qualification is unlikely to yield a higher income straight away.

Please prove me wrong on this!

Thanks,

Aztec

Here's a link to a handy ROI tool put together by ryguy:

the-true-value-of-your-mba-v-74335.html#p554842

Generally, depending on what you're currently earning, there's a chance you won't make a higher income right after graduation. I know I likely won't and I'm sure there are others in the same boat as me. But just looking at salaries doesn't account for the intangible benefits of an MBA, such as being able to switch into a career that is more fulfilling to you. Also, while your immediate post-MBA salary may not be significantly higher than it would be without an MBA, there is an argument to be made that the MBA positions you in the long term for roles you wouldn't otherwise have access to (either because of the qualification itself or the network that comes with it) and so in the long term will yield financial rewards.

Those were the 2 main ways I justified the cost for my own MBA.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: MBA - Return On Investment [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 16:52
I hope to do three things:

- keep costs in check while in school without sacrificing any major opportunities
- hopefully line up an internship with a company and get a full-time offer with a promise to pay my 2nd years tuition
- post-MBA: live like I did when I graduated college the first time (small apartment, etc) and get the loans paid off ASAP

RF

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: MBA - Return On Investment [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 19:04
Very few companies outside of MC pay for 2nd year and of those its usually the second tier that do that in hopes of keeping interns from jumping to M/B/B. Some roles/industries pay extremely well, you may luck out and find something you want to do actually pays well. I know companies who pay 120k+. How fast you get a positive ROI really depends on several things cost of living, how well you live, and how much you make. You might make 95k but live in a very cheap area and live reasonably frugally and be in the black in a much shorter time than someone making 150k living in San Fran who lives a more lavish lifestyle.

Also if people didnt do well long term in things outside of MC/IB 50% of people going into MBAs would even bother...so for the vast majority of people it makes sense. It might take you 3 years or 10...how long it takes and whether that is worth it will vary person to person.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: MBA - Return On Investment [#permalink] New post 29 May 2009, 13:16
riverripper wrote:
Very few companies outside of MC pay for 2nd year and of those its usually the second tier that do that in hopes of keeping interns from jumping to M/B/B.

One can dream, right?

RF

Re: MBA - Return On Investment   [#permalink] 29 May 2009, 13:16