Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA schools for someone with engineering background

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

MBA schools for someone with engineering background [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 07:11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi, I am from an engineering background and i work with one of the hard disk company as a new product introduction engineer.

I did some research and i realized that most MBA schools especially those in Europe focus mainly on finance/management. I am more interested in entrepreneurship and technology, so i have targeted US because of Silicon Valley. My current choice is Berkeley but i might have to reconsider because of the fees since it's a 2 year program.

What other schools in US will suit me?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: MBA schools for someone with engineering background [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
I would look specifically at what you want to get out of the MBA, and what your intended career path will be. If you aren't sure yet, talking to others in your field may help give you an idea. You should be targeting schools based on how they will help you achieve your future career goals. If you want to go into technical strategic planning and use the MBA to help you understand market data and long-term planning, that may be different from wanting to develop collaboration and soft skills so that you can move to a business development type role.

You can also look at class profiles for schools you are interested in. That will give you an idea of how many people with engineering backgrounds are going into a respective field. Youtube can also be helpful to get input from Alumni and what they gained from a specific program. If you start with 3-5 schools and look at these items, you will likely be able to branch out from there and identify other schools that target similar types of career goals.
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA schools for someone with engineering background [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 07:05
Micah wrote:
I would look specifically at what you want to get out of the MBA, and what your intended career path will be. If you aren't sure yet, talking to others in your field may help give you an idea. You should be targeting schools based on how they will help you achieve your future career goals. If you want to go into technical strategic planning and use the MBA to help you understand market data and long-term planning, that may be different from wanting to develop collaboration and soft skills so that you can move to a business development type role.

You can also look at class profiles for schools you are interested in. That will give you an idea of how many people with engineering backgrounds are going into a respective field. Youtube can also be helpful to get input from Alumni and what they gained from a specific program. If you start with 3-5 schools and look at these items, you will likely be able to branch out from there and identify other schools that target similar types of career goals.

Well to me an MBA would mean having the business knowledge while knowing my engineering stuffs. I plan to move into entrepreneurship eventually. To be honest, most people in my field in my country seem quite contented with life and that's one of the reason why i can't seem to get much advise. I'm looking at schools that focus more towards technology and entrepreneurship sectors and that's how Berkeley came into the picture.

I have been doing that actually, Youtube helps a lot. I realized most of the schools in UK, although one year they seem to focus more on finance related courses. I might be wrong though because i'm still doing my research. :-D
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2287

Kudos [?]: 8909 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MBA schools for someone with engineering background [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 13:35
Expert's post
A number of programs (esp the 2-year ones) offer quite a few electives in your second year where you can focus on really ANYTHING. There is a tendency to have strategy, marketing, and finance as the core courses but that's becuase those elements are present in every business.... engineering and entrepreneurship are not. Most bschools will have a business pan course/competition. As to technology specifically, there is a variety of courses as well as you can't avoid technology :-)

P.S. For the technology and entrepreneurship, is MBA really the best way for you to go? It seems to make little sense to take on $100K of debt (or expense if you have the money) right before starting a business. Usually MBA is not the best (usually is the keyword) recommendation for those wanting to start a business. I am sure you are looking at that and the school network can be very helpful (a number of schools have incubators/help for startups such as Booth) but you need to research that.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA schools for someone with engineering background [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 00:37
bb wrote:
A number of programs (esp the 2-year ones) offer quite a few electives in your second year where you can focus on really ANYTHING. There is a tendency to have strategy, marketing, and finance as the core courses but that's because those elements are present in every business.... engineering and entrepreneurship are not. Most bschools will have a business pan course/competition. As to technology specifically, there is a variety of courses as well as you can't avoid technology :-)

P.S. For the technology and entrepreneurship, is MBA really the best way for you to go? It seems to make little sense to take on $100K of debt (or expense if you have the money) right before starting a business. Usually MBA is not the best (usually is the keyword) recommendation for those wanting to start a business. I am sure you are looking at that and the school network can be very helpful (a number of schools have incubators/help for startups such as Booth) but you need to research that.

Well, what you mentioned about the 2 years program is quite true. The cost is definitely exorbitant but my idea of an MBA is to give me the finance, marketing and business courses exposure. (while not going too deep at the same time)

A little bit to share about myself at the moment: I'm with new product development and i find my current industry is a little stagnant and it is not my real passion. I'm still ok with product development though. To honest, i can't even see myself in the same job for another year and i seem to be losing direction. This is the time where i though pursuing MBA would be a good choice to expose myself more towards a complete picture of a start up. Over the last few years, start-ups have been my interest if it's related to my passion. I don't mind working hard for it but i can't see the same future working for a big organization/corporate lifestyle. Feel free to feedback. :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: MBA schools for someone with engineering background [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 10:28
I am also in the same sitaution with a computer science degree and working in IT for last 3 yrs.But i want to pursue my career in IT.Could some one please list down some top b schools in US for MIS?Fees is also a constraint for me so a less expensive school is best for me.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA schools for someone with engineering background [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 05:21
Hi All!

I am a student at Yale Law School and the co-founder of an admissions counseling company, inGenius Prep (www.ingeniusprep.com), which helps students build their candidacy and perfect their applications for competitive business schools.

Our students have the opportunity to work one-on-one with expert admissions counselors. Our team includes former admissions officers from the top business schools in the country, including: Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, and more.

If you're thinking of applying to business school, and would like to learn more about us, you can check out our website (www.ingeniusprep.com), or shoot me an email at info@ingeniusprep.com.
Re: MBA schools for someone with engineering background   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2013, 05:21