Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 13:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA SOP Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

MBA SOP Review [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 16:54
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of applying to multiple unnamed business schools, and I am having some difficulty with my Statement of Purpose. I have posted my first draft below, with some emissions, and was hoping for some constructive criticism. Please feel free to reply or message me directly. All comments will be greatly appreciated.

Requirements: "your Statement of Purpose should clearly and concisely describe your personal and professional objectives and your commitment to graduate study. (Length: approximately 300-500 words)"

*cannot adjust formatting for this post*

My early undergraduate endeavor was fraught with uncertainty and illness that precluded me from obtaining academic success. During this time, my preoccupations rested with the ability to maintain stable employment, which relegated academic commitments to an afterthought. I ultimately completed my associate’s degree, albeit in a manner not indicative of my intellectual competency.
The desire to achieve my bachelor’s degree came to fruition several years later, but these intentions were met with resistance. At sixteen, I was diagnosed with ____________; this would remain in remission for nearly a decade. In autumn 2009, I had resumed my studies, but soon relapsed. My academic performance suffered greatly during this period. As I physically improved, financial hardship dictated that my educational aspirations be placed on hold.
My professional experience began four years ago, when I was made manager of _______________. This position has allowed me to gain insight into multiple facets of business operations, including financial management, staffing, and marketing, which proved to be instrumental during my academic hiatus. The responsibilities that this position has instilled upon me have undoubtedly cultivated my passion for a career in business.
Some of my managerial responsibilities have been in marketing, such as with the development and implementation of cross-promotional campaigns. The managerial and marketing experience that I gained have served to focus my career aspirations. I realized that additional education would be required for any future advancement, so last winter, I chose to resume the pursuit of my bachelor’s degree. Since then, I have maintained full-time employment, while fulfilling my academic obligations. The grades that I have received during this period are indicative of a renewed academic vigor.
As the conclusion of my undergraduate studies nears, much thought has been placed into my future. Marketing has been the discipline that has given me the greatest satisfaction; the formulation and implementation of a strategy is something that appeals to me on both an intellectual and personal level. My undergraduate coursework in marketing has served to deepen this passion.
I wish to obtain a career with an internationally recognized corporation developing marketing strategies for their products. The consumer electronics industry has always fascinated me, and it is one that seems poised for growth, necessitating the need for strong marketing campaigns. A master’s of business administration degree, with a focus in marketing, would undoubtedly expand upon my present skill sets, while providing me with the necessary knowledge to obtain my career aspirations.
The ______________ School of Business offers a comprehensive management and marketing program that would be conducive towards my goal. The reputation of the university and its faculty, the comprehensive educational program, and the academic flexibility that is offered, are all leading factors in my decision to apply. I feel that my personal and professional experiences have served to strengthen my character by allowing me to develop into a highly responsible and motivated individual.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: MBA SOP Review [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 17:33
I think you're mixing two essays together. You should have one about your career aspirations and how an MBA will get you there, and then you should use the optional essay to explain your illness/undergrad situation. That said, you spend way too much time outlining the undergrad story and not nearly enough explaining your goals and how your experiences have prepared you for them.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA SOP Review [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 05:56
machichi wrote:
I think you're mixing two essays together. You should have one about your career aspirations and how an MBA will get you there, and then you should use the optional essay to explain your illness/undergrad situation. That said, you spend way too much time outlining the undergrad story and not nearly enough explaining your goals and how your experiences have prepared you for them.

These were also my sentiments. The reason that I dwell upon the undergrad story is because the grades that I received early on were not very good, or reflective of my capabilities. I will try to reformulate the essay with your recommendation of splitting my current draft into two. Thanks for your help.
Re: MBA SOP Review   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2013, 05:56