Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 01:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA then MBA again

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 181 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
MBA then MBA again [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
I was curious why if you get an MBA from another lower school, then try to apply to a higher school do the higher schools look down on this?

I don't have my MBA. I just graduated from undergrad in August. I just wanted to read your thoughts on this. Cause I have a few friends with MBA's and they want to go back to get a better MBA for contacts etc...

Also what about a MSF? If I were to get an MSF then go for my MBA would this be favored or would I be in the same boat as a person with an MBA applying for another MBA.

Thanks
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

Re: MBA then MBA again [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 15:40
This post received
KUDOS
Most quality MBA programs don't allow for a second MBA. Your friends would have to clearly demonstrate that their first MBA program utterly failed them and that a second one is truly necessary.

Dumb and expensive way to try to build connections, though. That's what professional associations and networking is for. They should have gone for better quality MBAs the first time.

I have no idea what an MSF is, so I can't comment there. :-)
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA then MBA again [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 16:15
This post received
KUDOS
I cannot argue with any1 about the idea's quality. but To me it is a good idea. I am going to have MSc in acc and finance or just finance then get a good pay job at big4 or small org and work for about 2-3 yrs then do MBA or ACA may be CFA and go to IBANK finally. why to do mba twice, first do MSF and then work after then do mba.

good luck.
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Michigan - Ross 2010

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA then MBA again [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 12:26
Blackbelt,

I s/b the best to answer this question since I already have an MBA from a small state clollege down south from 8 years ago. It VERY much complicated my "real MBA" process. So far I have come accross 4 type of schools in regards to their approach to a previous MBA:

1) Flat out no due to school policy : Northwestern,NYU,Tuck,Duke,UNC,USC,UCLA,Berkeley
2) Yes but have to be strongly addressed in optional essay : H/S/W, Michigan,Chicago,MIT,Carnegie-Mellon, Ivey (Canada)
3) Yes but strongly discouraged: Yale
4) Clueless (which is not a good sign) : Emory, Georgia Tech

All in all it closes a lot of doors on one's face right at the start. Every MBA event I attended, I had to ask this issue as my first question and had a lot of "sorry..." in response. The schools who ask for an additional essay differ in their enthusiasm, and potentially in their sincerity. And even if they are sincere, the previous MBA is clearly a disadvantage.

So far it does nothing but complicate the application process. I do not recommend getting one "just for getting it" and then going for the "real" one. I've had one due to a bad decision made 8 years ago.My advice would be : Be ready for a much tougher road to admittance if you already have an MBA.

Hope this helps...
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Michigan - Ross 2010

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA then MBA again [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 12:28
Sorry I forgot, MSF will not be working against you, and in some cases may even work for you demonstrating a strong interest and experience in quantitative financial matters. I never heard anything against it in all my research.
Re: MBA then MBA again   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2008, 12:28