Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA - to do or not to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA - to do or not to [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 21:10
All,

I have posted earlier in this forum and finally i think i now know what question to ask !!! It is simply to or not to do the MBA.
Let me phrase my questions and ask you directly the following:

I am currrently at the lower-middle management of my IT company ie a Project Manager. I have 10 years of IT experience and 32 is my age.I earn about 12,00,000 + (Indian Rupees) p.a . I am already seeing a lot of saturation in the industry as well as in my company in terms of upward growth.So my questions are:

1. Would a GMAT+MBA take me to the next steps in my company faster and higher?

2. Doing a MBA abroad for 2 year, is it worth the time and money? I am aware that Europe & Aus is expensive in terms of living etc, so the real danger for me is, after spending so much would I actually be in a position to come back to this IT industry and see a real jump in my career and also in terms of money?

3) Can I do a MBA which, in case, things dont work out in IT, would keep me in the race in some other sector, say Finance. What do you recommend? I have a BS(Computer Science).

These questions are confusing and I am just not able to make up my mind. The question is actually simple, need to go higher faster but how and is it the right way?

Please advise.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA - to do or not to [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 06:06
I am no IT or MBA guru but here are my 2 cents or paise.

It depends on whether your company values an MBA. There are some industries and functions where an MBA is not really going to add value. If you find that some or most of the current employees in your preferred function/role have MBA's, then you might want to talk to them about it. Having no idea about your preferred role etc, I would say that for most people, an MBA is a long term investment. While everyone wants instant gratification, you might have to think of your long term goals.

2. Doing a MBA abroad for 2 year, is it worth the time and money? I am aware that Europe & Aus is expensive in terms of living etc, so the real danger for me is, after spending so much would I actually be in a position to come back to this IT industry and see a real jump in my career and also in terms of money?
Again- you need to look into the ROI of this. You might want to use the spreadsheet created by Ryguy which will help you understand the break even time frame. For most of us the breakeven time frame is about 5-6 years.

3) Can I do a MBA which, in case, things dont work out in IT, would keep me in the race in some other sector, say Finance. What do you recommend? I have a BS(Computer Science).
This depends on a lot of functions- 1 - geographic location of MBA and job. 2- the job market
Having said that, most MBA students are career switchers and you will find a bunch moving from IT to finance.

Other notes:
Have you thought about doing a PT/Executive MBA in India?
Doing an MBA for the sake of doing an MBA is never a good thing.

mathan wrote:
All,

I have posted earlier in this forum and finally i think i now know what question to ask !!! It is simply to or not to do the MBA.
Let me phrase my questions and ask you directly the following:

I am currrently at the lower-middle management of my IT company ie a Project Manager. I have 10 years of IT experience and 32 is my age.I earn about 12,00,000 + (Indian Rupees) p.a . I am already seeing a lot of saturation in the industry as well as in my company in terms of upward growth.So my questions are:

These questions are confusing and I am just not able to make up my mind. The question is actually simple, need to go higher faster but how and is it the right way?

Please advise.
Re: MBA - to do or not to   [#permalink] 27 May 2008, 06:06