Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA@UNC - First Ever Online MBA at a Top 25 MBA Program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
MBA@UNC - First Ever Online MBA at a Top 25 MBA Program [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 13:55
Everone,

UNC Kenan Flagler has announced that they will be offering a new online MBA program starting this July. The program is all online combined with 8 immersion weekends around the world and in Chapel Hill. The cost is the same as out of state tuition and the MBA is the same one as what you would get with their daytime and executive MBA programs. To my knowledge, this is the first of its kind at a top 25 MBA program.

Has anyone looked at this? I gave up on my MBA dreams a couple of years ago with this economy, but this seems interesting.

Below is the email I sent to bb with my concerns:

bb,

I hope your doing well. I don't know if you remember me, my name is Ben **** and we exchanged emails a few years ago. I had my heart set on UNC Kenan Flagler, but did not get acceptance and although I haven't really given up on the MBA idea, with the economy the way it is I'm afraid to leave a job. Funny thing has happened, I got an email from UNC last week and they want me to apply for their new MBA@UNC online MBA program. Its the first of its kind from a top 25 university. I wanted to ask you what your thoughts on the program were and if you have heard anything about it. The folks at UNC told me that its the same MBA as their full time and executive programs, but I worry about losing out on the networking you can do at a full time program. I would also be in the first class ever, so I worry about their placement after I'm done.

Anyway, I hope you are well - thank you for your help. You could say that this has all blind sided me!

Ben
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA@UNC - First Ever Online MBA at a Top 25 MBA Program [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 17:05
In the top 25 realm, both Duke and Indiana offer distance MBAs. The Duke one sounds most like the UNC one -- I believe it's called the Cross-Continent program, but they are definitely newer offerings.

You'll find people on both sides of the fence with this one. Some people question the academics and the networking you'll gain from an online MBA program. They'll also tell you that your initial career prospects won't be as good -- and they'll be right.

Other people will tell you that what you learn is up to you, however your program is delivered. They'll tell you that networking is better on the Internet than in a classroom.

Ultimately, it's all about a mixture of ROI and self-fulfillment. If the online MBA program provides you with value and confidence, and it's your best chance to get this level of education/brand/network, then go for it.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: MBA@UNC - First Ever Online MBA at a Top 25 MBA Program [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 03:10
method wrote:
In the top 25 realm, both Duke and Indiana offer distance MBAs. The Duke one sounds most like the UNC one -- I believe it's called the Cross-Continent program, but they are definitely newer offerings.

You'll find people on both sides of the fence with this one. Some people question the academics and the networking you'll gain from an online MBA program. They'll also tell you that your initial career prospects won't be as good -- and they'll be right.

Other people will tell you that what you learn is up to you, however your program is delivered. They'll tell you that networking is better on the Internet than in a classroom.

Ultimately, it's all about a mixture of ROI and self-fulfillment. If the online MBA program provides you with value and confidence, and it's your best chance to get this level of education/brand/network, then go for it.

Duke's Cross Continent program is completely different than UNC's online program! that does not make much sense to compare those two. (Duke has most of the teaching/classes "face to face", during the residencies at global locations)

UNC's online program is "completely" online and, my 2 cents, it's really contrary to what an MBA education stands for. I guess that's nothing but a marketing trick just to have themselves say that "we're the only xx school who offers such a thing" while making some bucks- not to bash UNC- they have a very good "normal" MBA program... also they have the OneMBA program- that is more like Duke's cross continent program or other top schools' global executive programs (read Booth, NYU Trium, Darden...)
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA@UNC - First Ever Online MBA at a Top 25 MBA Program [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 04:17
I don't know much about the UNC program, but the OP said that "the program is all online combined with 8 immersion weekends around the world and in Chapel Hill." That does actually sound like Cross-Continent to me -- they do study at home, but also go around the world for residencies.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA@UNC - First Ever Online MBA at a Top 25 MBA Program [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 05:16
It looks pricey to me at out of state tuition. The platform delivery is actually cheaper and scalable for UNC than FT classroom teaching. I did some distance learning and believe that one misses class room discussions and soundboard for own ideas. There are also some hiccups in delivery even with today's technology. Apart from Duke, Warwick in the UK offers a good online MBA with the identical syllabus of its FT programme. Warwick has a few years track record and is also more err affordable than UNC.
Re: MBA@UNC - First Ever Online MBA at a Top 25 MBA Program   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2011, 05:16