Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Unique Background - Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA Unique Background - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 13:12
I am a 23 year Asian male with about 2 years of work experience. My goal, and reason for getting an MBA, is to gain strong management skills, a bigger alumni network, and be in a position where I can contribute to the future state of Housing Policy, (FHFA, Think-tanks, etc).

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.

I currently work in the Workout & Special Asset Restructuring Group at a GSE. My current responsibilities include analyzing and working with distressed counterparties, work on various settlement type deals/workout solutions, and provide coverage on the mortgage and bond insurance industry. As of late, due to the unique situation, my responsibilities have grown and I find myself being pulled into alot high-profile projects that I can talk to in my essays. I also have in mind a few candidates that can support my experiences and write strong recommendations.

To quickly add, I started a year ago in a rotation program going through various risk management and capital market roles. I have been at the company for 2 years.

2) Your GMAT.

I have been testing around the 720 to 740 range.

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

James Madison University, 3.4 Cumulative GPA
Triple Major in Quantitative Finance, Financial Economics, and Mathematics
Class 2010.

In terms of postgraduate education, I am currently a Level 3 Candidate in the CFA Program.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

In college I was involved in leadership roles in my fraternity, the interfratenity council, and was a portfolio manager in a student-run investment fund.

Now that I have graduated, I have been involved with Habitat for Humanity in my spare time.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

Level 3 Candidate in the CFA Program

6) Your target programs.

Chicago, Harvard, Wharton, Northwestern, Stanford, Columbia, UVA, Georgetown

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 455 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Unique Background - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 12:49
Expert's post
Okay sir,
What you have written is a bit thin for me to tell you your chances really. Obviously you are gonna have to get your GMAT score. If you hit a 740 you should be good enough (in terms of GMAT at least) to apply anywhere you want. But just having a finance career and a CFA is not gonna be enough to get you into top schools. Have you LED in finance? do you have very strong extra currics? Have you led there? Do you have any other side businesses/ entrepeneurships? Are you a pro or semi pro sports player?

Its hard to evaluate what "involved in leadership roles in my fraternity" is. If you led a student festival and 5000 people came and you raised 60$K, then I would say you have good leadership. If you just had a passive position, maybe less.

And if you DO hit your 740, then your school list is pretty good, as you have two schools that should be comptetitive for you.

Now, go get us that grade!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Unique Background - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 02:41
Hello there

If you wish to apply to top business schools then one of the prerequisites is having significant work experience. Generally candidates have around 4-5 years of full time experience in spite of several term time projects or jobs; so you may be competing with other candidates who have 4-5 years of full time experience and have started significant initiatives at college.

Hence, we would advise you to gain some full time work experience before you decide to apply for an MBA. If you don’t wish to do so them, you could look at the HBS 2+2 program or the Yale Silver Scholars program.

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Re: MBA Unique Background - Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2011, 02:41