Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 11:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA vs Accounting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

MBA vs Accounting [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 19:53
Here is the thing. I am thinking about going back to school and make career changes. I hope that I will have more financial freedoms and upward mobility. I have to make decision in two months.

Option 1: I only need 6 more accounting courses to sit for the CPA exam that I can take at any community colleges or UC Extensions. If I pass the exam successfully then I could get the license in one-year with my 150 undergrad units. This process may cost me $10000 including housing and meal. If everything is smooth then I will get CPA license in two years from now. Btw, I am not a big fan of tax, but if it is the best option then I will do. I don’t know if I will be happy with this career. If I go with first option then it might take longer, but I might get into a better MBA programs (M7) in my mid-30s with CPA licenses and working experiences and maybe less financial burdens.

Option 2: I can study at one-year alumni-MBA program which is a mediocre school (I don’t have to take GMAT). It offers night classes which allow me work full-time during day which pays $2000/mos. It will cost me about $24000 a year including housing and other expenses. I need to take $10,000 loan. It might harder for me to land a well paying jobs right after graduation since it is not a highly regarded MBA program with limitted net-work. However, I might take a shot since I speak Mandarin which is "in demand". It takes me one-year to finish with only $10,000 debts.

I am 26years old single. I went to small Christian private major in Business.
WE: one-year full-time new account staff at a small community bank.
Career goal: Getting into mainstream corporate America which pays well. At least 50k first year after tax. I am pacifically interested in working at a U.S. petroleum or consulting companies that works with China. Eventually open my own consulting company.

I really appreciate your comments and advices.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA vs Accounting   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2010, 19:53