Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 07:51

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session With Kristen Egan - Assistant Director of Admissions at Darden Business School.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Let's take a Poll!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which one is better choice for me?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Let's take a Poll!!! HELP!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 15:37
Which one is the best option for me?

Here is the thing. I am thinking about going back to school and make career changes. I hope that I will have more financial freedoms and upward mobility. I have to make decision in two months.

Option 1: I only need 6 more accounting courses to sit for the CPA exam that I can take at any community colleges or UC Extensions. If I pass the exam successfully then I could get the license in one-year with my 150 undergrad units. If everything is smooth then I will get CPA license in two years from now. Btw, I am not a big fan of tax, but if it is the best option then I will do. I don’t know if I will be happy with this career. If I go with first option then it might take longer, but I might get into a better MBA programs (M7) in my mid-30s with CPA licenses and working experiences and maybe less financial burdens.

Option 2: I can study at one-year alumni-MBA program which is a mediocre school (I don’t have to take GMAT). It offers night classes which allow me work full-time during day. I need to take $10,000 loan tho. It might harder for me to land a well paying jobs right after graduation since it is not a highly regarded MBA program with limitted net-work. However, I might take a shot since I speak Mandarin which is "in demand".

About Me:
26yo single male.
Undergrad: small Christian private.
Major: Business, GPA: 3.80.
WE: one-year full-time new account staff at a local community bank.
Non-resident: Fluent in Korean, and Mandarin, Chinese.
Career goal: Getting into mainstream corporate America which pays well. At least 50k first year after tax. I am pacifically interested in working at a U.S. petroleum or consulting companies that works with China. Eventually open my own consulting company.

I really appreciate your comments and advices.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Let's take a Poll!!! HELP!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 19:00
This post received
KUDOS
a smart man once said "you can only get your MBA once". if that's what you ultimately want to get, then i'd take this advice (note: i'm not actually sure if a man or woman said it)

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Let's take a Poll!!! HELP!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 19:54
shadowsjc wrote:
a smart man once said "you can only get your MBA once". if that's what you ultimately want to get, then i'd take this advice (note: i'm not actually sure if a man or woman said it)

She said it. Thanks. :)

"If you want to keep your job and just want to take an MBA for additional knowledge, then by all means, take up the part time. However, if youd really like the full experience, if you can afford it, I would encourage you to take the full time degree because it’s a one of a lifetime experience (e.g., you can only get your MBA once). Might as well do it the best way you can."
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Schools: Duke - Fuqua
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Let's take a Poll!!! HELP!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
It's funny but I sort of did your option #1 myself. I went back to school some years ago at the local community college to get a bunch of courses for the CPA exam. I passed that sucker, passed another exam for the CFE, and now I'm looking at getting into a top MBA school. I'm definitely doing well financially, have some relatively strong work experience, and did above average in other areas. I'd much rather take this path then take the path of least resistance and hit a mediocre school for my MBA.

On another note, quite a few CPAs never touch taxes. I myself rarely get involved in the things. CPAs can often be broken down into 3 categories: tax preparers, auditors, and business consultants. I much prefer management consultation and financial planning. Keep the taxes away!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 67

Re: Let's take a Poll!!! HELP!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Bias: I went the CPA route, though out of college.

With Option 1, you can still do the MBA route later if you don't like the accounting and could also be well positioned for an Exec MBA. (You can probably get through the exam/experience required and apply before mid-30s, the application period and experience window can overlap)

Option 2 - Take a look around the boards for how helpful a strong brand/network can be.

Option #1 will let you reach your goal while giving you the option to improve further later down the road, while Option #2 seems to have weaker prospects now (unless your linguistic skills can help you) will little recourse later on.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Let's take a Poll!!! HELP!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 14:50
I hope you picked the CPA route. I wouldn't bank on your Mandarin skills since 1 out of 5 people in the world speak it.
Re: Let's take a Poll!!! HELP!!!!!!!!   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2011, 14:50