Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA vs MSc

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

MBA vs MSc [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 11:48
Hi guys!

I need your help cause i'm a little bit confused. In the near future i'm planning to make a career switch from IT to Finance, and to be honest i don't know what to do. I mean what i should choose. From one side I want to get a good deep financial knowledge. From another side I do not want to loose my time for getting master degree + MBA in addition to MSc. Does it really worth to apply to MBA focused on finance or it's better to get MS in Finance first and in 2-3 years apply for MBA? The best variant for me is a combination of strong finance and management. What do you think? What can you advise?

2 words about myself.
30 years old.
Strong IT background (6 years of experience: consulting, IT audit, IT management)

Thanks for help.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 6

Re: MBA vs MSc [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 20:22
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
I spent most of my career in finance (investment banking, sales and trading, and investment management marketing) before going to the dark side of admissions consulting. When it comes to the MBA vs. a Masters in Finance, I think in all cases, it really depends on what you want to do.

Very very very briefly, the master in finance is far more quantitative and has a lot of focus on mathematical modeling. When I worked at a large investment management firm that was focused on quantitative methods, I saw a lot of masters in finance along with PhD's in stuff like physics. My MBA didn't hold as much currency there as it did when I worked in investment banking or even in sales and trading.

Then of course, there's the question about CFA rather than the MBA, which I believe is discussed somewhere else on this board.

The MBA teaches lots of finance courses, and you can concentrate in that subject at some schools. The experience is different because the MBA is much more holistic. I could go on and on, so if you have any specific queries, feel free to PM me.

As for the specific question of getting an MS in finance first and then an MBA, I don't think that is that useful or common. I suggest picking one or the other.

Best of luck!

Betsy

Betsy Massar
Founder
Master Admissions
www.masteradmissions.com
Author of Admitted: An Interactive Workbook for Getting into a Top MBA Program
www.admittedmba.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 6

Re: MBA vs MSc [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
I believe you can apply during college, but you will be considered with students who have more work experience than you (up to one year), so you may not be viewed as competitive. That is, your experience up to this point may not be seen as adding to the class as much as someone who has been on the job for a while.

Duke fields more college students than LBS, I believe.

Betsy Massar
Founder
Master Admissions
www.masteradmissions.com
www.admittedmba.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA vs MSc [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 22:56
I have a Msc and want to do MBA too. I guess MBA is more about networking with your classmate. good MBA = Good salary. more or less.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: MBA vs MSc [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 02:04
I wanna know whether I can apply to LBS MiM program while being still in college, final year, so that I can join straight from college.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: MBA vs MSc [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 08:42
Hi Kansas,
The MiM program is available for those who have less than 12 months of full-time work experience. Here's the link
http://www.london.edu/programmes/mastersinmanagement.html

Here's some info from the LBS website:
Quote:
Who is the Masters in Management designed for?

The Masters in Management programme is aimed at recent graduates with less than one year of full-time postgraduate work experience and who have the motivation and desire to build a strong foundation for a career in business.

To join the programme, you will have:

A good undergraduate degree from any study discipline
Excelled in non-academic areas such as sports or the arts, or shown your leadership potential in community activities
Less than one year of full-time, postgraduate work experience.

It's not a Master in Finance, just to be clear.

Another great post-college option is the Duke MMS program
[url]
http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/othe ... _business/[/url]

And if you really are from Kansas, you know that Duke has a much better basketball team than anything London could ever offer. :)

Betsy Massar
Founder
Master Admissions
www.masteradmissions.com
www.admittedmba.com

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA vs MSc [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 09:14
MasterAdmissions wrote:
Hi Kansas,
The MiM program is available for those who have less than 12 months of full-time work experience. Here's the link
Here's some info from the LBS website:
Quote:
Who is the Masters in Management designed for?

The Masters in Management programme is aimed at recent graduates with less than one year of full-time postgraduate work experience and who have the motivation and desire to build a strong foundation for a career in business.

To join the programme, you will have:

A good undergraduate degree from any study discipline
Excelled in non-academic areas such as sports or the arts, or shown your leadership potential in community activities
Less than one year of full-time, postgraduate work experience.

It's not a Master in Finance, just to be clear.

Another great post-college option is the Duke MMS program

And if you really are from Kansas, you know that Duke has a much better basketball team than anything London could ever offer. :)

Thanks for your help very much. So does that mean, I have to complete my college degree and then apply the subsequent October. I am asking this question again because some sites are telling me that MiM programs are open to college seniors and they can apply while still being in the final year of the college. So if you have any specific idea abut the LBS, please share.
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA vs MSc [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 09:30
MasterAdmissions wrote:
I believe you can apply during college, but you will be considered with students who have more work experience than you (up to one year), so you may not be viewed as competitive. That is, your experience up to this point may not be seen as adding to the class as much as someone who has been on the job for a while.

Thank you so much Sir. And I m not from Kansas; I like the city.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA vs MSc [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 20:54
Kansas wrote:
MasterAdmissions wrote:

Thank you so much Sir. And I m not from Kansas; I like the city.

Do MBA in Germany is another option. Bearing in mind the school fee.

<a href="http​://www.aml​moving.com​/">安佳 ​​</a>
Re: MBA vs MSc   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2012, 20:54