Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 23:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Vs Start Up Mentor

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

MBA Vs Start Up Mentor [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 05:06
HI All

Recently I have been considering, given my interest in entrepreneurship and strategy, whether or not it would be more worthwhile spending 2 years working with a 'proven' mentor at a start up.

There are lots of start ups out there being run by guys who have played major roles in some of the recent decades biggest tech names, for example.

What are peoples opinions on this? A friend of mine thinks that given my ultimate goal of running my own firm, finding a good mentor would be far more beneficial (and cheaper!) than doing an MBA

thoughts? experiences?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MBA Vs Start Up Mentor [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 06:39
Expert's post
Academically, MBA provides you with the fundamentals on how businesses are run. However, the biggest advantage of an MBA is the network that it provides you. Albeit, most schools network are in the traditional business circle.

With the start up mentor, it really depends on who the mentor is? What kind of start up it is? What your role would be? With the start up scene, the network is very important in bringing in funding and expertise. The network and expertise one has is usually limited in a specific industry. Say if you are interested in high-tech start up, but your mentor’s experience is in biotech, the mentorship may not be as helpful. Also, what role will you play in the company? If you are just a worker bee, you won’t see/participate in all the intricacies and the strategic decisions that happen. The chances are, you probably won’t unless you are an equity partner.

I would pass up MBA for the perfect start up opportunity, but would be very careful with the start up mentor. Make sure you are getting something out of it, and not being used a cheap labor.

Diversity

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: MBA Vs Start Up Mentor [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 07:53
Thanks - Overall I agree with you.

The network you attain during an MBA is obviously a massive plus, and finding the 'right' mentor at a start up is risky..

To be honest though, as far as I see it, aside from teh cost the biggest downside of doing an MBA is wasting tonnes of time doing basic financial modelling, which could be gleaned from a book..

Life is too short to sit with a bunch of people trying to work out what WACC is..
Re: MBA Vs Start Up Mentor   [#permalink] 09 May 2012, 07:53