Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA without recommendations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA without recommendations [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 06:06
Hello everyone,

As you noted from the subject line, I am thinking about applying to an MBA program; however, I most likely will not have the recommendations from my supervisors. Let me explain... I am a J.D. and LL.M. My current employer is my only employer; I work in a small specialized sub-group and have worked with the same 4 people since graduation. So you see my dilemma... they will be suprised that I am even considering going back to school. Also, in case I don't get in, I don't want them thinking / knowing that I won't be staying much longer. My motivation and career potential of an MBA aside, are there any MBA programs that do not require letters of recommendations worth attending?

Thank you everyone for your inputs.

J.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 630 [0], given: 114

Re: MBA without recommendations [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 10:14
I would say that there probably isn't a top 50 school that doesn't require atleast one recommendation letter... most require multiple letters. If you can't look to people you work with for recommendation letters, I would branch out to other sources. Take a look at my post here: how-to-pick-a-recommender-129379.html

Good luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Intern
Intern
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.74

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: MBA without recommendations [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 10:19
Wash U's business school, Olin, does not require any recommendations. It ranks around the top 25 in the U.S. As for whether it is worth it, that is entirely up to you and what you are looking to achieve by receiving an MBA.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 13

Re: MBA without recommendations [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 10:57
When it comes to recommendations, do top MBA schools expect you to have different sources? Basically, if I have two letters from two different people in my company, does that not hold as much weight?
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 100

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: MBA without recommendations [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 12:29
Swoosh617 wrote:
When it comes to recommendations, do top MBA schools expect you to have different sources? Basically, if I have two letters from two different people in my company, does that not hold as much weight?

Getting recs from two different people within the same company is fine. In fact that's what many people do. For most of my recs I used my current supervisor and a past senior manager. Worked out just fine for me. Both people should be able to offer different perspectives on your work in order to get the most mileage out of your recs.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 26

Re: MBA without recommendations [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 20:37
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Both people should be able to offer different perspectives on your work in order to get the most mileage out of your recs.

I plan to get my recs from my current boss and past senior manager from the same company. Though the two work profiles I have worked in are vastly different, I am not too sure about getting two "different" perspectives, considering that I still have to give them the general outline of the recs on my own. How to go about that - any ideas ?

The chase begins ...

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA without recommendations [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 07:59
jdnyc wrote:
Hello everyone,

As you noted from the subject line, I am thinking about applying to an MBA program; however, I most likely will not have the recommendations from my supervisors. Let me explain... I am a J.D. and LL.M. My current employer is my only employer; I work in a small specialized sub-group and have worked with the same 4 people since graduation. So you see my dilemma... they will be suprised that I am even considering going back to school. Also, in case I don't get in, I don't want them thinking / knowing that I won't be staying much longer. My motivation and career potential of an MBA aside, are there any MBA programs that do not require letters of recommendations worth attending?

Thank you everyone for your inputs.

J.

I should also have noted that I am not limited to U.S. business schools. I am very much open to internal options as well.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q52 V40

Re: MBA without recommendations [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 05:18
I think getting recommendation from same sources is worthy but not recommended. The admission committee wants to have a look at your application from various facets, so it is always advisable to get recommendations from people who can give different perspectives on your personality.Within the company, ensure that the reccomenders throw light on different aspects of your personality.
Re: MBA without recommendations   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2012, 05:18