Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA without work experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA without work experience [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 21:01
I am a Btech (Electronics & communication) 3rd year student from india. I would like to do an MBA anywhere abroad but without any work experience as i feel once i start working i cant get back to studies. The only reason for me to do an MBA is to setup a business in India.(being frank as i have joined btech i hardly have any knowledge about money management ). The reason for going abroad for MBA is to get a masters degree, attain global exposure and also earn a little while studying.
the major queries : without work experience ....
1. will i get into any good MBA college if not in the top MBA colleges.
2.how much will the MBA cost approximately
3. working in all kinds of odd jobs will i be able to atleast repay the loan taken for MBA.
4. will MBA be helpful in setting up a business ??
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MBA without work experience [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 21:18
rohanthedubey wrote:
I am a Btech (Electronics & communication) 3rd year student from india. I would like to do an MBA anywhere abroad but without any work experience as i feel once i start working i cant get back to studies. The only reason for me to do an MBA is to setup a business in India.(being frank as i have joined btech i hardly have any knowledge about money management ). The reason for going abroad for MBA is to get a masters degree, attain global exposure and also earn a little while studying.
the major queries : without work experience ....
1. will i get into any good MBA college if not in the top MBA colleges.
2.how much will the MBA cost approximately
3. working in all kinds of odd jobs will i be able to atleast repay the loan taken for MBA.
4. will MBA be helpful in setting up a business ??

1) Theoretically speaking.. Yes... But practically speaking... No, not at all...
2) To my knowledge, for the entire MBA program (i.e what you will spend over two years because of your MBA), USD 150,000+ plus opportunity costs.
3) If you get into a great school, you need not work all kinds of odd jobs to repay the loan and neither will you have the time.. With salaries averaging USD 100,000 you'll be able to pay it back in a matter of two years.
4) IMHO, an MBA is definitely a step towards setting up a business although it is not the only one.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: MBA without work experience [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 20:00
I would strongly suggest getting at least 2 years of solid working experience. Without experience, the post-MBA jobs you would qualify for would only be entry level jobs and you might even be competing with undergrads.

Since you want to start your own business, I would suggest either starting something right after your undergrad or getting some corporate experience in the industry you are interested in. An MBA will definitely be of use but like the poster above, I would say it's not the only way to start your own business.
Re: MBA without work experience   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2013, 20:00