Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA: Work Experience

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 150
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

MBA: Work Experience [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 13:00
Hi:

Would really appreciate if Accepted.com can share its inputs on my queries.

I had given my GMAT this January and secured 730. However, due to family, personal and financial priorities I do not think I would be able to apply in schools before 2014 fall. By then I will have over 8 years of experience. My years of experience certainly fall beyond work-ex brackets for almost all full time MBA programs that I've been targetting. Will this seriously hamper my prospects of getting an admit in schools? How's 8-9+ work-ex viewed by schools? I understand I can still articulate my needs pretty well in my essays to stand a chance but how do ground realities stack up? Should I be considering an EMBA instead? Does an EMBA really make a difference to your profile?

Please advise.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4869
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: MBA: Work Experience [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 20:42
Expert's post
prakhag wrote:
Hi:

Would really appreciate if Accepted.com can share its inputs on my queries.

I had given my GMAT this January and secured 730. However, due to family, personal and financial priorities I do not think I would be able to apply in schools before 2014 fall. By then I will have over 8 years of experience. My years of experience certainly fall beyond work-ex brackets for almost all full time MBA programs that I've been targetting. Will this seriously hamper my prospects of getting an admit in schools? How's 8-9+ work-ex viewed by schools? I understand I can still articulate my needs pretty well in my essays to stand a chance but how do ground realities stack up? Should I be considering an EMBA instead? Does an EMBA really make a difference to your profile?

Please advise.


Prahag,

At many if not most MBA programs, 8-9 years of work experience starts to be a negative, particularly with average age at acceptance under 28. School programs and career placement are aimed at applicants with (usually) 4-6 years of experience and 8 years is the high end. It sounds like you will be just over that so I can't say your chances of acceptance are doomed to start with. Again, choose programs that are more welcoming to slightly older applicants and then make a strong case for why you need an MBA now, not just why you couldn't get it last year.

You might be interested in "Older MBA Applicants."

Regarding Executive MBAs, they are good options for more experienced MBA wannabes, however they tend not to be as effective as vehicles for career change. . You may also want to consider the Sloan Fellows Programs at MIT, Stanford, and London Business School, but for those programs you may actually be better off if you wait an additional year. Also again, career placement is not as robust at all of them.

Best,
Linda
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 150
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: MBA: Work Experience [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 20:54
Accepted.com wrote:
prakhag wrote:
Hi:

Would really appreciate if Accepted.com can share its inputs on my queries.

I had given my GMAT this January and secured 730. However, due to family, personal and financial priorities I do not think I would be able to apply in schools before 2014 fall. By then I will have over 8 years of experience. My years of experience certainly fall beyond work-ex brackets for almost all full time MBA programs that I've been targetting. Will this seriously hamper my prospects of getting an admit in schools? How's 8-9+ work-ex viewed by schools? I understand I can still articulate my needs pretty well in my essays to stand a chance but how do ground realities stack up? Should I be considering an EMBA instead? Does an EMBA really make a difference to your profile?

Please advise.


Prahag,

At many if not most MBA programs, 8-9 years of work experience starts to be a negative, particularly with average age at acceptance under 28. School programs and career placement are aimed at applicants with (usually) 4-6 years of experience and 8 years is the high end. It sounds like you will be just over that so I can't say your chances of acceptance are doomed to start with. Again, choose programs that are more welcoming to slightly older applicants and then make a strong case for why you need an MBA now, not just why you couldn't get it last year.

You might be interested in "Older MBA Applicants."

Regarding Executive MBAs, they are good options for more experienced MBA wannabes, however they tend not to be as effective as vehicles for career change. . You may also want to consider the Sloan Fellows Programs at MIT, Stanford, and London Business School, but for those programs you may actually be better off if you wait an additional year. Also again, career placement is not as robust at all of them.

Best,
Linda


Thanks Linda.

As you've correctly pointed out, most European and US schools are a lot more inclined towards entertaining MBA candidates between 4 to 6 years of experience bracket, however barring a couple of schools in US I'm more focused on Asian schools (INSEAD, NUS, NTU, ISB, IIM etc). Would you say Asian schools are a little more relaxed when it comes to age and work ex criterion? At-least going by their websites and a few campus visits, average age of students hover around 28 and average work experience of 5 years.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4869
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: MBA: Work Experience [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 21:04
Expert's post
prakhag wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
prakhag wrote:
Hi:

Would really appreciate if Accepted.com can share its inputs on my queries.

I had given my GMAT this January and secured 730. However, due to family, personal and financial priorities I do not think I would be able to apply in schools before 2014 fall. By then I will have over 8 years of experience. My years of experience certainly fall beyond work-ex brackets for almost all full time MBA programs that I've been targetting. Will this seriously hamper my prospects of getting an admit in schools? How's 8-9+ work-ex viewed by schools? I understand I can still articulate my needs pretty well in my essays to stand a chance but how do ground realities stack up? Should I be considering an EMBA instead? Does an EMBA really make a difference to your profile?

Please advise.


Prahag,

At many if not most MBA programs, 8-9 years of work experience starts to be a negative, particularly with average age at acceptance under 28. School programs and career placement are aimed at applicants with (usually) 4-6 years of experience and 8 years is the high end. It sounds like you will be just over that so I can't say your chances of acceptance are doomed to start with. Again, choose programs that are more welcoming to slightly older applicants and then make a strong case for why you need an MBA now, not just why you couldn't get it last year.

You might be interested in "Older MBA Applicants."

Regarding Executive MBAs, they are good options for more experienced MBA wannabes, however they tend not to be as effective as vehicles for career change. . You may also want to consider the Sloan Fellows Programs at MIT, Stanford, and London Business School, but for those programs you may actually be better off if you wait an additional year. Also again, career placement is not as robust at all of them.

Best,
Linda


Thanks Linda.

As you've correctly pointed out, most European and US schools are a lot more inclined towards entertaining MBA candidates between 4 to 6 years of experience bracket, however barring a couple of schools in US I'm more focused on Asian schools (INSEAD, NUS, NTU, ISB, IIM etc). Would you say Asian schools are a little more relaxed when it comes to age and work ex criterion? At-least going by their websites and a few campus visits, average age of students hover around 28 and average work experience of 5 years.


Prahag,

Yes, I do think the Asian programs are a little friendlier to older MBA applicants.

Best,
Linda
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic MBA: Work Experience prakhag 2 19 Jul 2012, 13:04
Experts publish their posts in the topic MBA: Work Experience prakhag 5 19 Jul 2012, 13:03
MBA: Work Experience prakhag 0 19 Jul 2012, 13:02
1 Work Experience for an MBA bgphelps 3 21 Dec 2010, 11:41
Experts publish their posts in the topic MBA for no work experience? JingChan 3 12 Nov 2007, 18:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MBA: Work Experience

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.