Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBB & Top Tier Strat Consulting Firms after 1 Yr WE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '13
GMAT Date: 08-10-2013
GPA: 3.53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

MBB & Top Tier Strat Consulting Firms after 1 Yr WE [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 07:32
Hi Everyone,

I am finishing a year of work experience as a civilian engineer (not a soldier!) with the US Air Force as part of a scholarship for service program with the DoD. My service commitment ends next year, and I want to move into start consulting at a top firm before joining an MBA program. I finished my BS/MS in Aerospace Engineering before joining the USAF, and had a UGPA: 3.53 and GGPA: 3.90.

Basically I am worried that I won't get an interview because
a) I have been out of school for a year
b) UGPA is not the best
c) My work experience has been contract management for engineering services/ reliability analyst/ technical engineering analysis

My plan is to take the GMAT in August and put that in my resume to display my aptitude. I want to get opinions from this forum on whether I stand a chance or not of getting an interview in the fall, and any suggestions to improve my story. I plan on starting to contact recruiters at the end of this month.

Thanks for your help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: MBB & Top Tier Strat Consulting Firms after 1 Yr WE [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 19:15
Any advice?

Thanks!
Current Student
Schools: Tuck - Class of 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 1

Re: MBB & Top Tier Strat Consulting Firms after 1 Yr WE [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 19:57
It's not impossible, but you will need to find someone you can network with to get you an interview. I'd suggest using linkedin to try and find some people from your UG at companies you want to target and go from there.
Intern
Intern

Re: MBB & Top Tier Strat Consulting Firms after 1 Yr WE [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 11:16
Ginetta wrote:
It's not impossible, but you will need to find someone you can network with to get you an interview. I'd suggest using linkedin to try and find some people from your UG at companies you want to target and go from there.

You make it sounds like it is not probable...so is it worth it to try and push hard for recruiting season or just focus on getting a job with an engineering firm?
Current Student

Re: MBB & Top Tier Strat Consulting Firms after 1 Yr WE [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 11:36
penguinman wrote:
Ginetta wrote:

You make it sounds like it is not probable...so is it worth it to try and push hard for recruiting season or just focus on getting a job with an engineering firm?

I can't really answer that question as it completely depends on how bad you want it and how hard you are willing to work to get an interview. Putting the gmat score on your resume and applying blindly through the firms websites or whatever most likely is not going to be enough to get an interview off-cycle.
Intern
Intern

Re: MBB & Top Tier Strat Consulting Firms after 1 Yr WE [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 11:40
Ginetta wrote:
penguinman wrote:
Ginetta wrote:

I can't really answer that question as it completely depends on how bad you want it and how hard you are willing to work to get an interview. Putting the gmat score on your resume and applying blindly through the firms websites or whatever most likely is not going to be enough to get an interview off-cycle.

I understand, but I just wanted to see if my GPA and 1 Year WE would automatically cut me from the pile even with hard networking.
Current Student

Re: MBB & Top Tier Strat Consulting Firms after 1 Yr WE [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 11:44
No, not at all. There are definitely 'experienced' hires at the junior level, and its not like your GPA is a 2.xx. Just make sure you get your resume together and your story tight, particularly around why you want to do consulting and why you didn't just do it in the first place. Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: MBB & Top Tier Strat Consulting Firms after 1 Yr WE [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 11:47
Ok, that's good information. Thanks!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: MBB & Top Tier Strat Consulting Firms after 1 Yr WE [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 18:09
Your GPA and WE definitely won't "cut you from the pile." The highest minimum GPA requirement I've seen from consulting firms is 3.5, so you're good!
Re: MBB & Top Tier Strat Consulting Firms after 1 Yr WE   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2013, 18:09