Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 4
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Anyone R1 waitlisted cadidate heard anything from Mccombs?? Anyone else here whose waitlised .... one cant even contact the adcom .... any idea hw they work with the waitlised candidates
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I wanted to call out to any current McCombs MBA students on this forum if any. I have applied and interviewed with McCombs and currently awaiting a decision. Meanwhile I want to continue learning more about this program. After thoroughly reading all the content on the school's website and talking to adcom/current students/alumni I cant believe this program is ranked 17th. I'm not saying this because I have applied to this school and may have some sort of a bias. But after comparing with other programs that are between 10-15 I fail to understand why this program is ranked lower. Absolute rankings are not entirely an indicator of the program's quality but relative rankings are certainly worth considering. I believe McCombs should at least be a top 15 school and hence would like to understand from current students what is it that keeps McCombs outside this group. So far I have only heard great things about McCombs but I would also like to know some of the not so great aspects of the school so that I'm completely informed. This will most likely not change my mind about the strength of the program but will only make me a well informed applicant. So I encourage some candid responses. Thank you for any insights in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Aimhigh2012 wrote:
chains1910 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, would one receive a rejection notice before the final notification deadline, or is it standard to not hear until the deadline in the case of a ding?

I cant comment with full certainty but as far the experience with first round goes, they are going to intimate you of a ding on the decision date only. But if you are selected you will in all probability be contacted a few before the decision date.

Thanks for the help! I imagine I am getting dinged then. In retrospect I should have waited for R3 to apply probably, as I had a much higher GMAT later in December. I submitted it to the school but they were unclear on if would be accepted. Oh well, I will just have to focus my energies elsewhere most likely.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
adee009 wrote:
Anyone R1 waitlisted cadidate heard anything from Mccombs?? Anyone else here whose waitlised .... one cant even contact the adcom .... any idea hw they work with the waitlised candidates

I was wait listed and I actually received an email today (1/17) from the McCombs ad comms. They want me to "submit a video interview to help them learn more about my candidacy and interest in their program."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Sustainability, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
MBAOG2015 wrote:
adee009 wrote:

I was wait listed and I actually received an email today (1/17) from the McCombs ad comms. They want me to "submit a video interview to help them learn more about my candidacy and interest in their program."

Any clue of kind of questions they are asking in this interview. I also got the notification but not sure of what is the line of thought behind this video interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
mbaUS2015 wrote:
MBAOG2015 wrote:
adee009 wrote:

Any clue of kind of questions they are asking in this interview. I also got the notification but not sure of what is the line of thought behind this video interview.

same here, I too got a mail to submit a video interview.. anyone familiar with the process please let us know what kind of questions are asked..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
UTMPA2011 wrote:
I agree w/ the theory about McCombs trying to protect their acceptance yield rate to a certain degree, but there's a chance that many students w/ high GMATs are letting their "safety school" bias bleed into the application (not saying that this happened to either of you). rjdunn got an R2 interview invite w/ a 780 GMAT, and 3 R1 gmatclub admitted applicants had a 740+ GMAT, so you could easily have one coming your way this week. I'm not saying any of these apply to you, but just some factors that might come into play:

- Are your essays cookie cutter in the sense that you could virtually copy and paste everything into your next school's application by replacing the school name?
- I've heard AdCom members say it's surprisingly common to see applicants who actually leave another school's name somewhere in the application.
- A question on the app. reads, "Other Graduate Applications." If it says something similar to, "Stanford, Wharton, HBS," did you properly justify in your application what unique characteristics make McCombs stand up to the others?
- Do you know how you were rated by your bosses in the letters of recommendation section? If their ratings are low enough, AdCom members have said that's instant death.

I'm sure everything will work out, but just some food for thought...

As far as my essays, I provided specific examples of the benefits of the UT MBA program that would require major revision to be used in other applications. I did not provide a list of other schools because that only benefits the school at my expense. The recommendations were very strong and from directors. UT was my first application and I took precaution to ensure that I used McCombs and UT only.

I think that the major weakness of my application is my work experience. I will only have 41 months of experience by the time of matriculation. No supervisory experience.

Honestly, I was hoping to leverage my prior McCombs master's degree to get into the MBA program. In fact, I have already taken MBA courses at UT and earned As. I don't know how I could possibly support my academic aptitude more than that. However, the lack of management experience ("leadership") will probably kill my chances.

That seems strange that you didn't at least get an interview. You're obviously qualified for Texas, along with pretty much any other school, so I'd guess (kinda what USAFinDenver was saying) that you probably didn't sell it well enough that you want to be there. In my case, my very high gmat is tempered by a mediocre/low GPA which I think puts me more in line with typical applicants. More importantly, I really want to go to Texas and I think that came through in my essays. You mention that you talked about specific qualities of UT - which is good - but that may have ended up sounding cookie cutter in the sense that many applicants are probably writing similar things. Like you, I talked about the benefits of UT but I also took it to the next level and talked specifically about why the program/atmosphere/location of McCombs is a good fit personally. BTW, I'll have a little less than 3 years FT work experience next fall, though I have a 2 year service mission to Guatemala and a year and half internship with a solid company on top so I'm hoping that makes up for it. Also on the leadership, you don't have to have direct reports at work to be a leader. You should talk about initiative and leadership on team projects, or leadership in community involvement and extracurricular activities.

Anyway, those are just things to think about as you continue your apps. Take it with a grain of salt from someone who got an interview but (God forbid) I could still easily get dinged. You've got awesome grades and a high GMAT so you really shouldn't have a problem getting in somewhere.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 4
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
UTMPA2011 wrote:
I agree w/ the theory about McCombs trying to protect their acceptance yield rate to a certain degree, but there's a chance that many students w/ high GMATs are letting their "safety school" bias bleed into the application (not saying that this happened to either of you). rjdunn got an R2 interview invite w/ a 780 GMAT, and 3 R1 gmatclub admitted applicants had a 740+ GMAT, so you could easily have one coming your way this week. I'm not saying any of these apply to you, but just some factors that might come into play:

- Are your essays cookie cutter in the sense that you could virtually copy and paste everything into your next school's application by replacing the school name?
- I've heard AdCom members say it's surprisingly common to see applicants who actually leave another school's name somewhere in the application.
- A question on the app. reads, "Other Graduate Applications." If it says something similar to, "Stanford, Wharton, HBS," did you properly justify in your application what unique characteristics make McCombs stand up to the others?
- Do you know how you were rated by your bosses in the letters of recommendation section? If their ratings are low enough, AdCom members have said that's instant death.

I'm sure everything will work out, but just some food for thought...

As far as my essays, I provided specific examples of the benefits of the UT MBA program that would require major revision to be used in other applications. I did not provide a list of other schools because that only benefits the school at my expense. The recommendations were very strong and from directors. UT was my first application and I took precaution to ensure that I used McCombs and UT only.

I think that the major weakness of my application is my work experience. I will only have 41 months of experience by the time of matriculation. No supervisory experience.

Honestly, I was hoping to leverage my prior McCombs master's degree to get into the MBA program. In fact, I have already taken MBA courses at UT and earned As. I don't know how I could possibly support my academic aptitude more than that. However, the lack of management experience ("leadership") will probably kill my chances.

That seems strange that you didn't at least get an interview. You're obviously qualified for Texas, along with pretty much any other school, so I'd guess (kinda what USAFinDenver was saying) that you probably didn't sell it well enough that you want to be there. In my case, my very high gmat is tempered by a mediocre/low GPA which I think puts me more in line with typical applicants. More importantly, I really want to go to Texas and I think that came through in my essays. You mention that you talked about specific qualities of UT - which is good - but that may have ended up sounding cookie cutter in the sense that many applicants are probably writing similar things. Like you, I talked about the benefits of UT but I also took it to the next level and talked specifically about why the program/atmosphere/location of McCombs is a good fit personally. BTW, I'll have a little less than 3 years FT work experience next fall, though I have a 2 year service mission to Guatemala and a year and half internship with a solid company on top so I'm hoping that makes up for it. Also on the leadership, you don't have to have direct reports at work to be a leader. You should talk about initiative and leadership on team projects, or leadership in community involvement and extracurricular activities.

Anyway, those are just things to think about as you continue your apps. Take it with a grain of salt from someone who got an interview but (God forbid) I could still easily get dinged. You've got awesome grades and a high GMAT so you really shouldn't have a problem getting in somewhere.

I think it is a combination of application elements: generic language, at times, in my essays, lack of well-known employers on my resume, and the commonality of my background at UT. It is interesting to note that I have been invited to interview at every MBA program that I have applied to, except for UT. While I didn’t exactly apply to H/W/S, nor do I think that I have a shot anyway, I applied to a couple of schools that are comparable to UT with respect to rankings.

I did want to point out an interesting fact from the BusinessWeek MBA profiles: last year, UT waitlisted 290 applicants out of 1900 applicants (15% of applicants). 21% of waitlisted applicants were accepted last year, which is roughly 60 students, so there is still hope if waitlisted. At any rate, I will just ride the rollercoaster that is the MBA application process.

Congratulations on the interview. Good luck to you in February. Hook 'em!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Can someone comment on the application system? I uploaded a non-finalized version of my essay and just found out and replaced it with the finalized version. However, when I click "Print Preview" and PDF file still reveals the non-finalized version of my essay. Did anyone experience the similar issue? Please advise... Thanks!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Guys,

One of my 200 word essay is going up to 210 words. Is it acceptable? I am struggling to cut anything without losing the essence of the story.

Will 10 words lead to outright rejection?

Please reply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
vatsas wrote:
Guys,

One of my 200 word essay is going up to 210 words. Is it acceptable? I am struggling to cut anything without losing the essence of the story.

Please reply.

No.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
vatsas wrote:
Guys,

Please reply.

+- 10% is acceptable. So try not to pass 220 words and you should be fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I would stick to 200 words to show that you can follow directions and are a good enough writer that you can work with limited space. Rephrase, get rid of prepositions, etc. Cutting out 10 words should be do-able. (I realize I'm taking a hard line on this, but I would stick to within the limits).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Aimhigh2012 wrote:
chains1910 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, would one receive a rejection notice before the final notification deadline, or is it standard to not hear until the deadline in the case of a ding?

I cant comment with full certainty but as far the experience with first round goes, they are going to intimate you of a ding on the decision date only. But if you are selected you will in all probability be contacted a few before the decision date.

You will not receive a "no acceptance" notification prior to the decision deadline.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shmirill wrote:
vatsas wrote:
Guys,

Please reply.

+- 10% is acceptable. So try not to pass 220 words and you should be fine.

Admissions Committee members are not going to count your number of words, but they are familiar with what 200 words looks like. If you really start to surpass that number it will not look positively on your application.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I was wait listed and I actually received an email today (1/17) from the McCombs ad comms. They want me to "submit a video interview to help them learn more about my candidacy and interest in their program."[/quote]

Any clue of kind of questions they are asking in this interview. I also got the notification but not sure of what is the line of thought behind this video interview.[/quote]

same here, I too got a mail to submit a video interview.. anyone familiar with the process please let us know what kind of questions are asked..[/quote]

This is a new question for the Admissions Committee to the waitlisted candidates. What makes McCombs unique is the personality of the students in our program - we strive to create well-balanced individuals that will succeed in business and we want to know through your video interview, if you fit that criteria. Also, we want to admit candidates that know and love McCombs. The University of Texas is a passionate, educational institution and we want to be sure that you share passion.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
viper1983 wrote:
I wanted to call out to any current McCombs MBA students on this forum if any. I have applied and interviewed with McCombs and currently awaiting a decision. Meanwhile I want to continue learning more about this program. After thoroughly reading all the content on the school's website and talking to adcom/current students/alumni I cant believe this program is ranked 17th. I'm not saying this because I have applied to this school and may have some sort of a bias. But after comparing with other programs that are between 10-15 I fail to understand why this program is ranked lower. Absolute rankings are not entirely an indicator of the program's quality but relative rankings are certainly worth considering. I believe McCombs should at least be a top 15 school and hence would like to understand from current students what is it that keeps McCombs outside this group. So far I have only heard great things about McCombs but I would also like to know some of the not so great aspects of the school so that I'm completely informed. This will most likely not change my mind about the strength of the program but will only make me a well informed applicant. So I encourage some candid responses. Thank you for any insights in advance.

Great question! However, not sure I have the answer. Similar to probably most of the things you have heard, I only have positive things to report as a McCombs MBA student. Of the things that could potentially be fall-backs to our ranking, I would potentially consider 1) our facilities and 2) our location. The McCombs building is not what I would call "state-of-the-art" however, the school already has plans in motion to build a new graduate school of business building on campus. This building is set to break ground next year with plans to be open in the Fall of 2017. After this building is complete, I would image McCombs will definitely surge in the rankings. Secondly, while Austin, Texas is a huge draw for students, and is an incredible place to get an education, there are not a lot of Fortune 500 companies nearby. Contrary to other Top 20 programs, recruiters have to trek out to Austin to get to us MBAs and sometimes they do not make that trek. Nonetheless, Austin is a growing hi-tech hub and in near years I think will soon attract many more big name firms.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts