Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 16:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs '14 (A)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 20:36
UTdualdegree wrote:
alphawhiskey wrote:
R3 applicant here. Wish I found out about this forum beforehand. Now the waiting angst begins...

Doing a dual degree - so took GRE instead of GMAT. Does that matter...guys/gals?

I'm already in a masters program at UT, and applied to McCombs in R2 for the dual-degree. I used my GRE scores, so I guess I will see soon enough.

Admissions gives no preference to GRE or GMAT - whichever you feel you can perform your best at!

McCombs Admissions Committee (MAC)

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 08:23
Regarding interview, can someone please advise if it is preferable to do on-campus versus off-campus? My husband go this R3 interview invite, but since we are based in Toronto, it's quite a long flight and big investment.
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs '14 (A)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 10:05
lindalibinbin wrote:
Regarding interview, can someone please advise if it is preferable to do on-campus versus off-campus? My husband go this R3 interview invite, but since we are based in Toronto, it's quite a long flight and big investment.

There is definitely no preference in doing an on or off campus interview. If you have not visited campus yet, the interview is a great excuse to get to campus. However if it is not financially feasible, that is definitely understood, which is why Admissions offers the opportunity to do the interview with an alumni in your area.

McCombs Admissions Committee (MAC)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 2.62
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
vatsas wrote:
Round 3 applicant. Just got invited to interview. That was a quick turn around. Plan on taking it in second week of Feb.

Any tips!!!

[...]

Quick question - How much information will the interviewer have about me? Blind or we read?

I did my McCombs interview on-campus a few weeks ago with a member of the AdCom. I had the option of doing it with a student, but I opted not to. Personal preference, not really any other reason behind it (it was my first interview, so I wanted to do it with an AdCom).

I looked online through several blogs and found a number of the same questions for the McCombs interview, which all seemed to pop up during my conversation. Things like, "tell me about yourself"/"walk me through your resume", etc. (the major ones), but I did get surprised by a couple of questions.

Namely, "what is the first impression someone has when they meet you?", "if you could change something at the company you work for, what would it be?" and "why did you choose your undergraduate institution?" I got tripped up on the first and last of these questions, as I was not expecting them, so my advice would be to be ready to answer questions that you may not have prepared for.

As for blind or read, I can't say, as it was not brought up.

Hope this helps! Just be yourself and you'll do just fine.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 4

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 11:08
Got an invite to interview.. somehow I managed to squeeze in the application by R3 deadline..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 11:33
krasher134 wrote:

I did my McCombs interview on-campus a few weeks ago with a member of the AdCom. I had the option of doing it with a student, but I opted not to. Personal preference, not really any other reason behind it (it was my first interview, so I wanted to do it with an AdCom).

I looked online through several blogs and found a number of the same questions for the McCombs interview, which all seemed to pop up during my conversation. Things like, "tell me about yourself"/"walk me through your resume", etc. (the major ones), but I did get surprised by a couple of questions.

Namely, "what is the first impression someone has when they meet you?", "if you could change something at the company you work for, what would it be?" and "why did you choose your undergraduate institution?" I got tripped up on the first and last of these questions, as I was not expecting them, so my advice would be to be ready to answer questions that you may not have prepared for.

Hey Krasher,

Thanks for the detailed information. I really appreciate it. This will be my first interview as well. I still don't understand the benefit of interviewing with Adcom member over doing it with Second Year.

I concur with you; first and last question would have stumped me as well.

Thank You and Good Luck!

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 01:42
vatsas wrote:
krasher134 wrote:

Hey Krasher,

Thanks for the detailed information. I really appreciate it. This will be my first interview as well. I still don't understand the benefit of interviewing with Adcom member over doing it with Second Year.

Thank You and Good Luck!

Sumeet,

If you happen to impress the Adcom member while he/she interview you, then you have an edge as that person will be there in all the discussion related to your application. He will be your advocate. A second year guy will not be there when the decision is being made. Good luck.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [2] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
LN03FZL wrote:
vatsas wrote:
krasher134 wrote:

Hey Krasher,

Thank You and Good Luck!

Sumeet,

If you happen to impress the Adcom member while he/she interview you, then you have an edge as that person will be there in all the discussion related to your application. He will be your advocate. A second year guy will not be there when the decision is being made. Good luck.

Well this is not right and I would love to be proved wrong but only if this is based not on your personal experience alone.

Sumeet,

Adcoms generally give the following options :

1)Interview with the adcoms
2)Interview with alum/2nd year students (they are part of admission comm)
3)Skype
4)Telephone
5)Campus visit

all of these options are given giving due consideration to the applicants location , mobility and his/her preference. In the end the adcom wants to know you as a person and wants to make you as comfortable as possible. A 2nd year student would be almost at par with the adcom member himself because that 2nd year student has been nominated and elected by the adcom itself. So my advice is don't worry about the fact that who has higher say over whom in the admission decision making process. Focus on what you want to tell and what impression you want to leave. Hope this helps.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 06:40
adee009 wrote:
akun08 wrote:
MBAOG2015 wrote:

I was wait listed and I actually received an email today (1/17) from the McCombs ad comms. They want me to "submit a video interview to help them learn more about my candidacy and interest in their program."

same here, I too got a mail to submit a video interview.. anyone familiar with the process please let us know what kind of questions are asked..

I got the email too .. anyone of you submitted it. I am going to take it tonight or tomorrow. Please share the questiones of the process..its a first!

One more question about the video submission.. Did every waitlisted candidate get a mail asking to submit the video? or was this required only for a selected few waistlisted?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 07:12
Can a current student (or a very knowledgeable applicant) tell me what McCombs mean when they mention "official transcripts" to submit with my deposit. Should it come directly from my college or can it be a scanned document? Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 4

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
RR666 wrote:
Can a current student (or a very knowledgeable applicant) tell me what McCombs mean when they mention "official transcripts" to submit with my deposit. Should it come directly from my college or can it be a scanned document? Thanks.

It should be sealed and signed transcript. In the case of McCombs, it can be mailed either directly from your undergraduate school or mailed by you. Scanned and uploaded copies are not considered official.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 08:28
txguy wrote:
RR666 wrote:

It should be sealed and signed transcript. In the case of McCombs, it can be mailed either directly from your undergraduate school or mailed by you. Scanned and uploaded copies are not considered official.

Thank you.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 09:36
aalriy wrote:
Got an invite to interview.. somehow I managed to squeeze in the application by R3 deadline..

When did you submit your application? I submitted mine on 23rd right before midnight, but haven't heard anything yet. Wondering if they send invites the same day, or on a rolling basis.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 11:49
hailmary620 wrote:
aalriy wrote:

When did you submit your application? I submitted mine on 23rd right before midnight, but haven't heard anything yet. Wondering if they send invites the same day, or on a rolling basis.

Rolling basis up until a week or two before the decision deadline.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 4
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 20:33
USAFinDenver wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
aalriy wrote:

Rolling basis up until a week or two before the decision deadline.

Ugh. Don't remind me. I think it is ironic that McCombs is waiting until the day after Valentine's Day to break people's hearts. Caveat: Not everyone will be disappointed.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 05:39
I saw that some people already got invites for rd3? What is it based on? Luck of the draw or quality of your candidacy?

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 06:07
I'm anxiously awaiting hearing about the R2 decisions. I saw that for Round 1, some people were notified that they were admitted about 8 days before the notification deadline. If it works the same this time, that could mean some of us might hear something next Thursday.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 12:33
Just got invited to interview at the UT-Austin! My younger brother's undergrad alma matter! Hook 'em Horns!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability
GPA: 2.9
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 15:00
adee009 wrote:
I got the email too .. anyone of you submitted it. I am going to take it tonight or tomorrow. Please share the questiones of the process..its a first!
The video interview was 3 questions, with a 90 seconds time limit for each response...for a total 4 minutes and 30 seconds MAX. I was expecting about a half hour!

First question: why would you be a good fit with McCombs?
Second question: what would you change about the McCombs curriculum?
Third question: what clubs would you like to join?

It was really odd for me to not have the instant feedback from seeing an interviewer's reactions and no ability to interact. Also, your computer displays how you look in your video, so it's like dictating an essay into a mirror. I felt quite awkward, while I'm quite comfortable in face-to-face interviews.

I thought that the video interview would be my chance to jump onto the accepted list, but it was a strange experience that didn't leave me feeling confident.

Good luck to you other waitlistees.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 4

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 11:22
hailmary620 wrote:
aalriy wrote:

I submitted my application on the 23rd too..
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2013, 11:22