Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
For people interested in I-Banking/Consulting after McCombs, below is a pretty interesting article on Super Week, which is hosted by the career mgmt. center.

http://blogs.mccombs.utexas.edu/mba-ins ... week-2013/

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 2.62
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
vatsas wrote:
Round 3 applicant. Just got invited to interview. That was a quick turn around. Plan on taking it in second week of Feb.

Any tips!!!

[...]

Quick question - How much information will the interviewer have about me? Blind or we read?

I did my McCombs interview on-campus a few weeks ago with a member of the AdCom. I had the option of doing it with a student, but I opted not to. Personal preference, not really any other reason behind it (it was my first interview, so I wanted to do it with an AdCom).

I looked online through several blogs and found a number of the same questions for the McCombs interview, which all seemed to pop up during my conversation. Things like, "tell me about yourself"/"walk me through your resume", etc. (the major ones), but I did get surprised by a couple of questions.

Namely, "what is the first impression someone has when they meet you?", "if you could change something at the company you work for, what would it be?" and "why did you choose your undergraduate institution?" I got tripped up on the first and last of these questions, as I was not expecting them, so my advice would be to be ready to answer questions that you may not have prepared for.

As for blind or read, I can't say, as it was not brought up.

Hope this helps! Just be yourself and you'll do just fine.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 4

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
RR666 wrote:
Can a current student (or a very knowledgeable applicant) tell me what McCombs mean when they mention "official transcripts" to submit with my deposit. Should it come directly from my college or can it be a scanned document? Thanks.

It should be sealed and signed transcript. In the case of McCombs, it can be mailed either directly from your undergraduate school or mailed by you. Scanned and uploaded copies are not considered official.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Oracle Certified Professional
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 22:13
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the Congratulatory email. YES!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 2.62
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
Got a phone call at 1:29pm CT offering admission. First admit for me, so all my stress about getting into business school at all has now vanished.

Excitinggggg!!!

Last edited by krasher134 on 13 Feb 2013, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs '14 (A)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
HoustonChick wrote:
I have a question:

I applied to Emory, McCombs, USC and UCLA.

I got admission to Emory and I got waitlisted at McCombs. I'm really happy about my admission to Emory but McCombs is my top choice due to location and interests. I want to inform them about my admission to Emory to see if that'll help them move forward with making a decision on my position on the waitlist but I'm not sure about the best plan of action. Will it make a difference? Who should I contact?

To be honest, it does not make a difference and may hurt you in the end if you talk about other schools you were admitted to. If you really want to go to McCombs, I'd wait for them to review your application again on the waitlist and at that time make sure they understand how committed you are to attending McCombs and that you will accept an offer if they grant you admission. We only want students who reallyyy want to go to McCombs for the right reasons, so better to stay focused on that!

McCombs Admissions Committee (MAC)

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 22:21
This post received
KUDOS
Gorgasali wrote:
My online status just changed (at right around midnight EST).

Maybe a R1 applicant (or current student) can answer this: The only thing I really see that I can do here is accept or decline the offer. Is that what you had? Is it not possible to see the admitted students site until accepting? Does accepting the offer obligate the deposit?

Most of the new info comes in the official email. That includes links to the Facebook group and admitted student site. I'll send you the link in a PM if you want to give it a try. Accepting the offer can't obligate you to the deposit. However, your spot won't be reserved until the payment is made. Also, if you're pretty sure on your McCombs decision, don't forget to join the admitted LinkedIn group:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/McCombs- ... BA-4752362

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
viper1983 wrote:
I guess I'm reassuring myself and hoping to get some validation from all Round 1 admitted students -

All those who are admitted receive an email that the decision has been posted online. After logging into the application website you see a congratulatory message and a note that says an official letter will be sent in mail to the current address on record

Do we also get an official "email" with the offer letter and links to admitted students website/facebook? If yes when can we expect that to come through?

any assistance is much appreciated

It's two emails. The email from the GIAC, which includes the official electronic acceptance letter, was sent a month after the decision. The official "Welcome to McCombs" email, which has the links to the sites/groups, came 4 days after the decision date.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 9

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 00:55
This post received
KUDOS
aalriy wrote:
@ All those who interviewed over Skype

The interview e-mail confirmation says that "If you requested a Skype interview, your interviewer will confirm the Skype ID and information with you directly one or two days prior to the interview date."

My interviewer is 'Interviewer Eight'; So, how do I share Skype ID with the interviewer?? I still haven't got any email from Adcoms asking me to share my Skype ID.. and my interview in tomorrow..

I received email from my interviewer 23 hours before the interview. She sent me her Skype ID and i confirmed mine once more.
That was it.
On the time of the interview I tried to reach her and she did not respond but she called me a minute later.

Interview started pretty formal. She asked me where I grew up and my high school experience. Also asked me about my career and why did I make decision to leave the company and then return to the same company two years later. Why am I interested in obtaining an MBA. Why McCombs. Why energy finance. Three things that my supervisor would say about me and to elaborate one of them. Is there anything I want to achieve prior to starting MBA. What was unexpected during my undergraduate studies. And of course my questions to her. It lasted total about 25 minutes.

We will see how it went on March 29th. :-D :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.02
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
About 15% of in-state tuition. Nothing too substantial but certainly a nice gesture.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
They gave me an in-state tuition waiver which is 15k per year, and a recruitment scholarship which is 5k per year. Its not a full ride or anything but it knocks a good portion off tuition.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.02
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
I already qualify for in-state tuition as I am a resident of Dallas. The scholarship was an additional $5k per annum.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: 333 Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Out-of-state tuition waiver + 10k

Austin here I come.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.03
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
Daedalus3 wrote:
So I just got an email inviting me to interview at McCombs. I applied in R3. The email states I must interview by Mar 1 (4 days away). I have a Skype option, but I want to visit and interview onsite (On Mar 1 Friday)
The scheduling tool shows that all interview spots onsite are taken for the next 4 days . I cannot seem to find class visits or info sessions available for the days leading up to this time as well.

Any thoughts? Am I left with no choice but the Skype interview?
Should I mail admissions? I really want to visit! I didn't know that interviews must be completed by Mar 1 :(

It's worth a shot emailing the admissions office to explain your situation, especially if you haven't seen/visited campus yet.

However I will say that there does not appear to be any disadvantage to a Skype interview in terms of your probably for admission. Most schools truly don't care whether the interview is conducted in-person or over Skype. It's all about personal preference, so I guess if you'd be much more comfortable doing the interview in person, let them know that and see if they can find time for you on campus. Congrats on the Interview, btw.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 11:04
This post received
KUDOS
ace312 wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
But in general I'd say that McCombs is considered a tier above those schools.

There is no doubt in my mind that McCombs is above the rest in texas. I should have been clearer. But given my long term goals in MC at Deloitte or PWC, would it matter where I went? Surely a candidate from one school would not be getting paid more than another candidate with the same profile just because they went to a school with higher rankings. I am certain there is no spreadsheet at any of these MCs that says the average salary for someone graduating from McCombs is 120K vs someone from Cox gets 100K. Please correct me if I am wrong

I don't think anyone can really answer your question definitively. Your best bet is to just plug in the numbers into a spreadsheet, and see where things fall. My gut tells me that if your scholarship at Rice/SMU approaches 100%, then they would probably be a better situation. I just don't think you'll get that much of a kiss for going to McCombs if your goals are to work for a PwC or Deloitte (especially within Texas) as compared to Rice or SMU.

Now, as your scholarship amount starts to dwindle, then I think your ROI at a full ticket McCombs goes up.

In any case, I do agree that McCombs presents more opportunities for the majority of people than do the other schools in Texas. However, the bottomline is that firms like PwC and Deloitte are going to recruit at all three schools. So, what sets you apart is going to be your networking skills, your past work experience, and your interview ability. So, if the scholarship money is substantial, I'd go with Rice or SMU (depending on if you like Houston or Dallas more). Heck, you might even be able to throw A&M (Mays) into the bunch, as well, if you can get them to pay for your school.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
Schools: McCombs '15 (M)
WE: Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 43

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
ace312 wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
But in general I'd say that McCombs is considered a tier above those schools.

There is no doubt in my mind that McCombs is above the rest in texas. I should have been clearer. But given my long term goals in MC at Deloitte or PWC, would it matter where I went? Surely a candidate from one school would not be getting paid more than another candidate with the same profile just because they went to a school with higher rankings. I am certain there is no spreadsheet at any of these MCs that says the average salary for someone graduating from McCombs is 120K vs someone from Cox gets 100K. Please correct me if I am wrong

I don't think it's a question of salary but of getting looked at and getting the job (and internship) to begin with. Deloitte, especially, seems to have a very strong recruiting relationship with McCombs. PwC is listed by BusinessWeek as a top employer from SMU so in that case it would seem sufficient.

I do also think that while either might help you meet your short-term goals, the McCombs experience and network will continue to pay long-term dividends. In other words, you might start at PwC with the same salary either way but there might be a longer-term advantage to McCombs. I say that with little knowledge of SMU though, so take that into account.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 14:25
This post received
KUDOS
ace312 wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:
Look at this way, according to BW McCombs placed 20 with Deloitte and 7 with PWC. The class size is 260 of which 24% went into consulting. So 27 out of about 62 seeking consulting went to Deloitte or PWC. That's over 40% which are pretty good odds.
Love the breakdown, class size is however 504.
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... ustin.html

Pretty certain that is inclusive of all programs (e.g. EMBA, DFW, Houston, Mexico City...). The full time enrollment from UT's website is pretty much in line with what was said:
http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/MBA/Full-Time/Admissions/Class-Profile.aspx

Given that many non-FT folks don't try to change companies, using the stats above might not be that flawed. Then again, you could very well convince me that either some large percentage of the 27 had worked for PwC or Deloitte prior to their MBA or that more than 62 had sought out consulting positions... and again, you might have some people leaking into that 27 figure from the non-FT program.

Long story short, it's not quite that simple. Don't overthink it, though. If you know that PwC and Deloitte recruit at all three schools, then that's just about all you need to know. I seriously doubt that those companies have a certain numerical target for hiring at each school. You're largely on equal footing once you get the interview with everyone else who is interviewing in the US. You're competing against anyone they interview. So, again, as long as you can land the interview (thanks mostly due to the on-campus recruitment), then the debt savings is going to be your biggest variable.

As to how much networking comes into play, you really shouldn't discount that much. The caliber of person that you'll be dealing with (and the kind of jobs they will have in the future) is very correlated with things like their GMAT score, GPA, and past work experience. Given that, 10 years down the road, would you rather be friends with someone who is in middle management at some regional bank or a managing director of a bulge bracket IB shop? Obviously, the latter is going to open more doors.

Heck, some people treat business school as a way to meet future business partners. A good (brilliant) friend of mine went to MIT solely to meet a partner for his business. As soon as he did, they both dropped out of school, moved to California, and got rolling on their idea.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 14:35
This post received
KUDOS
jiggedyjared wrote:
ace312 wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:
Look at this way, according to BW McCombs placed 20 with Deloitte and 7 with PWC. The class size is 260 of which 24% went into consulting. So 27 out of about 62 seeking consulting went to Deloitte or PWC. That's over 40% which are pretty good odds.
Love the breakdown, class size is however 504.
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... ustin.html

Pretty certain that is inclusive of all programs (e.g. EMBA, DFW, Houston, Mexico City...). The full time enrollment from UT's website is pretty much in line with what was said:
http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/MBA/Full-Time/Admissions/Class-Profile.aspx

Given that many non-FT folks don't try to change companies, using the stats above might not be that flawed. Then again, you could very well convince me that either some large percentage of the 27 had worked for PwC or Deloitte prior to their MBA or that more than 62 had sought out consulting positions... and again, you might have some people leaking into that 27 figure from the non-FT program.

The 504 is the total enrollment between the two years for the full time program. The BW profile only takes into account the FT program, there are separate rankings and profiles for PT and executive programs.

I'm looking at the viewbook that I got at my interview (someone posted a link to the online version a few posts back, take a look at page 29), and the 2014 class size is actually 237. So the 40% plus to Deloitte and PWC should be right, but you are correct that a portion are likely sponsored by the companies.

But anyway, I was just pointing out the numbers to show my point, which is that McCombs places well with the firms that ace is interested in. Probably quite a bit better than Jones or Cox.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 14:55
This post received
KUDOS
That’s all great advice mentioned above, and it sounds like you have a particularly difficult choice depending on the scholarship percentage because they’re all top-30’ish schools in TX (i.e., you are getting close to splitting hairs between the schools). Even though it’s a small program/city, I also wonder why more people on here don’t consider A&M’s Mays program if they want to stay in TX. By applying to those 3 programs, though, you’ve obviously thought through the relevance of geographic placement on networking efficacy.

I’ve wondered myself about the long-term effect of MBA choice because I’ve heard a lot of people say the name virtually disappears on a résumé after your initial job placement. However, here are some considerations:

- Which alumni base would you most want to be associated w/ based on their future mgmt. potential? Those people will carry more weight within their companies if you need to call them for a foot-in-the-door connection.

- Which school has the most alumni at the consulting companies you’re looking at? The greater the number, the greater likelihood you will know one of them or be able to reach out to one of them (other than LinkedIn, I know McCombs maintains the McCombs TODAY site where alumni post internships/jobs to a board). Moreover, the student bodies at both Cox and Jones are half the size of McCombs, and that will likely equate to less people at those companies.

- Which school will have you the most energized to attend, represent, and later visit? Your love for the school will play a factor in keeping you engaged w/ students and alumni via career fairs, tailgating sessions, alumni clubs, etc. I get a lot of UM grads stopping by my office because they see my memorabilia, or they stop me to chat in the airport/store w/ a “Go Blue” if I’m wearing a shirt. I definitely get that vibe w/ the “Hook ‘em” mantra.

- If you decide to leave the state, which school will be the most respected by potential employers? It may not mean much after initial placement, but it could be a tie-breaker.

- Consulting companies carry a precedent of hiring from the top MBA programs. Do you feel any of your co-workers would implicitly cast doubt on your potential by which school you attended? Yes, this is ignorantly shallow, but is sometimes reality.

As far as long-term earnings potential, Businessweek keeps stats on avg. graduate consultant salaries 5-10 yrs. post-graduation, as well as 10-20 yrs. post-graduation (feel free to apply the obligatory correlation ≠ causation argument here): Cox ($83K; $126K), Jones ($91K; no 10-20 yr. data), and McCombs ($105K; $123K).

Hope this helps.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
rjdunn03 wrote:
old1442 wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:
Y
9:00 p.m. Think 'n' Drink Social Event with Current Texas MBAs (not a UT sponsored event)

3:00 p.m. Final Four Watching Party (not a UT sponsored event) - OPTIONAL

I like how the school puts a disclaimer - "Not a UT sponsored event" As if saying "hey we don't take responsibility of how drunk our students get at this event and how they act" LOL
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2013, 10:13