Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
hailmary620 wrote:
jiggedyjared wrote:
Quote:
HI All - I applied round 3 and have still not heard back for an interview invite. Does anyone know the timeline? Should I be worried?

I'm in the same boat. I've got a higher than average GMAT score (using the GRE conversion), higher than average GPA, work for a target company in IB, have about average extra curriculars, and made it clear that McCombs was my top (really only) choice.

All that considered, I figured I was a sure thing for at least an interview. I applied about 2 and a half weeks prior to the R3 deadline even hoping that would push things along a bit. Yet, here I am without contact from them.

I'm wondering if a screwed myself a bit, because I originally applied to the Executive MBA program (graduated in '05), but switched to Full Time after that interview. I'm a little concerned they might view that move as me not having my focus clear just yet.

I am in the same boat. Thought my numbers and profile were stronger than typical McCombs students, but got humbled after no interview invite. I also made sure that my essays were strong. Why I received an interview from Tuck/Duke but not from UT is beyond my imagination. I think UT usually passes on applicants who it thinks will go somewhere else. This reminded me of a friend who got into MIT/Kellogg but didn't get into UT. And another friend who got into Stanford law but got rejected by UT law. This whole process is funny.

The average GMAT at McCombs is 700, which appears to be your exact score. McCombs is not an easy school to get into - 29% selectivity.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sufjan wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
Quote:
HI All - I applied round 3 and have still not heard back for an interview invite. Does anyone know the timeline? Should I be worried?

The average GMAT at McCombs is 700, which appears to be your exact score. McCombs is not an easy school to get into - 29% selectivity.

Yes, of course it's always a difficult process. I think their average GMAT is around 693 based on what I remember from their online literature, which is just a hair lower than 700. I didn't mean to imply that I was guaranteed admission, though, based on scoring a 700 or having a couple of decmials higher on the GPA. I simply meant I was surprised and (obviously) disappointed from what seems to be not even making the 50% cut of getting an interview given my inputs. I suppose that's the way this thing goes, though.

Anyway, just got an email from a different program at UT stating that my application pre-qualified me for it... I would venture the guess that would mark the final nail in the coffin based on the wording. Oh well... I will have to convince myself that the ROI on an MBA wouldn't have been very good anyway.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
My rd 2 acceptance finally updated on the website an hour or two ago. Not sure why it took so long. Anyone hear anything about scholarships?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Has anyone gotten access to the admitted students' website?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
brosnan6 wrote:
Is there a deadline for waitlist change notification? Meaning is there a concrete date that they tell waitlisted candidates a final yes/no? I dont see anything about waitlists on the McCombs website, and there was no actual decision letter for me to reference.

the mail said they will review early april again! but i know people getting a call as late as June as well
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
My rd 2 acceptance finally updated on the website an hour or two ago. Not sure why it took so long. Anyone hear anything about scholarships?

Would like to hear about scholarships also...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
adee009 wrote:
brosnan6 wrote:
Is there a deadline for waitlist change notification? Meaning is there a concrete date that they tell waitlisted candidates a final yes/no? I dont see anything about waitlists on the McCombs website, and there was no actual decision letter for me to reference.

the mail said they will review early april again! but i know people getting a call as late as June as well

Thank you. But what mail are you talking about? The only communication I received regarding the decision was an email at midnight on the decision date saying: "Your application for Texas Full Time MBA: Austin has been given a final decision. Please log in to the application website to see it.

https://mccombs-utexas-admissions.symplicity.com/

Please note: the GIAC status check will be updated at a later date with the same decision.

Sincerely,

McCombs Admissions"

And if I recall correctly, the website had only a small paragraph at the top of the page saying I was waitlisted and I could accept or reject
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Just had interview with McCombs. They told me that I will be notified of decision on 29.3.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AlanSmithee wrote:
Just had interview with McCombs. They told me that I will be notified of decision on 29.3.

After receiving what seemed to be the buzz off email yesterday, I went ahead and contacted the admissions committee to clear up my confusion last night. They told me the same thing (i.e. that there was a miscommunication with me and that no decisions would be relayed until March 29).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
eggsnham wrote:
Has anyone gotten access to the admitted students' website?

haven't seen that yet either.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
I'm a little late in posting this, but I'm in. I got the call from admissions on Wed. 2/13 and got the email on Fri. 2/15. Congrats to all admits so far.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
My Consortium application was submitted in the first round. Only very recently and after others received their decisions was my status updated from 'incomplete' to 'in review' after an email was sent asking how why that was the case. Turns out, my birthday on my GMAT score report and Texas application was different by two years. Given that my Consortium application and GMAT score report has always been correct and both match, McCombs must be manually by hand migrating data from Consortium applications to their Texas systems as computers don't make sure errors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
AlanSmithee wrote:

Hey Alan, Could you please give a brief about the interview??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@ All those who interviewed over Skype

The interview e-mail confirmation says that "If you requested a Skype interview, your interviewer will confirm the Skype ID and information with you directly one or two days prior to the interview date."

My interviewer is 'Interviewer Eight'; So, how do I share Skype ID with the interviewer?? I still haven't got any email from Adcoms asking me to share my Skype ID.. and my interview in tomorrow..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
aalriy wrote:

The interview e-mail confirmation says that "If you requested a Skype interview, your interviewer will confirm the Skype ID and information with you directly one or two days prior to the interview date."

My interviewer is 'Interviewer Eight'; So, how do I share Skype ID with the interviewer?? I still haven't got any email from Adcoms asking me to share my Skype ID.. and my interview in tomorrow..

I received email from my interviewer 23 hours before the interview. She sent me her Skype ID and i confirmed mine once more.
That was it.
On the time of the interview I tried to reach her and she did not respond but she called me a minute later.

Interview started pretty formal. She asked me where I grew up and my high school experience. Also asked me about my career and why did I make decision to leave the company and then return to the same company two years later. Why am I interested in obtaining an MBA. Why McCombs. Why energy finance. Three things that my supervisor would say about me and to elaborate one of them. Is there anything I want to achieve prior to starting MBA. What was unexpected during my undergraduate studies. And of course my questions to her. It lasted total about 25 minutes.

We will see how it went on March 29th. :-D :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AlanSmithee wrote:
aalriy wrote:

I received email from my interviewer 23 hours before the interview. She sent me her Skype ID and i confirmed mine once more.
That was it.
On the time of the interview I tried to reach her and she did not respond but she called me a minute later.

Interview started pretty formal. She asked me where I grew up and my high school experience. Also asked me about my career and why did I make decision to leave the company and then return to the same company two years later. Why am I interested in obtaining an MBA. Why McCombs. Why energy finance. Three things that my supervisor would say about me and to elaborate one of them. Is there anything I want to achieve prior to starting MBA. What was unexpected during my undergraduate studies. And of course my questions to her. It lasted total about 25 minutes.

We will see how it went on March 29th. :-D :-D

Thanks for the heads-up!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hey guys, just got a scholarship call

Posted from my mobile device