Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
jiggedyjared wrote:
gtg279v wrote:
gtg279v wrote:
Any R3 applicants heard back?

Submitted 1/16
Interviewed 2/9

Still waiting.

Accepted!! :). This is my number 1 school, so I'm stoked.

Posted from my mobile device Image

wow, that's awesome... and really early. Must have wowed them

It's most likely a different timeline for gtg279v because he is going in the PT program. Congrats, gtg!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
kasonhills wrote:
Are the students at McCombs a pretty tight knit group, or is more of a lone wolf type of class? Are there assigned learning teams or study groups like at other schools? Do they have opportunities for spouses to get involved?

Pretty much the first question I asked McCombs students and alumni during my research the past ~4 yrs. was if the student body was collegial or competitive. Most schools will claim they are collegial because they all stress team collaboration by leveraging diverse backgrounds. However, I felt like I talked to enough people (students, alumni, people who worked w/ McCombs grads, 3rd party admissions counselors) to really sense that McCombs is a genuinely collegial atmosphere. Even without soliciting for that answer, mostly everyone stressed the helpful intra-student collaboration and close relationships as their favorite part of their McCombs experience. This included helping each other interview (even at times for the same company), second-year students helping first-year students w/ the difficult quantitative courses, and more. If you think that more fierce competition is what will jump-start your motivation to succeed, McCombs may not be the place for you. It’s not that the students don’t push each other, because they do, but they say it’s in a healthy way that pushes the greater whole to succeed.

You’re assigned in your first-year to a 4-to-6-person study group, which is part of a larger ~65-person cohort for all your core classes. Most of your networking outside of your cohort will come from the extracurricular groups, etc. Once you move to your elective courses, you’ll be paired up w/ more hodge-podge groups of students.
Finally, the Students and Significant Others (SAS) organization provides support and social activities to introduce McCombs couples and families to Austin. SAS usually has about 50 couples per class, and the school claims it as one of the most active and resourceful clubs at McCombs. There are sub groups for males, international couples, and couples w/ kids. As a back-up option, you can always just bring your spouse to the other types of activities (tailgating/games, trivia Thursdays, etc.) until they develop a few closer friends.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
Schools: McCombs '15 (M)
WE: Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 43

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 16:49
This post received
KUDOS
USAFinDenver wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
Are the students at McCombs a pretty tight knit group, or is more of a lone wolf type of class? Are there assigned learning teams or study groups like at other schools? Do they have opportunities for spouses to get involved?

Finally, the Students and Significant Others (SAS) organization provides support and social activities to introduce McCombs couples and families to Austin. SAS usually has about 50 couples per class, and the school claims it as one of the most active and resourceful clubs at McCombs. There are sub groups for males, international couples, and couples w/ kids. As a back-up option, you can always just bring your spouse to the other types of activities (tailgating/games, trivia Thursdays, etc.) until they develop a few closer friends.

Just wanted to add -- the SAS organization has its own Facebook group. My wife has already gotten a lot of answers to questions on there.

Also, check out Christine Chen's videos on YouTube. Great look at student life.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
kasonhills wrote:
Hello again. Do the MBA students share the building and facilities with undergrads? Or do they have their own building? Are some of the classes mixed? Do the professors teach both graduate and undergraduate classes? Thank you very much.

The building is definitely the same. It's a big building and there are definitely MBA spaces (study rooms, etc.) but you see the whole range of students in it. I used to stop through there as a UT liberal arts undergrad because it had free copies of the Financial Times and a better food court than other buildings. It's also a shortcut between two main parts of campus and it's air-conditioned, so lots of foot traffic on the lower levels. And I remember it being quite clear who the MBA students were -- they were often in suits, had special MBA backpacks, different demeanor.

I'm not sure about the academic questions. I am nearly positive that there won't be undergrads in classes (all MBA classes have a graduate level course number). I don't know about the professors though.

(Again this is from the outside looking in so maybe a current student on here can weigh in)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.79
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
Keep your head up! And I am an old man as well (29) so don't give up hope if things don't work out this year.

I do have various money offers from all but Ross (still pending) so we'll see. Yes, I hope we do run into each other at DJ! I'll be rooting for you.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
jiggedyjared wrote:

same... I had anticipated my chances at McCombs being around 80% with an interview invite being all but a sure thing. Apparently, I over-estimated my credentials.

... and the fact that a 780 only got admitted to McCombs out of all their applications pretty much confirms that thought. Also, I'm 29 (got 1 more year under my belt than you). I agree that the ROI begins to fall quite a bit after about 25. With an average starting salary for grads of 105ish, I barely justified to myself even this year to go for an MBA. Next year would be out of the question.

I'm 31 and I had the same doubts about ROI. My current salary is only 10k below the McCombs post MBA salary. What convinced me was the long term ROI and the knowledge that I will move towards a career path where I believe I can do my best work.

My Oxford MBA 2013-2014 blog - http://oxonian2013mba.wordpress.com/

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 35

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
jiggedyjared wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

Quote:

Nope, nothing so far. I thought McCombs was going to be safety school for me, but they punched me on the face. No such thing as safety these days.

same... I had anticipated my chances at McCombs being around 80% with an interview invite being all but a sure thing. Apparently, I over-estimated my credentials.

... and the fact that a 780 only got admitted to McCombs out of all their applications pretty much confirms that thought. Also, I'm 29 (got 1 more year under my belt than you). I agree that the ROI begins to fall quite a bit after about 25. With an average starting salary for grads of 105ish, I barely justified to myself even this year to go for an MBA. Next year would be out of the question.

You are right on, I've been really surprised by how hard it is to get an acceptance. I think I have a good profile. I'm 27, high GMAT, good work experience, some international experience, plenty of service and volunteer work. My one weakness being my GPA which is about 3.25 - still well within range for every school I applied to. I got the 5 interview invites so I thought for sure I'd get at least 2-3 acceptances. Never saw four wait lists coming my way. I'm grateful for the McCombs acceptance for sure, but it's still been frustrating.

That is true the ROI does decrease, but if you are looking to change gears like I am, then the MBA is your best bet. If you're already in the industry you want to be in, then it may not be worth the price after a certain age.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 96

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
Hope so man. Your stats look solid so I'm surprised you haven't heard back too. Best of luck.[/quote]

RJDUNN: I think you should get your application analyzed by a consultant. My GMAT is significantly lower than yours, so it makes sense that I am not getting any luck, but your 780 is a big big weapon. 3.25 is very respectable also. I think you should apply to couple schools in R3 and get a consultant. I am very positive that it will yield good results. Maybe try for Kellogg/Booth this year.[/quote]

agreed. happy to recommend if u need. or just search the forums. but 780 can get u decent if ur story is good and rest of stats decent
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
tigerman23 wrote:
I applied round 3 to McCombs, haven't heard anything back from them yet after the interview. No one else has heard back yet right? However, I just got an email from them that was an update to the MBA waitlist and addressed to the MBA waitlist - am I to take that I'm on the waitlist now or is it some kind of mistake they sent out to other applicants too?

If you mean full time non-consortium R3, then it may very well be a mistake. McCombs applicant system is pretty flawed, but their staff is quite helpful. Might be worth just asking them directly. They fired off a mistaken update to me about a month ago. You should hear back next week for sure, though.

... also, I agree that with a 780, 3.25, international/management experiene, and decent extra-currics, you should set your sights on some additional schools. An admissions consultant might just be the help you need. Heck, I have much lower test scores than you, and if I weren't tied to Texas, I would have applied to NYU/Columbia/Yale. The top tier type (about the top 10) schools present much more solid post-mba options than the 2nd tier schools (about 11-25) in my opinion.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 9

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 14:28
This post received
KUDOS
It is better to be the only guy in a suit then the only guy in jeans.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 20:52
This post received
KUDOS
I'm thinking I will bring a blazer and a few ties but otherwise stick to business casual. It's been fairly warm lately in Austin so it might be nice if there aren't too many in suits/coats.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
illbemba wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:
illbemba wrote:
Actually I just double checked and apparently I was wrong. It does say round 1 and 2 have a better chance though. Another issue with Ross at this point is that their notification deadline is past UT's response deadline (April 18th on the website) by a couple of weeks. Bird in the hand vs. 2 in the bush kind of thing

You are right. But I also look at it as a risk free opportunity to experiment with things like asking for financial support.

But how can you do that without knowing that you've been admitted?

Looks like your decision in choosing schools is monetary driven, same as in my case.

So, if you get accepted to Johnson and Ross, email McCombs saying that you got accepted to higher ranked programs and hinting on giving you more money if they want to keep you. (this is going back to you doubting if you should still go to the interview)[/quote]

I get what you are saying...however as far as Ross goes, their notification deadline is early May so there is a good chance UT's response deadline will already have passed by the time I hear from them. With the probable money difference and the uncertainty, there is basically no chance I would wait to hear from them before accepting UT.

I appreciate the advice though.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.61
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
My status hasn't changed. I interviewed on Feb 19th.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 00:49
This post received
KUDOS
AlonZ wrote:
This whole thing seems strange..I mean..unless I'm wrong and they do make final decisions on certain applicants on the last day,
They already know who's in and who's not..I guess it's just their policy to post dings on the last day only and they already knew their decisions a week ago when they sent admission emails

Being one who hasn't heard back I PRAY TO GOD IM WRONG

Posted from my mobile device

I have to imagine they are in the overlap period where they get to peek at R4 candidates before making final decisions on some R3 candidates. Most schools seem to schedule things this way -- get the next round applications right before the previous round's notification date.

Also, there are only 59 admits on here and only about 150 on the FB group. If they are going to invite 550 total, it seems like both of those numbers would be higher.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
jiggedyjared wrote:
They likely post dings so late for two reasons mainly: 1) they want to compare marginal candidates to the next round's new applicants. If the next round has a strong group, then those folks get pushed to ding. 2) they want to appear to really be struggling on their decision on admits. If you got a ding two hours after turning in your application, would you feel like you'd been given a fair shake? Obviously not. So, they wait a (somewhat arbitrary) "long" amount of time to make it seem like they really poured over every detail of your application. Meanwhile, for likely 75 or so percent, the decision was made as soon as they saw the GPA/GMAT combination.

Your 1) Makes sense for a second, but you have to consider all the international applicants. Are they then comparing internationals from R3 to local candidates in R4 as someone mentioned?
In regards to 2)..Why? Why do they care about perception? Assuming all of us submitted before the deadline which was Jan 23, means that they have been sitting on our applications for over 2months. If that is not long enough time what is? :)

I would like to hear this from a 2nd year or someone who has worked close with AdCom
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Schools: McCombs '16 (M)

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 16

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
jiggedyjared wrote:
Yeah, of course, everything I said is conjecture. Isn't everything you read taken with a grain of salt? ;)

I think everything including any additional admits at this stage for R3 can be collectively classified as pure conjecture :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
Just received a call from adcom and another email outlining some next steps and links to other info. Texas sure does like to send emails.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 23

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 13:44
This post received
KUDOS
How did everyone like preview weekend? I loved it. Austin blew me away and I think I'm really going to enjoy my time there. All of the students (both prospective and current) that I met were really cool too. Hope everyone who was on the fence commits, it's going to be an awesome two years.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 19:22
This post received
KUDOS
old1442 wrote:
Brookstone wrote:
Any R3 admits hear about scholarship info? I didn't go to preview weekend, so was anything brought up about this?

interested in this as well. i was told id hear back soon as well. the ut financial aid page still says check back in 2 weeks

At preview weekend they said that financial aid awards wouldn't be out until May because they were held up by the Board of Regents and state legislature finalizing tuition rates.

That said, my award notification (for loans) came through this evening. My GIAC status has said check back in 2 weeks for 2 months now but tonight was updated with a link to CASH (Check Aid Status Here) on UT Direct.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 96

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 05:59
This post received
KUDOS
At preview weekend they said that financial aid awards wouldn't be out until May because they were held up by the Board of Regents and state legislature finalizing tuition rates.

[/quote]

thats rough - for r3 and r2 applicants who havent heard about $- their deposit deadline is april 18th. im gna ask if they'll be extending this in light of the delay in scholarship announcements. maybe some gmat clubbers can put the pressure on.[/quote

Got response: scholarship info available by end of the week for r3 applicants. Financial aid will take longer as will those who were not selected for scholarships but may be reconsidered.
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2013, 05:59