Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 17:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 18:30
I got the same email so I would assume everyone got the same email.

For those already interviewed I think it's best to add any information not in application and it's another chance to shine through.
For someone like me who has not been interviewed it would be like an unmanned interview. Any suggestions on what I should put in the video given I have not been interviewed.

brosnan6 wrote:
Got the below email from UT today. I guess I plan on doing the video interview. I went back and found one video interview report in this thread (http://gmatclub.com/forum/mccombs-ut-austin-2013-calling-all-applicants-139659-360.html?hilit=video#p1176926) -- but does anybody else have details? Wondering if the same 3 questions were asked of others as well.

Quote:
Thank you for your continued interest in the Texas MBA Program!

We continue to be interested in your candidacy and would like to provide you with some information which we hope will be useful for you.

1. Updates:

a. Please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu with any of the following items which may be relevant to your candidacy:

i. Improved test scores – be sure to include a PDF of the score and request that the official score be sent to you

ii. Material changes in your current employment including promotions, increase in job responsibilities, etc.

b. We do not generally need any additional recommendations so please do not request that any of these be sent to us.

c. Any updates should be emailed to MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by April 1st, 2013.

2. Video Interview Opportunity (Optional)

a. Please note that these are completely optional.

b. If you wish to have the opportunity to present your candidacy in a video interview, please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by March 25th, 2013 with your request with the subject of “Video Upload Request” and we will follow up with detailed instructions.

c. Please note that these must be completed by April 1st, 2013.

3. Decision Notification:

a. We expect to begin reviewing our waitlist at the end of April 2013 and will update you by early May with a decision on your application.

If you no longer wish to remain on our waitlist, please email us at MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

The Texas MBA Admissions Team

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.51

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 18:38
I also received the wait listed email. It's great that they give people a second chance but the email said they don't even start reviewing apps again until end of April. So, I'm accepting my fellowship at UNC. Doesn't make sense to wait around if I wasn't chosen the first go around. Obviously, I wasn't a good fit. And I don't see myself ever ever ever retaking the GMAT again to improve. Both schools have comparable stats, so I'm still thrilled with life. But it would have been nice to have been shown some love with an interview.

Congrats to all the new Longhorns!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 20:03
jiggedyjared wrote:
tigerman23 wrote:
I applied round 3 to McCombs, haven't heard anything back from them yet after the interview. No one else has heard back yet right? However, I just got an email from them that was an update to the MBA waitlist and addressed to the MBA waitlist - am I to take that I'm on the waitlist now or is it some kind of mistake they sent out to other applicants too?

If you mean full time non-consortium R3, then it may very well be a mistake. McCombs applicant system is pretty flawed, but their staff is quite helpful. Might be worth just asking them directly. They fired off a mistaken update to me about a month ago. You should hear back next week for sure, though.

... also, I agree that with a 780, 3.25, international/management experiene, and decent extra-currics, you should set your sights on some additional schools. An admissions consultant might just be the help you need. Heck, I have much lower test scores than you, and if I weren't tied to Texas, I would have applied to NYU/Columbia/Yale. The top tier type (about the top 10) schools present much more solid post-mba options than the 2nd tier schools (about 11-25) in my opinion.

Awesome thanks for the information - I thought the dates were a little funny on it too with the really short notice on telling them updates. Hope that it's not a harbinger of things to come!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 23:06
For the WL folks (or anyone who may have some input)

Do you think it wise to tell adcom whether you have been accepted elsewhere, primarily for deposit purposes? If they aren't even look at these until late April -that's past most deposit deadlines for accepted applicants and can present some issues.

Do you think that would negatively or positively affect a WL candidacy?

Thanks everyone!
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 03:10
silvaware wrote:
For the WL folks (or anyone who may have some input)

Do you think it wise to tell adcom whether you have been accepted elsewhere, primarily for deposit purposes? If they aren't even look at these until late April -that's past most deposit deadlines for accepted applicants and can present some issues.

Do you think that would negatively or positively affect a WL candidacy?

Thanks everyone!

where else were you accepted to and where does it/do they rank for you personally relative to mccoombs? id imagine it might encourage them to accelerate your process. i think if you got into better ranked schools or an equivalent school that offered you money and you still suggested mccombs was your top pick, i think that might help a bit. but they wont have that much visibility until their deposit deadlines have passed and they know who is taking their offers. waitlist is a tough predicament. if you really want to go and are fortunate to get in, i guess worst case is you lose the deposit to the other school. but you cant really go to mccombs and give them a deadline by saying you have another school's deposit deadline. only reiterate your interest, update your accomplishments, and include in there where you've been accepted, and maybe you could add something like "although my deposit is due April __. I have held off thus far in making it in hopes that I am admitted to mccombs. if there is a specific way that I can become a better candidate, please let me know." or somethign to that effect
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 06:08
Quote:
Our sincere apologies for the confusion.

This email was sent to you in error. Please disregard.

Again, my sincere apologies for the confusion.

Our decisions will be released next Friday.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 11:18
Question for everyone attending Preview Weekend: What is the dress code for the event? Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 11:20
for the McCombs preview weekend, I believe they said the dress code was business casual. Can't remember where I read it, probably on the admitted student website, but they made a point to say not to dress casually since we'll be making first impressions on our classmates and professors.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 9

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 14:28
This post received
KUDOS
It is better to be the only guy in a suit then the only guy in jeans.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
Schools: McCombs '15 (M)
WE: Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 43

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 20:52
This post received
KUDOS
I'm thinking I will bring a blazer and a few ties but otherwise stick to business casual. It's been fairly warm lately in Austin so it might be nice if there aren't too many in suits/coats.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 07:42
Gorgasali wrote:
I'm thinking I will bring a blazer and a few ties but otherwise stick to business casual. It's been fairly warm lately in Austin so it might be nice if there aren't too many in suits/coats.

very good point. really looking forward to meeting people. just remembered i need to request my days off still oops.
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:32
im in.. domestic round 3 applicant.. no scholarship info in the original email. did others get this in their first email?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:35
old1442 wrote:
im in.. domestic round 3 applicant.. no scholarship info in the original email. did others get this in their first email?

were you non-consortium full time?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 9

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:38
old1442 wrote:

I got this...

"Dear xxxxx,

We are pleased to inform you that we are recommending you for admission to McCombs! We look forward to having you join us in the Fall."

Is that it?! :-D
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:39
jiggedyjared wrote:
old1442 wrote:

yes non-consortium full time. Caucasian, unfortunately haha i think im the first to have heard that i know of. interviewed feb 9
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:40
AlanSmithee wrote:
old1442 wrote:

I got this...

"Dear xxxxx,

We are pleased to inform you that we are recommending you for admission to McCombs! We look forward to having you join us in the Fall."

i think theyre trying to get them out early so people can make arrangements for april 4th admit weekend. a few people emailed them about this previously
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:41
AlanSmithee wrote:
old1442 wrote:

I got this...

"Dear xxxxx,

Congrats.

Same one I got. I guess that means we are in.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:41
old1442 wrote:
jiggedyjared wrote:
old1442 wrote:

yes non-consortium full time. Caucasian, unfortunately haha i think im the first to have heard that i know of. interviewed feb 9

Awesome. Congratulations!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:44
I'm in!!!! Just received the same email.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 9

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:46
Oladipo4 wrote:
AlanSmithee wrote:
old1442 wrote:

I got this...

"Dear xxxxx,

Congrats.

Same one I got. I guess that means we are in.

Congrats to you too. :-D
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2013, 08:46