Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 00:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 37
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:49
Got the same email:) Congrats to all!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:15
For everyone admitted...what are your thoughts? I see some of you are admitted to some pretty impressive schools.

I have interviews with Michigan and Cornell next week but I just don't see how I could justify a tuition difference that would amount to over 20k per year (I live in Texas)...plus I really like the school and Austin itself. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger and probably cancel my campus visit and interview with Cornell.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 37
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:19
Oladipo4 wrote:
For everyone admitted...what are your thoughts? I see some of you are admitted to some pretty impressive schools.

I have interviews with Michigan and Cornell next week but I just don't see how I could justify a tuition difference that would amount to over 20k per year (I live in Texas)...plus I really like the school and Austin itself. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger and probably cancel my campus visit and interview with Cornell.


good point.
however don't you think that one of these schools might offer you a scholarship?
Current Student
avatar
Status: CBS - Class of 2015
Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 147
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:24
Oladipo4 wrote:
For everyone admitted...what are your thoughts? I see some of you are admitted to some pretty impressive schools.

I have interviews with Michigan and Cornell next week but I just don't see how I could justify a tuition difference that would amount to over 20k per year (I live in Texas)...plus I really like the school and Austin itself. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger and probably cancel my campus visit and interview with Cornell.


I prefer mccombs over cornell as well. But as another user suggested maybe u get a scholarship. Is there a local alumni interview or distance interview option with cornell. If u like the school it might be worthwhile to do so. Otherwise i think mccombs and possibly ross are two great choices in fun towns.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 37
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:26
Oladipo4 wrote:
For everyone admitted...what are your thoughts? I see some of you are admitted to some pretty impressive schools.

I have interviews with Michigan and Cornell next week but I just don't see how I could justify a tuition difference that would amount to over 20k per year (I live in Texas)...plus I really like the school and Austin itself. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger and probably cancel my campus visit and interview with Cornell.

When is ur interview scheduled for? I am scheduled for 26th. I can give you a ride from philly if you are on the same day.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.61
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:37
I got the email as well.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I would want to go to UT or UVA. I live in Texas, so UT would be a lot cheaper, but I don't want money to be a deciding factor. Any thoughts on the advantages of one program over the other?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 37
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:39
bas979 wrote:
I got the email as well.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I would want to go to UT or UVA. I live in Texas, so UT would be a lot cheaper, but I don't want money to be a deciding factor. Any thoughts on the advantages of one program over the other?


congrats! what are your post mba goals?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.61
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:46
illbemba wrote:
bas979 wrote:
I got the email as well.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I would want to go to UT or UVA. I live in Texas, so UT would be a lot cheaper, but I don't want money to be a deciding factor. Any thoughts on the advantages of one program over the other?


congrats! what are your post mba goals?


I have been leaning towards consulting, but might also pursue something in finance.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:49
bas979 wrote:
I got the email as well.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I would want to go to UT or UVA. I live in Texas, so UT would be a lot cheaper, but I don't want money to be a deciding factor. Any thoughts on the advantages of one program over the other?

I understand your point but as someone who has been paying off undergrad loans, I think you'll be singing a different tune when it comes time to pay them off.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:50
Sorry I guess I am making the assumption that you will even need loans
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:51
illbemba wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:
For everyone admitted...what are your thoughts? I see some of you are admitted to some pretty impressive schools.

I have interviews with Michigan and Cornell next week but I just don't see how I could justify a tuition difference that would amount to over 20k per year (I live in Texas)...plus I really like the school and Austin itself. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger and probably cancel my campus visit and interview with Cornell.

When is ur interview scheduled for? I am scheduled for 26th. I can give you a ride from philly if you are on the same day.

It actually is scheduled for the 26th but I am flying into Newark. Thanks for the generous offer though.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.61
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:54
Oladipo4 wrote:
bas979 wrote:
I got the email as well.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I would want to go to UT or UVA. I live in Texas, so UT would be a lot cheaper, but I don't want money to be a deciding factor. Any thoughts on the advantages of one program over the other?

I understand your point but as someone who has been paying off undergrad loans, I think you'll be singing a different tune when it comes time to pay them off.


I've saved up quite a bit in preparation for going back to school. My dad also dropped something on me that I wasn't expecting and told me not to worry about loans and that he would help make up the difference.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:56
illbemba wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:
For everyone admitted...what are your thoughts? I see some of you are admitted to some pretty impressive schools.

I have interviews with Michigan and Cornell next week but I just don't see how I could justify a tuition difference that would amount to over 20k per year (I live in Texas)...plus I really like the school and Austin itself. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger and probably cancel my campus visit and interview with Cornell.


good point.
however don't you think that one of these schools might offer you a scholarship?

I think Michigan only gives out scholarships in round 1 and round 2. I see you are admitted there...I have an alumni interview with them tomorrow which I will be going to.

I actually have been pretty blown away by all my interactions with people from Ross and think it is a great school. You considering going there?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 37
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:59
bas979 wrote:
illbemba wrote:



congrats! what are your post mba goals?


I have been leaning towards consulting, but might also pursue something in finance.


With consulting I think Darden with case method and a more well known brand is a definite winner, especially for you who I am assuming is looking to do a career change. Looks like the mean salary for consultants is higher than for any other job. Considering that, what you save in payments now will be offset by a better salary from a better company later, in case you choose Darden. But that's my opinion strictly for consulting.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.61
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:04
illbemba wrote:
bas979 wrote:
illbemba wrote:



congrats! what are your post mba goals?


I have been leaning towards consulting, but might also pursue something in finance.


With consulting I think Darden with case method and a more well known brand is a definite winner, especially for you who I am assuming is looking to do a career change. Looks like the mean salary for consultants is higher than for any other job. Considering that, what you save in payments now will be offset by a better salary from a better company later, in case you choose Darden. But that's my opinion strictly for consulting.


Ya, for consulting it would probably be an advantage to go to UVA, I'm just not sure if the case study method is for me. I'm not sure that learning team discussions every single night is the best use of my time.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 37
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:09
Oladipo4 wrote:
illbemba wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:
For everyone admitted...what are your thoughts? I see some of you are admitted to some pretty impressive schools.

I have interviews with Michigan and Cornell next week but I just don't see how I could justify a tuition difference that would amount to over 20k per year (I live in Texas)...plus I really like the school and Austin itself. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger and probably cancel my campus visit and interview with Cornell.


good point.
however don't you think that one of these schools might offer you a scholarship?

I think Michigan only gives out scholarships in round 1 and round 2. I see you are admitted there...I have an alumni interview with them tomorrow which I will be going to.

I actually have been pretty blown away by all my interactions with people from Ross and think it is a great school. You considering going there?


I loved Ross and everything about Ross. Actually all the schools are still within my consideration, because I started seeing strengths of the schools even clearer after I started getting offers and researching them from a totally different perspective. I am going to do a drastic career change - so MAP is actually very appealing to me.
Where did you read that scholarships are only limited to round 1 and 2? I ask that because McCombs explicitly stated that scholarships are mostly given for round 1 and round 2 applicants also, but in their email today I saw that we are still being considered for scholarships despite being round 3 applicants. Sp I wouldn't rush to make that conclusion with Ross as well.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:27
illbemba wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:
illbemba wrote:

good point.
however don't you think that one of these schools might offer you a scholarship?

I think Michigan only gives out scholarships in round 1 and round 2. I see you are admitted there...I have an alumni interview with them tomorrow which I will be going to.

I actually have been pretty blown away by all my interactions with people from Ross and think it is a great school. You considering going there?


I loved Ross and everything about Ross. Actually all the schools are still within my consideration, because I started seeing strengths of the schools even clearer after I started getting offers and researching them from a totally different perspective. I am going to do a drastic career change - so MAP is actually very appealing to me.
Where did you read that scholarships are only limited to round 1 and 2? I ask that because McCombs explicitly stated that scholarships are mostly given for round 1 and round 2 applicants also, but in their email today I saw that we are still being considered for scholarships despite being round 3 applicants. Sp I wouldn't rush to make that conclusion with Ross as well.

Actually I just double checked and apparently I was wrong. It does say round 1 and 2 have a better chance though. Another issue with Ross at this point is that their notification deadline is past UT's response deadline (April 18th on the website) by a couple of weeks. Bird in the hand vs. 2 in the bush kind of thing
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 37
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:36
Oladipo4 wrote:
illbemba wrote:

I loved Ross and everything about Ross. Actually all the schools are still within my consideration, because I started seeing strengths of the schools even clearer after I started getting offers and researching them from a totally different perspective. I am going to do a drastic career change - so MAP is actually very appealing to me.
Where did you read that scholarships are only limited to round 1 and 2? I ask that because McCombs explicitly stated that scholarships are mostly given for round 1 and round 2 applicants also, but in their email today I saw that we are still being considered for scholarships despite being round 3 applicants. Sp I wouldn't rush to make that conclusion with Ross as well.

Actually I just double checked and apparently I was wrong. It does say round 1 and 2 have a better chance though. Another issue with Ross at this point is that their notification deadline is past UT's response deadline (April 18th on the website) by a couple of weeks. Bird in the hand vs. 2 in the bush kind of thing

You are right. But I also look at it as a risk free opportunity to experiment with things like asking for financial support.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:40
illbemba wrote:
Oladipo4 wrote:
illbemba wrote:

I loved Ross and everything about Ross. Actually all the schools are still within my consideration, because I started seeing strengths of the schools even clearer after I started getting offers and researching them from a totally different perspective. I am going to do a drastic career change - so MAP is actually very appealing to me.
Where did you read that scholarships are only limited to round 1 and 2? I ask that because McCombs explicitly stated that scholarships are mostly given for round 1 and round 2 applicants also, but in their email today I saw that we are still being considered for scholarships despite being round 3 applicants. Sp I wouldn't rush to make that conclusion with Ross as well.

Actually I just double checked and apparently I was wrong. It does say round 1 and 2 have a better chance though. Another issue with Ross at this point is that their notification deadline is past UT's response deadline (April 18th on the website) by a couple of weeks. Bird in the hand vs. 2 in the bush kind of thing

You are right. But I also look at it as a risk free opportunity to experiment with things like asking for financial support.

But how can you do that without knowing that you've been admitted?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 37
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:45
Oladipo4 wrote:
illbemba wrote:
Actually I just double checked and apparently I was wrong. It does say round 1 and 2 have a better chance though. Another issue with Ross at this point is that their notification deadline is past UT's response deadline (April 18th on the website) by a couple of weeks. Bird in the hand vs. 2 in the bush kind of thing

You are right. But I also look at it as a risk free opportunity to experiment with things like asking for financial support.

But how can you do that without knowing that you've been admitted?[/quote]

Looks like your decision in choosing schools is monetary driven, same as in my case.

So, if you get accepted to Johnson and Ross, email McCombs saying that you got accepted to higher ranked programs and hinting on giving you more money if they want to keep you. (this is going back to you doubting if you should still go to the interview)
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2013, 10:45
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
118 Experts publish their posts in the topic McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants crackHSW 993 26 Sep 2012, 12:15
Experts publish their posts in the topic McCombs (UT Austin): Exec MBA 2013-Calling all applicants souvik101990 1 15 Feb 2013, 08:10
Experts publish their posts in the topic McCombs (UT Austin) Evening MBA 2013-Calling all applicants souvik101990 0 15 Feb 2013, 08:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  50    Next  [ 994 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.