Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Schools: McCombs '16 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 07:45
AlonZ wrote:

Congrats !!! Borrowing your case it sounds impossible for people who havent been admitted yet to get admitted at all..it took them 3 days between the "Recommended for Admission" and the "Admitted" mail...

On a more serious note, it doesn't look good with the numbers (23 invited to interview and 10 in already) I doubt acceptances go way higher than 50% of those interviewed in R3. Last years numbers seem to agree. I wager no more than an additional 2-3 admits at the most on this forum.
But I'm happy to be proven wrong :)

I suppose the days and weeks after April 18th will reveal much more, as R2, and R3 need to firm their acceptances with deposit $. I see so many admits here who have accepted to other equally placed schools so exciting times ahead for wait-listers and waitlisters-to be.

Also I think they will wait-list internationals in R3 because they will only know of R1, R2 deposit acceptances by Apr 18th.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 08:48
Daedalus3 wrote:
On a more serious note, it doesn't look good with the numbers (23 invited to interview and 10 in already) I doubt acceptances go way higher than 50% of those interviewed in R3. Last years numbers seem to agree. I wager no more than an additional 2-3 admits at the most on this forum.

You are right. It isn't looking good for us.

Stats of those interviewed who were later admitted (if you trust that only those interviewed where admitted)

Round 1: 60.5%
Round 2: 62.5%
Round 3: 50%

Round 1: 69%
Round 2: 65.2%
Round 3: 43.5%
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.03
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 08:57
stigmatizm wrote:
I know this isn't going to make anybody that hasn't heard anything feel any better, but I was admitted via email R3 last week and haven't received a congratulatory call yet. The whole process seems a little disorganized, but for reference here's my timeline:

01/22 - submitted application (day before deadline)
01/31 - email invitation to interview
02/14 - interviewed with adcom member (in NYC)
03/22 - received two emails from adcom - one saying I was being recommended for admission, and the second apologizing for not attaching the agenda for preview weekend to the first email. The second one was addressed to someone named Gabriel, so I was a bit confused. I tried accessing the admitted students portal over the weekend but nothing showed up, so I wasn't 100% sure my admission was legitimate haha
03/25 - received an email from"TexasMBA" notifying me my application has been given a final decision. Confirmed acceptance through simplicity portal.
03/26 - received another email from "UT Office of Admissions" that linked to a congratulatory letter from the graduate admissions portal (different from simplicity portal). I tried to access the admitted students website later in the evening with my UT EID credentials, and this time it worked

Very excited to visit Austin next weekend! Can't wait to get some Salt Lick!

Other than the interview day, this was pretty much exactky how things shook out for me as well.... the timeline and the string of emails matches up and I still haven't received any phonecall or information about scholarship $ (I'm assuming none will be given).

Keep the faith everybody! I think with the R4 deadline being yesterday, the ADCOM will start getting more admits out today and tomorrow. Other rounds had multiple days of admit notifications... There's no reason to think R3 would only have one day (last Friday).

Also, to the point about the FB group, I don't think that's a fair representation of the # of admits. I was admitted but didn't join the FB group because I haven't decided if I will matriculate to McCombs.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 09:46
MBAprocrastinator wrote:
Daedalus3 wrote:

You are right. It isn't looking good for us.

Stats of those interviewed who were later admitted (if you trust that only those interviewed where admitted)

Round 1: 60.5%
Round 2: 62.5%
Round 3: 50%

Round 1: 69%
Round 2: 65.2%
Round 3: 43.5%

Fairly small sample size. You're doing what I've done - which is driving yourself crazy analyzing this stuff. Just let it play itself out, and know that you'll have your answer in a matter of, at most, about 40 hours. In the meantime, step away from all of this. Just relax.

Also, I might make your numbers a little better if I counted myself as an interview. I was interviewed for EMBA, withdrew that application, and then applied to FT. I guess you could lump me in the denominator for total interviewees... I'll just say I'm not holding my breath that I'll get good news.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 09:48
I'll also say I've had to stop myself multiple times from writing AdCom an email exclaiming "WHY DON'T YOU WANT ME?????" ;)

Intern
Intern

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 10:41
Brookstone wrote:
stigmatizm wrote:
Other rounds had multiple days of admit notifications... There's no reason to think R3 would only have one day (last Friday).

Except last year it seems everyone who was accepted was notified only on Monday and then the dings/WL went out on Friday.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 10:45
MBAprocrastinator wrote:
Brookstone wrote:
stigmatizm wrote:
Other rounds had multiple days of admit notifications... There's no reason to think R3 would only have one day (last Friday).

Except last year it seems everyone who was accepted was notified only on Monday and then the dings/WL went out on Friday.

Last year doesnt seem to apply as this year even round 3 got admission mails last Friday..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
jiggedyjared wrote:
They likely post dings so late for two reasons mainly: 1) they want to compare marginal candidates to the next round's new applicants. If the next round has a strong group, then those folks get pushed to ding. 2) they want to appear to really be struggling on their decision on admits. If you got a ding two hours after turning in your application, would you feel like you'd been given a fair shake? Obviously not. So, they wait a (somewhat arbitrary) "long" amount of time to make it seem like they really poured over every detail of your application. Meanwhile, for likely 75 or so percent, the decision was made as soon as they saw the GPA/GMAT combination.

Your 1) Makes sense for a second, but you have to consider all the international applicants. Are they then comparing internationals from R3 to local candidates in R4 as someone mentioned?
In regards to 2)..Why? Why do they care about perception? Assuming all of us submitted before the deadline which was Jan 23, means that they have been sitting on our applications for over 2months. If that is not long enough time what is? :)

I would like to hear this from a 2nd year or someone who has worked close with AdCom
Manager
Manager

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:23
ace312 wrote:
jiggedyjared wrote:
They likely post dings so late for two reasons mainly: 1) they want to compare marginal candidates to the next round's new applicants. If the next round has a strong group, then those folks get pushed to ding. 2) they want to appear to really be struggling on their decision on admits. If you got a ding two hours after turning in your application, would you feel like you'd been given a fair shake? Obviously not. So, they wait a (somewhat arbitrary) "long" amount of time to make it seem like they really poured over every detail of your application. Meanwhile, for likely 75 or so percent, the decision was made as soon as they saw the GPA/GMAT combination.

Your 1) Makes sense for a second, but you have to consider all the international applicants. Are they then comparing internationals from R3 to local candidates in R4 as someone mentioned?
In regards to 2)..Why? Why do they care about perception? Assuming all of us submitted before the deadline which was Jan 23, means that they have been sitting on our applications for over 2months. If that is not long enough time what is? :)

I would like to hear this from a 2nd year or someone who has worked close with AdCom

Yeah, of course, everything I said is conjecture. Isn't everything you read taken with a grain of salt? ;)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Schools: McCombs '16 (M)

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 16

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
jiggedyjared wrote:
Yeah, of course, everything I said is conjecture. Isn't everything you read taken with a grain of salt? ;)

I think everything including any additional admits at this stage for R3 can be collectively classified as pure conjecture :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:50
jiggedyjared wrote:

I mean it makes sense to a certain degree. How else would you explain they sent out some admits/waitlist last week but not the rest. I am pretty certain they were counting the applications for R4. How they would decide on the quality of the applicant in those few days is still a mystery to me. GPA and GMAt don't tell the entire story.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.61
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:59
where is the admitted students website? I haven't seen a link to it.

stigmatizm wrote:
I know this isn't going to make anybody that hasn't heard anything feel any better, but I was admitted via email R3 last week and haven't received a congratulatory call yet. The whole process seems a little disorganized, but for reference here's my timeline:

01/22 - submitted application (day before deadline)
01/31 - email invitation to interview
02/14 - interviewed with adcom member (in NYC)
03/22 - received two emails from adcom - one saying I was being recommended for admission, and the second apologizing for not attaching the agenda for preview weekend to the first email. The second one was addressed to someone named Gabriel, so I was a bit confused. I tried accessing the admitted students portal over the weekend but nothing showed up, so I wasn't 100% sure my admission was legitimate haha
03/25 - received an email from"TexasMBA" notifying me my application has been given a final decision. Confirmed acceptance through simplicity portal.
03/26 - received another email from "UT Office of Admissions" that linked to a congratulatory letter from the graduate admissions portal (different from simplicity portal). I tried to access the admitted students website later in the evening with my UT EID credentials, and this time it worked

Very excited to visit Austin next weekend! Can't wait to get some Salt Lick!
Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 12:15
bas979 wrote:

Here you go - log in using your UT EID. I can't post URLs yet, so you'll have to copy/paste.

mbawelcome.mccombs.utexas.edu
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 13:49
another day gone.....well.....almost
bracing myself for a ding now
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 9

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 14:49
Received official admit email with link to admitted students page, admit packet etc.

Actually it is third admit email since Friday. They are really compensating for all these dings I got. :lol:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 15:39
Is there a letter for scholarship online along with the acceptance letter?

stigmatizm wrote:
bas979 wrote:

Here you go - log in using your UT EID. I can't post URLs yet, so you'll have to copy/paste.

Intern
Intern

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 16:11
anandaari wrote:

Prepared for the ding too, but hoping for the WL at this point.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 16:22
comiclown wrote:
Is there a letter for scholarship online along with the acceptance letter?

stigmatizm wrote:
bas979 wrote:

to my knowledge no scholarship decisions have been given yet for r3. correct me if i'm wrong anyone? admissions told me all will be made by admit weekend april 4th.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 16:34
For round 2, I wanna say it was about a week after the decisions were released that I got the scholarship call. Right after the call they sent me an e-mail with all of the details.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 23:27
MBAprocrastinator wrote:
anandaari wrote:

Prepared for the ding too, but hoping for the WL at this point.

You guys are lucky I can't even get WL as I'm international...I guess a ding is inevitable

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2013, 23:27