Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2013
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 07:35
hailmary620 wrote:
Daedalus3 wrote:
So I received a midnight ding email. All those who haven't heard back should call admissions if you don't hear back till late afternoon. If you were to be dinged you should have been with me I think!

Best of luck to those still in the game!

D3


Interesting. Not sure why all Dings are not sent out at the same time. Maybe they want to WL me w/o interview? Will surely call in couple hours.



I woke up at 12:30 and then about every 45 minutes after that expecting to be able to put this awful application mess behind me.

You're right; it doesn't make much sense to do multiple releases of dings. Now, I'm wondering if somehow my application fell through the cracks since I applied for a separate McCombs program and withdrew that application in an earlier round.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Posts: 54
Location: United States
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
Schools: McCombs '15 (M)
WE: Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 43

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 10:02
Good luck to all those dinged, WLed, or still waiting. I can only imagine they filled most of the slots in R1 and R2 and you were vying for a small number of remaining seats. My guess is we will start seeing people move off the waitlist right after April 18th, and then another batch in May.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2011
Posts: 66
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 10:40
Gorgasali wrote:
Good luck to all those dinged, WLed, or still waiting. I can only imagine they filled most of the slots in R1 and R2 and you were vying for a small number of remaining seats. My guess is we will start seeing people move off the waitlist right after April 18th, and then another batch in May.


I wonder how WL candidates from one round compare with the other. Does Adcom first get done with the WLed candidates from R1 and R2 before focusing on R3? Curious
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 358
Location: United States (WI)
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 11:13
ace312 wrote:
Gorgasali wrote:
Good luck to all those dinged, WLed, or still waiting. I can only imagine they filled most of the slots in R1 and R2 and you were vying for a small number of remaining seats. My guess is we will start seeing people move off the waitlist right after April 18th, and then another batch in May.


I wonder how WL candidates from one round compare with the other. Does Adcom first get done with the WLed candidates from R1 and R2 before focusing on R3? Curious


I don't really know, but I'd guess all rounds of WLers are on equal footing. The waitlist is basically used to round out the class, so if they see someone who fits what they are looking for I think they'd offer them the spot regardless of which round they applied in. The only advantage I could see a rd 1 waitlister having is more time to improve his/her candidacy and demonstrate that they want to come to McCombs (assuming McCombs accepts waitlist updates).

Best of luck to all waitlisted. It looks like rd 3 was particularly sparse on acceptances, so take it as a sign that they like you. That's what I'm trying to tell myself after being WLed at 4 schools in a row. :lol: Hope a few spots open up for you guys.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2013
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 11:35
.

Last edited by jiggedyjared on 01 Apr 2013, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 358
Location: United States (WI)
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 12:10
jiggedyjared wrote:
Gorgasali wrote:
Good luck to all those dinged, WLed, or still waiting. I can only imagine they filled most of the slots in R1 and R2 and you were vying for a small number of remaining seats. My guess is we will start seeing people move off the waitlist right after April 18th, and then another batch in May.



Um... to all those waiting to hear back... guess what, I just got the following email from AdCom:

"Thank you for reaching out to us. Your application is good to go and is still being reviewed. While we work to get all decisions out today it is tough! We should have an answer for you by mid-week next week. Thanks for your patience and good luck!

Regards...
"


Wow that's crazy. Well since you haven't been dinged or waitlisted so far, hopefully it means your chances are pretty good. Kinda frustrating that they're pushing the decision date back on you though.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2013
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 18:05
rjdunn03 wrote:
jiggedyjared wrote:
Gorgasali wrote:
Good luck to all those dinged, WLed, or still waiting. I can only imagine they filled most of the slots in R1 and R2 and you were vying for a small number of remaining seats. My guess is we will start seeing people move off the waitlist right after April 18th, and then another batch in May.



Um... to all those waiting to hear back... guess what, I just got the following email from AdCom:

"Thank you for reaching out to us. Your application is good to go and is still being reviewed. While we work to get all decisions out today it is tough! We should have an answer for you by mid-week next week. Thanks for your patience and good luck!

Regards...
"


Wow that's crazy. Well since you haven't been dinged or waitlisted so far, hopefully it means your chances are pretty good. Kinda frustrating that they're pushing the decision date back on you though.


I'm assuming it's a de facto Waitlist for me while they take a quick peak at the domestic round 4 applicants. In any case, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.


I guess it sort of makes sense that the people on here that have gotten a final decision (whether WL, Ding, or Admit) have all been either international or from the North. It allows them to make arrangements to get down to Austin for preview weekend. As a Dallas resident, I can be down there on very short notice. So, maybe they really are behind and just prioritized based on proximity.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 25
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 20:50
Dallas resident here, already got my waitlist email. :? So not sure what to make of your situation, it seems pretty odd.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 10:43
Odd that so many of you Dallas residents are getting WLed as well? I got waitlisted a few weeks ago in the Consortium round, just sent in my updates + video by the 4/1 deadline. Though I am in San Francisco, so who knows.

Fingers crossed for everyone.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 758
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 14:05
I am a round 3 applicant and didn't hear anything last Friday (no ding, waitlist or interview invite). Its seems pretty odd.
_________________

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2012
Posts: 56
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 14:24
silvaware wrote:
Odd that so many of you Dallas residents are getting WLed as well? I got waitlisted a few weeks ago in the Consortium round, just sent in my updates + video by the 4/1 deadline. Though I am in San Francisco, so who knows.

Fingers crossed for everyone.


Can you share what questions were asked in the video? I'm going to do mine later this evening
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 18:19
brosnan6 wrote:
russ wrote:
adee009 wrote:
I got the email too .. anyone of you submitted it. I am going to take it tonight or tomorrow. Please share the questiones of the process..its a first!
The video interview was 3 questions, with a 90 seconds time limit for each response...for a total 4 minutes and 30 seconds MAX. I was expecting about a half hour!

First question: why would you be a good fit with McCombs?
Second question: what would you change about the McCombs curriculum?
Third question: what clubs would you like to join?

It was really odd for me to not have the instant feedback from seeing an interviewer's reactions and no ability to interact. Also, your computer displays how you look in your video, so it's like dictating an essay into a mirror. I felt quite awkward, while I'm quite comfortable in face-to-face interviews.

I thought that the video interview would be my chance to jump onto the accepted list, but it was a strange experience that didn't leave me feeling confident.

Good luck to you other waitlistees.



Just did my video interview after making R2 waitlist with in-person interview. There were 3 questions @ 90 seconds each (as stated by prior poster). Once you start, you have to finish. So for those who don't read these forums and may not have had a head start in prepping, I have to wonder what the quality of their responses were (or what the admissions committee is expecting). I had the above 3 questions as my reference point so I was able to have somewhat coherent answers.

My questions were similar to the above poster's, but one was different.

1- Why is the Texas MBA program the right program for you?
2- Based on what you now know, if you could change one thing about the curriculum or student life, what would it be?
3- Where do you see yourself working in 10 years and why


Thanks Brosnan. I thought the video questions are all equal. Seems like they still have a sets of questions.
Really useful information and hope all WL candidates bringing out the best performance!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2013
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:34
About what I expected - just got waitlisted. Well, at least it's not a "no."
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2011
Posts: 66
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:57
We should start a waitlist thread based on Rounds, that way we know who is getting admitted, something to keep hopes up..if that interests you guys
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2013
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:59
ace312 wrote:
We should start a waitlist thread based on Rounds, that way we know who is getting admitted, something to keep hopes up..if that interests you guys


yeah... might be good... Isn't is about 25% get accepted off WL? I wonder how that percentage tracks round to round.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.01
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 13:54
So I applied in Round 4. I quickly received an invitation to interview. I'm headed down there to in a few weeks. I'm trying to temper my expectations. I would definitely go to UT if admitted. Given I'm in round 4 and have gotten an interview does anyone want to help me handicap my odds of admission?

White Male, Cornell Undergrad: 3.01 GPA, Consulting, 700 GMAT.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2013
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 14:08
chasbo87 wrote:
So I applied in Round 4. I quickly received an invitation to interview. I'm headed down there to in a few weeks. I'm trying to temper my expectations. I would definitely go to UT if admitted. Given I'm in round 4 and have gotten an interview does anyone want to help me handicap my odds of admission?

White Male, Cornell Undergrad: 3.01 GPA, Consulting, 700 GMAT.


Real hard to say... I recall reading that 50% get interview invites and 50% of those who get invited ultimately get offered a spot. So, at a basic level, you can consider it a coin flip. However, you have some positives and negatives going for you. On the plus side, you're from the northeast, attended an Ivy, and are in a target industry. On the negative, your GPA is well below the median, you're a caucasian male, and are applying R4. I'd venture a guess of about 40% based on all that, but that's knowing nothing about who you work for, your promotion history, management experience, extra currics, essay quality, rec quality, and post-MBA goals (which you could argue are all nearly as important as the things you stated).

As context, I applied R3, have decent EC's, got the equivalent of a 700 on the GRE, had a 3.5, and work for a target company in a target industry... and I got no love. Unfortunately, it all comes down to how their class is shaking out. They try to fill up certain buckets. If they have white male consultant from the NE bucket filled, then you might be out of luck... so, just hope that a lot of Indians, Europeans, and Financial Analysts apply, I guess!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 758
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 14:52
jiggedyjared wrote:
chasbo87 wrote:
So I applied in Round 4. I quickly received an invitation to interview. I'm headed down there to in a few weeks. I'm trying to temper my expectations. I would definitely go to UT if admitted. Given I'm in round 4 and have gotten an interview does anyone want to help me handicap my odds of admission?

White Male, Cornell Undergrad: 3.01 GPA, Consulting, 700 GMAT.


Real hard to say... I recall reading that 50% get interview invites and 50% of those who get invited ultimately get offered a spot. So, at a basic level, you can consider it a coin flip. However, you have some positives and negatives going for you. On the plus side, you're from the northeast, attended an Ivy, and are in a target industry. On the negative, your GPA is well below the median, you're a caucasian male, and are applying R4. I'd venture a guess of about 40% based on all that, but that's knowing nothing about who you work for, your promotion history, management experience, extra currics, essay quality, rec quality, and post-MBA goals (which you could argue are all nearly as important as the things you stated).

As context, I applied R3, have decent EC's, got the equivalent of a 700 on the GRE, had a 3.5, and work for a target company in a target industry... and I got no love. Unfortunately, it all comes down to how their class is shaking out. They try to fill up certain buckets. If they have white male consultant from the NE bucket filled, then you might be out of luck... so, just hope that a lot of Indians, Europeans, and Financial Analysts apply, I guess!



Well the biggest difference is that he went to ivy. UT love kids from ivys and usually willing to overlook other parts of their applications. I know someone who got in with a 3.2, much lower gmat and little work experience. All that person had going for him was that he went to Princeton.
_________________

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.01
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 06:19
hailmary620 wrote:
jiggedyjared wrote:
chasbo87 wrote:
So I applied in Round 4. I quickly received an invitation to interview. I'm headed down there to in a few weeks. I'm trying to temper my expectations. I would definitely go to UT if admitted. Given I'm in round 4 and have gotten an interview does anyone want to help me handicap my odds of admission?

White Male, Cornell Undergrad: 3.01 GPA, Consulting, 700 GMAT.


Real hard to say... I recall reading that 50% get interview invites and 50% of those who get invited ultimately get offered a spot. So, at a basic level, you can consider it a coin flip. However, you have some positives and negatives going for you. On the plus side, you're from the northeast, attended an Ivy, and are in a target industry. On the negative, your GPA is well below the median, you're a caucasian male, and are applying R4. I'd venture a guess of about 40% based on all that, but that's knowing nothing about who you work for, your promotion history, management experience, extra currics, essay quality, rec quality, and post-MBA goals (which you could argue are all nearly as important as the things you stated).

As context, I applied R3, have decent EC's, got the equivalent of a 700 on the GRE, had a 3.5, and work for a target company in a target industry... and I got no love. Unfortunately, it all comes down to how their class is shaking out. They try to fill up certain buckets. If they have white male consultant from the NE bucket filled, then you might be out of luck... so, just hope that a lot of Indians, Europeans, and Financial Analysts apply, I guess!



Well the biggest difference is that he went to ivy. UT love kids from ivys and usually willing to overlook other parts of their applications. I know someone who got in with a 3.2, much lower gmat and little work experience. All that person had going for him was that he went to Princeton.



Let's see. Additional details. I'm a change management consultant working in restructuring, I've been doing that for four years, and was a varisty rower during my undergraduate years. I've got good/great recommendations, and I'm on the board of a politically active local group here in NYC. I hope my essays were well written considering 50% of my job is writing for others :) . Hopefully the white kid from the Northeast bucket is a little emptier than usual. I'll repost on how it all shakes out.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2013
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '15 (D)
GRE 1: 1430 Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 06:40
Sounds like you might have an interesting story to tell. Do well on your interview, and I think you have a real good shot.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2013, 06:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
118 Experts publish their posts in the topic McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants crackHSW 993 26 Sep 2012, 12:15
Experts publish their posts in the topic McCombs (UT Austin): Exec MBA 2013-Calling all applicants souvik101990 1 15 Feb 2013, 08:10
Experts publish their posts in the topic McCombs (UT Austin) Evening MBA 2013-Calling all applicants souvik101990 0 15 Feb 2013, 08:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48  ...  50    Next  [ 994 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.