Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 23

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 06:07
brendxn wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
I know a couple students said they drive to campus but not sure how easy it is to do so

It's doable but most people end up parking at least a mile from the business school. Parking passes for the garages on campus are about $800 a year so very expensive. I find the buses to be easier

Thanks for the info. Yeah I remember they said it would be quite expensive for a pass. But with a parking pass, students wouldn't have to park a mile away right? Or is the parking very limited even with a pass?

Thank you.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 06:13
This post received
KUDOS
kasonhills wrote:
brendxn wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
I know a couple students said they drive to campus but not sure how easy it is to do so

It's doable but most people end up parking at least a mile from the business school. Parking passes for the garages on campus are about $800 a year so very expensive. I find the buses to be easier

Thanks for the info. Yeah I remember they said it would be quite expensive for a pass. But with a parking pass, students wouldn't have to park a mile away right? Or is the parking very limited even with a pass?

Thank you.

It wouldn't be quite as far. Check out a campus map.. You'd probably want to park in the Brazos garage but there might be another close one I'm forgetting. Campus parking is almost all garage parking so look for the campus garages.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 11:01
i'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to get a pass if i live in soco
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs '14 (A)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 06:16
TonyMontana896 wrote:
i'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to get a pass if i live in soco

Passes are actually only $600 for the year at Bob Bullock Museum - very much worth it especially if you are in SoCo.

McCombs Admissions Committee (MAC)

Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs '14 (A)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 06:21
TonyMontana896 wrote:
Guys what about State House on Congress apartments? Most people seem to enjoy it but Lisa Simon is ripping on it. For a 1BR its about 1300. The downtown 1BRs I'm seeing are all closer to 1600 a month.

You may find a cheaper unit at State House than in downtown but the complexes downtown notoriously have better management and care of their units. If that's not important to you, then State House will be a better deal.

McCombs Admissions Committee (MAC)

Manager
Manager

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 10:28
anyone know anything about greystar red river flats? Its just to the west of I35 and about a miile south of campus. Pretty close to downtown.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.03
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 06:46
Hi Guys - I decided to accept an offer from another school. Hopefully this opens up a spot for someone on the waitlist. Good luck to all!
Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 06:50
Brookstone wrote:
Hi Guys - I decided to accept an offer from another school. Hopefully this opens up a spot for someone on the waitlist. Good luck to all!

Me too. Austin I love you but you'll never quite feel like home as LA does.

Good luck to all the waitlisters!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 13:54
Does anyone know how the residency tuition works?

If you're out of state, do you qualify for residency tuition after the first year? It seems murky but do-able.
Current Student
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
Schools: McCombs '15 (M)
WE: Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 43

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 21:54
silvaware wrote:

If you're out of state, do you qualify for residency tuition after the first year? It seems murky but do-able.

I'm pretty sure the only real way to do this is the buy a house or condo. There may be other ways but the idea is that you have to show your intent to remain in Texas for purposes other than school.
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 21:55
stigmatizm wrote:
Brookstone wrote:

Me too. Austin I love you but you'll never quite feel like home as LA does.

Good luck to all the waitlisters!

Good luck to you two! (And to anyone still trying to make a decision by tomorrow)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 11:33
A bit random, but how would you guys compare McCombs vs Oxford Said?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 11:48
Gorgasali wrote:
silvaware wrote:

I'm pretty sure the only real way to do this is the buy a house or condo. There may be other ways but the idea is that you have to show your intent to remain in Texas for purposes other than school.

Last I checked, there was no tuition difference between the two. Why does it matter?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 13:15
This post received
KUDOS
gtg279v wrote:
Gorgasali wrote:
silvaware wrote:

Last I checked, there was no tuition difference between the two. Why does it matter?

might be different for PT, but for full time the difference is about 15k per year so its significant
Manager
Manager

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 13:27
Lowkeyg wrote:
A bit random, but how would you guys compare McCombs vs Oxford Said?

hmm well you're right, that is kinda random. I'll be honest I know pretty much nothing about Said so it's hard to compare. I can tell you a bit about Texas. It is a very solid program, good placement, pretty much every top company recruits here. Though because it is somewhat of a regional school, certain companies will only be recruiting for their Texas offices. None the less everyone recruits including m/b/b and the top banks. McCombs is particularly strong in Energy due to its close geographic ties with the industry. It is also very strong in tech and entrepreneurship. Austin is a great startup location. Of course Texas also places well with Consulting firms and I-banks, though not quite as well as some higher ranked schools.

Another huge plus for UT is Austin itself. The city is awesome, tons of energy, tons to do, I think anyone would enjoy living there.

Tell us what your goals are and where you'd like to live after b-school and we can give you some input on how well Texas would fit.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 14:11
silvaware wrote:
might be different for PT, but for full time the difference is about 15k per year so its significant

Wow, I see (I just looked it up).
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 16:14
i believe that pt is the same cost in state or out
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 21:26
I see we have one more person listed as Matriculating. Did everyone make the response deadline?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 09:12
I paid my deposit. Hope others here did as well.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.01
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 04:29
So I went to Austin to do my interview last week. I thought it went well, but we didn't take the full hour. We pretty much shut it down after 40-45 minutes. Is this a common experience?
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2013, 04:29