Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 17:12
azwe wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:
Interesting, well I'm assuming you are looking to do something new? The application is about putting together a good explanation of why you need an MBA, and how it will help you accomplish your goals. All I know about being a pharmacist is that it involves counting pills. I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it requires a great deal of problem solving, and if that is the case, you'll really want to focus on the skills you've gained in your leadership capacity as you write your essays.

Also, if you are looking to change careers don't make it sound like you're burnt out and the MBA is your way out. Rather, talk about how you plan to build on what you've learned as a pharmacist to transition into something new.

Being a pharmacist is all about problem solving and way more than just counting pills. Most pharmacists would be insulted by your observation but I understand where you're coming from as someone who once thought the same so I take no offense. I'm not looking for something new but to advance the direction pharmacy is heading, it requires people like myself with an MBA from a good program.

Hey i didn't mean to offend. I'm saying that that is all I know of it, and it's likely that many in the admissions committees will only have the same vague understanding. So just be sure to explain to them the problem solving you do and also the leadership experiences that you've had.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 20:08
My brother in law is a pharmacist. Most of what pharmacists do is measure and count out pills. So the standard work of a pharmacist is cut and dry, doesn't require problem solving or creativity. Rather, they follow a set of protocols in filling prescriptions and advising both doctors and clients on dosing and usage. Again, that doesn't leave much room for analysis. However, if aswe has management over the pharmacy as well, then he may make business decisions as well. So that is where an MBA will come into use.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 20:38
azwe wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:
Interesting, well I'm assuming you are looking to do something new? The application is about putting together a good explanation of why you need an MBA, and how it will help you accomplish your goals. All I know about being a pharmacist is that it involves counting pills. I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it requires a great deal of problem solving, and if that is the case, you'll really want to focus on the skills you've gained in your leadership capacity as you write your essays.

Also, if you are looking to change careers don't make it sound like you're burnt out and the MBA is your way out. Rather, talk about how you plan to build on what you've learned as a pharmacist to transition into something new.

Being a pharmacist is all about problem solving and way more than just counting pills. Most pharmacists would be insulted by your observation but I understand where you're coming from as someone who once thought the same so I take no offense. I'm not looking for something new but to advance the direction pharmacy is heading, it requires people like myself with an MBA from a good program.

So consider me one of the ignorant ones -- I am legitimately curious as to what a pharmacist's job involves. Is there a quick summary you can provide (or link to a good explanation)? I always figured that these days the computers figure out all the problems that could arise (drug interactions, dosages, etc)...seems like a computer would be better able to keep track of everything over a human brain? Again, not trying to be condescending here -- I honestly didn't think there wasn't much involved with being a pharmacist but would love to know more.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 00:09
I was just admitted! I got the e-mail pretty late today, even for Hawaii.
Current Student
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 04:47
rmrose wrote:

Congrats! It looks like there will be quite a few vets in our class again. What branch are you? BTW, out of pure curiosity, what drove you to apply in R4? It looks like you've only applied to the two schools, so I imagine it was a recent decision to dive to an MBA?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.01
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 04:49
Well, I just got waitlisted in round 4. I was interviewed as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on my odds at this stage? I'm not exactly hopeful. Has anyone had any luck sneaking off the waitlist?
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 04:53
kschmidt1801 wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
When is everyone moving to Austin? And secondly, is anyone doing the MAP stuff? I didn't sign up for the week long ones but I'll probably do the day trips.

I'm looking at July 7th-9th. I didn't sign up for the MAP stuff, because it doesn't quite seem fair to go on a vacation without my partner. Might do one of the day things.

July 22nd for me, but I'm only doing the river floating MAP. I understand they need to contract a 3rd-party travel company to host the trip for simplicity sake, but that really inflated the cost of the trips relative to what I'd consider reasonable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 05:43
chasbo87 wrote:
Well, I just got waitlisted in round 4. I was interviewed as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on my odds at this stage? I'm not exactly hopeful. Has anyone had any luck sneaking off the waitlist?

Hard to predict your odds. I remember someone posted that McCombs accepted 20% of waitlisted applicants last year, though it's hard to say for rd 4.

There is also a waitlist thread you should check out if you haven't already:

mccombs-2013-calling-all-waitlisted-applicants-150245.html
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 23

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 05:57
brosnan6 wrote:
azwe wrote:

So consider me one of the ignorant ones -- I am legitimately curious as to what a pharmacist's job involves. Is there a quick summary you can provide (or link to a good explanation)? I always figured that these days the computers figure out all the problems that could arise (drug interactions, dosages, etc)...seems like a computer would be better able to keep track of everything over a human brain? Again, not trying to be condescending here -- I honestly didn't think there wasn't much involved with being a pharmacist but would love to know more.

Hmm very interesting azwe. I'm curious about this too now. I guess there are a lot of misconceptions about the role of a pharmacist.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Military & Defense)

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 10:20
USAFinDenver wrote:
rmrose wrote:

Congrats! It looks like there will be quite a few vets in our class again. What branch are you? BTW, out of pure curiosity, what drove you to apply in R4? It looks like you've only applied to the two schools, so I imagine it was a recent decision to dive to an MBA?

Thanks. I am an enlisted sailor. How many vets do you know of in the Class of 2015? I only applied to McCombs and Rice because I wanted to get into energy and entrepreneurship. I also knew the brands better because I'm from Texas and had limited opportunities to see the schools elsewhere.
Current Student

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 11:25
rmrose wrote:
USAFinDenver wrote:
rmrose wrote:

Thanks. I am an enlisted sailor. How many vets do you know of in the Class of 2015? I only applied to McCombs and Rice because I wanted to get into energy and entrepreneurship. I also knew the brands better because I'm from Texas and had limited opportunities to see the schools elsewhere.

There are usually 10-13 vets, and I think we are about 12 or so that I know of (including 2 USNA grads). You can join the McCombs FB and LinkedIn AFAA pages to check it out.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Schools: McCombs PT '20

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 15:50
TonyMontana896 wrote:
My brother in law is a pharmacist. Most of what pharmacists do is measure and count out pills. So the standard work of a pharmacist is cut and dry, doesn't require problem solving or creativity. Rather, they follow a set of protocols in filling prescriptions and advising both doctors and clients on dosing and usage. Again, that doesn't leave much room for analysis. However, if aswe has management over the pharmacy as well, then he may make business decisions as well. So that is where an MBA will come into use.

No room for analysis? Doesn't require problem solving or creativity? You clearly have no idea what we do. We get 8 semesters of pharmacology in college, your docs get 1 or 2. It's a lot more than just counting pills. Computers are smart but they can't catch everything. The human element is very real and we catch prescription errors all the time. Even therapeutic errors. You got diagnosed with a skin infection and your doctor wrote for a drug your insurance doesn't cover. Need an alternative? Great. We have to figure out costs, antibiotic spectrum, whether it's gram positive or gram negative, aerobic or anaerobic, ever had a reaction to a certain type of antibiotic, age, tendon disease, etc. Coumadin clinics are usually run by pharmacists and help manage your blood thinner ensuring you're at a lower risk for developing a clot. We dose you based on lots of factors and we have to monitor while making appropriate changes.

You don't see any of this because you aren't behind the counter. The stuff I mentioned doesn't even include what hospital pharmacists do. Now do you guys see why so many pharmacists get offended by those comments? "Doesn't require problem solving or creativity". Say that around a pharmacist, nurse, or doctor and they'll laugh you out the door.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 18:36
azwe wrote:
TonyMontana896 wrote:

No room for analysis? Doesn't require problem solving or creativity? You clearly have no idea what we do. We get 8 semesters of pharmacology in college, your docs get 1 or 2. It's a lot more than just counting pills. Computers are smart but they can't catch everything. The human element is very real and we catch prescription errors all the time. Even therapeutic errors. You got diagnosed with a skin infection and your doctor wrote for a drug your insurance doesn't cover. Need an alternative? Great. We have to figure out costs, antibiotic spectrum, whether it's gram positive or gram negative, aerobic or anaerobic, ever had a reaction to a certain type of antibiotic, age, tendon disease, etc. Coumadin clinics are usually run by pharmacists and help manage your blood thinner ensuring you're at a lower risk for developing a clot. We dose you based on lots of factors and we have to monitor while making appropriate changes.

You don't see any of this because you aren't behind the counter. The stuff I mentioned doesn't even include what hospital pharmacists do. Now do you guys see why so many pharmacists get offended by those comments? "Doesn't require problem solving or creativity". Say that around a pharmacist, nurse, or doctor and they'll laugh you out the door.

Dear azwe,
I apologize if I offended you. Please know that I meant no insult. I was simply saying that pharmacists in general follow a set of rules and guidelines from which they cannot deviate. In that regard they are unable to be creative. But please keep in mind, what I know comes from the point of view of my brother in law who works at a walgreens so it is likely different than what you do as a hospital pharmacist. Thank you again for understanding.
Current Student
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
Schools: McCombs '15 (M)
WE: Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 43

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 18:54
rmrose wrote:
USAFinDenver wrote:
rmrose wrote:

Hi rmrose -- Congrats! Fellow (former) enlisted sailor and Texas veteran here. Look forward to meeting you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 23

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 17:14
Good luck at Tuck
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 06:43
I'm surprised we don't have any round 4 or wait list news today
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.64

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 08:20
brendxn wrote:

Yeah, pretty nerve-racking. Hoping "early May" doesn't spill into next week.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 08:23
coug10 wrote:
brendxn wrote:

Yeah. We both are on Duke WL as well. Did you hear anything today? I am still on WL

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 08:24
coug10 wrote:
brendxn wrote:

Yeah, but the notification deadline for round 4 should be today, so I figured we would see some action there. I also spoke on the phone with admission a few weeks back and they told me all wait listed applicants would be notified on May 10th, although that doesn't make sense to me. Since r4 accepts have until the end of May to accept their offer I imagine waitlisters will still be accepted into early June. Perhaps an initial round of dings is being made today?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.64

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 08:26
hailmary620 wrote:
coug10 wrote:
brendxn wrote:

Yeah. We both are on Duke WL as well. Did you hear anything today? I am still on WL

No, I haven't heard anything from either school. I've been on the Fuqua WL since early January. Doesn't look like anyone has been accepted off either waitlist yet.
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 10 May 2013, 08:26