Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 08:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
7 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [7] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Calling All Texas - McCombs Fall 2013 Applicants!

Detailed Program Information: GMAT Club's Texas - McCombs School Guide

Detailed Applicant List: Add UT-Austin (McCombs) to Your Profile

McCombs Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add McCombs to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Detailed Program Information: GMAT Club's Texas - McCombs School Guide

Fall 2013 Application Instructions

Round 1 Deadline: 10/16/2012 | Decision Date: Week of December 14, 2012
Round 2* Deadline: 12/4/2012 | Decision Date: Week of February 15, 2013
Round 3 Deadline: 1/23/2013 | Decision Date: Week of March 29, 2013
Round 4** Deadline: 3/26/2013 | Decision Date: Week of May 10, 2013
* Round 2 is Priority Deadline for scholarship consideration
** Round 4 is for Domestic applicants only; Round 3 is the final round for International applicants.

Essays

Essay 1: Describe how your professional and personal experiences have led you to pursue an MBA at this time. Please share with us your short and long term goals and why the Texas MBA at McCombs is the program best positioned to help you achieve them.
Limit: 800 words

Essay 2: At the University of Texas at Austin, our motto is “What starts here changes the world.” Here at McCombs, we are looking for students who share this vision. We believe that the MBA experience is a transformative one and that our students are able to have a positive impact, not only on their own lives, but also in their workplaces, their local communities, their professional industries and/or the world generally.

a) In your life to date, please tell us about an instance when you felt that you had the most positive impact and why you believe it to be significant?
Limit: 200 words

b) How do you intend to positively impact the MBA community while you are an MBA student at McCombs?

c) After graduation from business school, what kind of positive impact would you like to have?

Optional Essay

Please provide any additional information to the admissions committee that you believe is important and/or will address any areas of concern that will be beneficial to the committee in considering your application. (For example, if your standardized test scores are low or if you have not had coursework in core business subjects (i.e. calculus, microeconomics, statistics, financial accounting), please tell us how you plan to prepare yourself for the quantitative rigor of the MBA curriculum.)

Recommendation Questions (2 recommenders)
Section I - Questions for the Recommender
  • How do you know the applicant?
  • How long have you known the applicant?
  • LEADERSHIP POTENTIAL - Identify specific personal and professional qualities that demonstrate the leadership potential of the applicant and provide detailed examples to support your recommendations.
  • TEAMWORK - Share your observations of the applicant's ability to be an effective team member and provide detailed examples to support your recommendations.
  • AWARENESS - Through your relationship with the applicant, how open and willing has he/she been to solicit and accept feedback? In your experience, has the applicant been able to handle failures/setbacks in a constructive manner?
  • What weaknesses do you think could impact the applicant's future success?
Section II - Rating Scale
  • Leadership Potential
  • Teamwork/Collaboration
  • Initiative/Motivation
  • Ethics/Integrity
  • Maturity
  • Analytical Skills
Section III - Overall Assessment
  • Please make any additional comments which you think will help in assessing the candidacy of the applicant
  • Please choose one of the following to express your overall assessment of this applicant: Exceptional Candidate (Top 2%), Excellent Candidate (Top 10%),Good Candidate (Top 25%),Average Candidate (Top 50%),Below Average.
Section IV - Upload Letter Option
The admissions committee prefers the online form for recommendations. Uploading a letter of recommendation here is optional. Please also complete the form and ratings above.

Essay Analysis

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Last edited by crackHSW on 29 Sep 2012, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
6 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [6] , given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 19:40
This post received
KUDOS
Here's a quick run-down of my interview experience:

- It lasted ~ 1.25 hrs.
- It was a partially blind interview. The interviewer had my resume, but hadn’t seen my essays, letters of recommendation, etc.
- I'm not sure if this still holds true, but as of a couple years ago the interview selection process was actually only based on a quantitative algorithm (nebulous details on the variables). After the interview write-up is submitted, 1-2 second-year students review the file for the first time. If necessary, someone from the actual admissions board will review the application.
- The interviewer spoke very candidly about the process and gave me feedback on how I did (no, I didn't ask the question or solicit the feedback). Thankfully, the interviewer said they were going to recommend my admittance.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by USAFinDenver on 08 Oct 2013, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [4] , given: 23

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 05:43
This post received
KUDOS
good luck to all waiting on admits today
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)

Kudos [?]: 65 [3] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 13:14
This post received
KUDOS
Just got a call from the admissions office, they are increasing my scholarship amount. What a pleasant surprise!
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [3] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
bas979 wrote:
I got the email as well.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I would want to go to UT or UVA. I live in Texas, so UT would be a lot cheaper, but I don't want money to be a deciding factor. Any thoughts on the advantages of one program over the other?

Congrats to all the admits!

I applied to UVA and was waitlisted, but I heavily researched both schools. Here are a few of my thoughts.

UVA does have the stronger brand that is true, especially if you are shooting for m/b/b, of course keep in mind there will be a lot of competition for those firms anywhere. Now if you are content with Deloitte, Accenture etc, then McCombs will get you there just as easily I'd think. As far as the salary differences, most consulting firms have standard salaries that they pay graduating MBA's. They will be the same at McCombs and Darden.

A few other differences that I've noticed. Darden has nicer facilities, I was really impressed by them during my visit. Darden you really have to love the case method because it's 100%. They are also notorious for having a larger work load than any other school. This is because you have to read 3 cases every night and meet with your learning team to discuss them. It's a lot of work and students did say it's very difficult to balance the recruiting and other activities with the work load. However, everyone there is in the same boat so you aren't really at a disadvantage compared to your peers. UVA is definitely unique, so if you're a good fit you'll love it, if you aren't a good fit you probably won't.

Now, if you want to end up in Texas after school, UT is a great choice because local firms and offices are very loyal to Texas alum. At least that's what I've heard. Austin is also a more fun city, much more energy and more to do. Charlottesville seems nice but its small and not close to much, that's just my impression after visiting both schools once, but I think most people will agree that Austin is a great city.

Honestly, you can't go wrong, you're in an awesome position. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 06:16
This post received
KUDOS
LN03FZL wrote:
Any interview experiences? I have mine scheduled next week.

Re-pasted from pg. 13 of the thread:
http://blog.clearadmit.com/category/int ... l/mccombs/

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 11:00
This post received
KUDOS
I wanted to call out to any current McCombs MBA students on this forum if any. I have applied and interviewed with McCombs and currently awaiting a decision. Meanwhile I want to continue learning more about this program. After thoroughly reading all the content on the school's website and talking to adcom/current students/alumni I cant believe this program is ranked 17th. I'm not saying this because I have applied to this school and may have some sort of a bias. But after comparing with other programs that are between 10-15 I fail to understand why this program is ranked lower. Absolute rankings are not entirely an indicator of the program's quality but relative rankings are certainly worth considering. I believe McCombs should at least be a top 15 school and hence would like to understand from current students what is it that keeps McCombs outside this group. So far I have only heard great things about McCombs but I would also like to know some of the not so great aspects of the school so that I'm completely informed. This will most likely not change my mind about the strength of the program but will only make me a well informed applicant. So I encourage some candid responses. Thank you for any insights in advance.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 129 [2] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
LN03FZL wrote:
vatsas wrote:
krasher134 wrote:

I did my McCombs interview on-campus a few weeks ago with a member of the AdCom. I had the option of doing it with a student, but I opted not to. Personal preference, not really any other reason behind it (it was my first interview, so I wanted to do it with an AdCom).

I looked online through several blogs and found a number of the same questions for the McCombs interview, which all seemed to pop up during my conversation. Things like, "tell me about yourself"/"walk me through your resume", etc. (the major ones), but I did get surprised by a couple of questions.

Namely, "what is the first impression someone has when they meet you?", "if you could change something at the company you work for, what would it be?" and "why did you choose your undergraduate institution?" I got tripped up on the first and last of these questions, as I was not expecting them, so my advice would be to be ready to answer questions that you may not have prepared for.

As for blind or read, I can't say, as it was not brought up.

Hope this helps! Just be yourself and you'll do just fine.

Hey Krasher,

Thanks for the detailed information. I really appreciate it. This will be my first interview as well. I still don't understand the benefit of interviewing with Adcom member over doing it with Second Year.

I concur with you; first and last question would have stumped me as well.

Thank You and Good Luck!

Sumeet,

If you happen to impress the Adcom member while he/she interview you, then you have an edge as that person will be there in all the discussion related to your application. He will be your advocate. A second year guy will not be there when the decision is being made. Good luck.

Well this is not right and I would love to be proved wrong but only if this is based not on your personal experience alone.

Sumeet,

Adcoms generally give the following options :

1)Interview with the adcoms
2)Interview with alum/2nd year students (they are part of admission comm)
3)Skype
4)Telephone
5)Campus visit

all of these options are given giving due consideration to the applicants location , mobility and his/her preference. In the end the adcom wants to know you as a person and wants to make you as comfortable as possible. A 2nd year student would be almost at par with the adcom member himself because that 2nd year student has been nominated and elected by the adcom itself. So my advice is don't worry about the fact that who has higher say over whom in the admission decision making process. Focus on what you want to tell and what impression you want to leave. Hope this helps.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 1

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 19:53
This post received
KUDOS
Might as well just post the whole email for everyone to freak out and over analyze:

Greetings!

Though it is Monday and a gloomy day here in Austin, I thought I would share with you some good news! It is with a great deal of pleasure that I inform you that we would like to offer you admission to the McCombs School of Business.

This email is purely a note to wish you congratulations, and encourage you to let me know if you have any questions at all. The decision and deposit deadline for Round 2 applicants is April 18th, 2013, so you have plenty of time to think over your options. However, we are confident that we are the perfect school for you, and if you have any questions, I, one of my colleagues, or a student will be happy to help you out—just let me know.

NEXT STEPS:
· The email offer will be sent out: February 15th

· Electronic Response Deadline Due for Enrollment: APRIL 18th

· You should receive an offer packet in the mail in the coming weeks.

If you’re curious about scholarships, stay tuned—we will be getting that information out to you in the next couple of weeks.

One final note: look out for information on Preview Weekend, April 4th-6th. Once you are sent access to the Admitted Student website, there will be a wealth of information on this event there. Preview is an exciting opportunity to visit our campus, learn all about our programs, meet your future classmates, meet current students as well as faculty and staff, spend exciting evenings in Austin, and we even have events for your spouse/significant other should you have one and like them to join. Stay tuned for more information, but mark it on your calendar now!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 54 [2] , given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 15:00
This post received
KUDOS
I just got the admit call! Woohoo!

This is my first admit and it means my MBA dream is really happening.

I did not receive the email, to those who are still waiting.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 4

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 00:49
This post received
KUDOS
USAFinDenver wrote:
Gorgasali wrote:
My online status just changed (at right around midnight EST).

Maybe a R1 applicant (or current student) can answer this: The only thing I really see that I can do here is accept or decline the offer. Is that what you had? Is it not possible to see the admitted students site until accepting? Does accepting the offer obligate the deposit?

Most of the new info comes in the official email. That includes links to the Facebook group and admitted student site. I'll send you the link in a PM if you want to give it a try. Accepting the offer can't obligate you to the deposit. However, your spot won't be reserved until the payment is made. Also, if you're pretty sure on your McCombs decision, don't forget to join the admitted LinkedIn group:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/McCombs- ... BA-4752362

Unique in character and not fungible by nature, I’d be pretty sure on a McCombs decision if such a contract claim filed sought specific performance to matriculate rather than monetary relief on the damages issue :wink: Anyways, my app status still reads 'incomplete' meaning at least my application is still alive :oops:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [2] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS
ace312 wrote:
Gorgasali wrote:
I do also think that while either might help you meet your short-term goals, the McCombs experience and network will continue to pay long-term dividends.

My only response to this is 'how'? And I keep getting a very similar response when I talk to 2nd year students not just within Texas but in other top schools in the country. It's almost they have been trained to give the same answers. When I dig a little deeper, they don't tell me anything convincing. Is it because it might get you a foot in the door or interview offer at a job/position, 10 years after you graduate, because a school like McCombs or say Michigan have a large alum and are spread nationwide OR is there some other significant advantage that I am clearly missing? I ask the 'how' question very humbly purely from a position of curiosity and inorder to make a better judgement when it comes to ROI, I apologize in advance for derailing a McCombs thread and if I sounded arrogant.

I tend to agree that future opportunities for someone who went to SMU and landed a consulting job with Deloitte vs a McCombs grad at Deloitte consulting will be pretty negligible. Most employers ten years down the road will care very little where you went to school because you will be so far removed from it. What will be important at that point will be your work experience and job performance.

The major differentiator between McCombs and Cox or Jones - in my opinion - is your chances of actually getting your foot in the door with Deloitte or PWC. I don't know much about Rice or SMU either but after looking online for a few minutes I can't tell if Deloitte even recruits at those two schools. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be possible to get a job there through your own footwork but it will be much more difficult than at McCombs where Deloitte recruits many. SMU placed 4 grads at PWC last year, I didn't see anything at Rice.

Look at this way, according to BW McCombs placed 20 with Deloitte and 7 with PWC. The class size is 260 of which 24% went into consulting. So 27 out of about 62 seeking consulting went to Deloitte or PWC. That's over 40% which are pretty good odds.

It'd be more of a risk to go to a lower tier school if you have your heart set on Deloitte/PWC, but the scholarship might make it worth it.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 17:43
This post received
KUDOS
old1442 wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:
Yeah I'm looking forward to it, looks like the agenda covers about everything. I'm also looking forward to chatting with some students from the GCG.

I came home from work to my welcome packet today, so rd 2 admits should should see them soon if not today.

hey could you share what that agenda looks like for r3 applicants who won't know decision til late march

Sure here you go:

Thursday, April 4 - OPTIONAL DAY
TIME SESSION
9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Registration and Check-In
9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Class Visits
2:00 p.m. McCombs Tour
9:00 p.m. Think 'n' Drink Social Event with Current Texas MBAs (not a UT sponsored event)

Friday, April 5
TIME SESSION
8:00 a.m. Registration and Check-In
8:30 a.m. Breakfast
9:00 a.m. Welcome/Introductions
10:00 a.m. Co-Chair Announcements
10:10 a.m. Break
10:15 a.m. Information Sessions on Case Competitions, MBA Investment Fund, Venture Fellows, Marketing Fellows, Board Fellows, Sigma Fellows, Texas Venture Labs, and McCombs Admission Committee)
11:00 a.m. Introduction to the MBA+ Program
11:45 a.m. Meet 'n' Greet with Student Mentors
12:00 p.m. Lunch with Mentors
1:00 p.m. Classroom Discussions on Marketing, Finance, Entrepreneurship, or Strategy
2:00 p.m. Financial Aid Overview
2:30 p.m. Housing Panel - Where Should I Live?
3:00 p.m. Student Life Panels on International Opportunities, Life Outside McCombs, or Student Life with a Spouse/Significant Other
3:30 p.m. Student Organization Fair
5:00 p.m. Evening Dinner and Reception
8:00 p.m. Free night to explore Austin. See ideas of popular MBA hang-outs in registration materials or ask your student mentor for additional ideas.

Saturday, April 6
TIME SESSION
9:00 a.m. Breakfast
9:30 a.m. Morning Welcome and McCombs Adventure Program (MAP) Presentation
10:15 a.m. Welcome by Dean Gilligan
10:45a.m. Career Management Overview
11:30 a.m. Break
11:50 a.m. Texas MBA Alumni Network Showcase
1:00 p.m. Farewell Lunch
2:30 p.m. Event Ends/Farewell
3:00 p.m. Final Four Watching Party (not a UT sponsored event) - OPTIONAL
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [2] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 08:30
This post received
KUDOS
kasonhills wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:

How about you? I think I remember seeing you broke the 700 mark on your re-take so congrats on that!

Hey hailmary620 have you heard anything from McCombs?
[/quote]

Nope, nothing so far. I thought McCombs was going to be safety school for me, but they punched me on the face. No such thing as safety these days.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [2] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:29
This post received
KUDOS
rjdunn03 wrote:
jiggedyjared wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:

You are right on, I've been really surprised by how hard it is to get an acceptance. I think I have a good profile. I'm 27, high GMAT, good work experience, some international experience, plenty of service and volunteer work. My one weakness being my GPA which is about 3.25 - still well within range for every school I applied to. I got the 5 interview invites so I thought for sure I'd get at least 2-3 acceptances. Never saw four wait lists coming my way. I'm grateful for the McCombs acceptance for sure, but it's still been frustrating.

That is true the ROI does decrease, but if you are looking to change gears like I am, then the MBA is your best bet. If you're already in the industry you want to be in, then it may not be worth the price after a certain age.

Yeah, I'm doing a slight career change which was the only reason I applied. From a dollars and cents perspective, it would have been pretty hard to justify. Anyway, I'll keep crossing my fingers; maybe I'll see you in class next year.

Hope so man. Your stats look solid so I'm surprised you haven't heard back too. Best of luck.

RJDUNN: I think you should get your application analyzed by a consultant. My GMAT is significantly lower than yours, so it makes sense that I am not getting any luck, but your 780 is a big big weapon. 3.25 is very respectable also. I think you should apply to couple schools in R3 and get a consultant. I am very positive that it will yield good results. Maybe try for Kellogg/Booth this year.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE: Accounting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 6

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 16:26
This post received
KUDOS
russ wrote:
adee009 wrote:
I got the email too .. anyone of you submitted it. I am going to take it tonight or tomorrow. Please share the questiones of the process..its a first!
The video interview was 3 questions, with a 90 seconds time limit for each response...for a total 4 minutes and 30 seconds MAX. I was expecting about a half hour!

First question: why would you be a good fit with McCombs?
Second question: what would you change about the McCombs curriculum?
Third question: what clubs would you like to join?

It was really odd for me to not have the instant feedback from seeing an interviewer's reactions and no ability to interact. Also, your computer displays how you look in your video, so it's like dictating an essay into a mirror. I felt quite awkward, while I'm quite comfortable in face-to-face interviews.

I thought that the video interview would be my chance to jump onto the accepted list, but it was a strange experience that didn't leave me feeling confident.

Good luck to you other waitlistees.

Just did my video interview after making R2 waitlist with in-person interview. There were 3 questions @ 90 seconds each (as stated by prior poster). Once you start, you have to finish. So for those who don't read these forums and may not have had a head start in prepping, I have to wonder what the quality of their responses were (or what the admissions committee is expecting). I had the above 3 questions as my reference point so I was able to have somewhat coherent answers.

My questions were similar to the above poster's, but one was different.

1- Why is the Texas MBA program the right program for you?
2- Based on what you now know, if you could change one thing about the curriculum or student life, what would it be?
3- Where do you see yourself working in 10 years and why
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 3

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
rjdunn03 wrote:
Gorgasali wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
How did everyone like preview weekend? I loved it. Austin blew me away and I think I'm really going to enjoy my time there. All of the students (both prospective and current) that I met were really cool too. Hope everyone who was on the fence commits, it's going to be an awesome two years.

I had a great time! And now I've got a list of about 50 clubs and organizations and programs I want to do that I have to start winnowing down.

I really enjoyed it as well, really looking forward to living in Austin. It was good to meet Gorgasali. And actually everyone I met this weekend was great.

Anyone have thoughts on recommended housing? I have a significant other who will 90% likely be joining me in Austin, I think we're just going to get a 1BR place somewhere. Downtown was cool but expensive. In the housing panel the students suggested staying away from SoCo, but on FB a lot of students really like it, and it seems a bit more in my price range.

South Congress isn't a bad place to live, although its definitely a bit south of campus. A lot of great restaurants are popping up in this area, and in the South Lamar area as well. Cool bars and not as much congestion as the downtown area. Also easy access to Town Lake and Zilker Park which frequently hold great outdoor events.

Things start to get more and more shady if you go too far east of I-35, although the areas immediately next to the highway are starting to come around. Great prices can be found between MLK and Manor road immediately east of the highway and very close to campus. This is the area I'd be shooting for if I made it off of the wait list. Tons of UT transportation in this area if you don't feel like messing with parking on campus, which can really suck.

Downtown is definitely expensive and traffic can get really bad in that area, so I wouldn't recommend living downtown unless night life, bars, and restaurants are a huge plus for you. I only tend to go downtown on the weekends, so I found that it makes more sense to pay cheaper rent elsewhere, and just cab to and from downtown whenever I feel like it. When driving south on the highways during rush hour, the traffic really starts to get bad once you get south of MLK. So just keep in mind, every few exits south of MLK you live, a decent amount of time will be added to your commute.

If you feel like living further north, the Arboretum is probably the best area. Although, the farther you travel north, the less it will feel like Austin. Those who frequent Chili's, Panda Express, and Cicis pizza will really enjoy the fine dining of North Austin.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 13:13
This post received
KUDOS
Interesting, well I'm assuming you are looking to do something new? The application is about putting together a good explanation of why you need an MBA, and how it will help you accomplish your goals. All I know about being a pharmacist is that it involves counting pills. I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it requires a great deal of problem solving, and if that is the case, you'll really want to focus on the skills you've gained in your leadership capacity as you write your essays.

Also, if you are looking to change careers don't make it sound like you're burnt out and the MBA is your way out. Rather, talk about how you plan to build on what you've learned as a pharmacist to transition into something new.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 54 [2] , given: 14

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
Yesterday I was accepted off of Tuck's waitlist and have decided to abandon my deposit at McCombs. It was a pleasure getting to know all of you and I am quite sad we won't get to be classmates. However, I've known for a while that Tuck was where my heart was. I'm sure I'll have a different opinion in February, though. ;)

I have one bedroom apartment at Red River Flats reserved for a July 7th move in for $1459 a month that I'm going to call to cancel today. The leasing people at this apartment complex were truly fantastic and I cannot recommend them more. As someone who was planning a cross country move, they were responsive and went way beyond what was necessary to help me. Please rent from them.

Good luck to all of you!
1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 196 [1] , given: 57

Premium Member
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 03:46
This post received
KUDOS
crackHSW wrote:
Thanks hamm0 for starting the McCombs '13 thread , I see already a lot of gmatclubbers apping for R1, looks like this year there is going to be tough competition at schools ranked 13-20 , cause there has been a significant decline in % of people apping for top 10.

No problem - happy to help.

Good luck with your application!

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2012, 03:46