Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mccombs, UT Austin Vs Jones, Rice University

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Applied), ROss (Applied), UNC (Waitlisted), Emory (Waitlisted). mcCombs (Waitlisted), kellogg (Interviewed), Haas (Ding)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Mccombs, UT Austin Vs Jones, Rice University [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 09:33
Hi all,

I have got admit into McCombs without scholarship and Rice MBA with 80% schol. Please pour in your thoughts on the reputation of these schools and which is better for internationals if I aim to do general management/consulting post MBA.

Best,

time4mba
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 9

Re: Mccombs, UT Austin Vs Jones, Rice University [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 16:03
Congrats.

I got rejected from UT, but got a similar fat scholarship from Rice. Go figure.

Not sure if you're still debating, but here are some thoughts...

I remember seeing McKinsey/Bain/etc recruit at McCombs, but don't remember ever seeing that Rice, however looking at the internship/job reports from Rice a few people from each class do go into McKinsey/Bain/etc. Contact them to ask how they did it. Also, it seems that quite a few Rice MBAs go to work for Ernst & Young. Reach out to alumni and 2nd year students.

Rice is a smaller school so you might see fewer recruiters (but then again, it's Houston), but maybe you'll find UT feels more competitive at UT since a larger number of people are vying for the attention of recruiters. Just guessing.

I can't judge the "international fit" factor very well, but on the two cities... Every who lives in Austin loves it. I know it would be an amazing place to live for a couple of years. But I absolutely love Houston. As a non-native Texan, I thought the city was really welcoming to non-Texans and a huge number of my friends are international (quite strong Mid East, Indian, Southeast Asian communities, and obviously Latin America too). Also, I did know one international MBA student at Rice who came over sponsored by his home government, after seeing the opportunities open to him, he rejected the full-scholarship by his government (and now has to repay them) so he could stay in Houston and take advantage of the opportunities there.

In the end, I liked some aspects of the McCombs program better than Rice, but I know Rice (and living in Houston) is a better fit personally. It never feels good to be rejected, but it makes my decision quite easy.

Good luck. Talk to alumni on both sides before making a decision.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

Re: Mccombs, UT Austin Vs Jones, Rice University [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 08:11
Have you made a decision between these three institutions already? It will be very interesting to see.
Re: Mccombs, UT Austin Vs Jones, Rice University   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2012, 08:11