Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs Vs. Georgetown

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q42 V44
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

McCombs Vs. Georgetown [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 14:18
Hello all, I have been accepted into McCombs and Georgetown. Both schools look great. Any thoughts on which is the better school? The salaries from each school look comparable. I am interested in working on the west coast or in the northeast. Georgetown will be a good gateway into the northeast whereas McCombs looks like a reasonable gateway into the west. Tough decision!

Last edited by BSchoolTastic on 20 Dec 2011, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 11

Re: McCombs Vs. Georgetown [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 04:57
I would recommend McCombs over Georgetown. Not only is it better ranked but it is also a better recognized name on account of being part of UT Austin.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Intern
Intern

Re: McCombs Vs. Georgetown [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 05:05
Thanks for your two cents!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 39

Re: McCombs Vs. Georgetown [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 05:09
Congrats on both acceptances! I'm in a similar boat with Tepper vs. Georgetown. Is scholarship money in play for you? If not, I'd recommend McCombs for better rankings and name recognition. As a current DC-ite, it is EXPENSIVE living in DC.

Get a peer review for your essays: peer-review-service-for-essays-132830.html

Intern
Intern

Re: McCombs Vs. Georgetown [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 06:10
Congrats to you on both acceptances as well. No scholarship money in play at either school. I am leaning towards McCombs but considering both options strongly. Thanks for your input.
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: McCombs Vs. Georgetown [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 06:17
BSchoolTastic wrote:
Hello all, I have been accepted into McCombs and Georgetown. Both schools look great. Any thoughts on which is the better school? The salaries from each school look comparable. I am interested in working in the tech sector after I graduate and would preferably be on the west coast or in the northeast. It looks like both schools offer good recruiting at different tech companies. Georgetown will be a good gateway into the northeast whereas McCombs looks like a reasonable gateway into the west. Tough decision!

Let me give you my two cents from the perspective of a current MBA student. McCombs > Georgetown if you don't really care where you want to work after you graduate. If you want to work in the Northeast, Georgetown is a no-brainer and I mean it. I know a couple of McCombs MBA alumni and both loved the program. One of them wanted to work in the Northeast and the other one in California. Both had a very tough time finding a job where they wanted. There was not much networking going on for those two regions (that's not to say that you are not going to be able to find a job in your preferred region, it will just be much harder). Both McCombs and Georgetown are regional schools and do not have a super strong pull outside of their respective regions. If you want to work on the west coast, McCombs will probably give you a better shot.
Intern
Intern

Re: McCombs Vs. Georgetown [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 06:28
Thanks for the feedback! It's very helpful.
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Texas - Austin (McCombs) - Class of 2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs Vs. Georgetown [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 08:08
I'm going to agree on the geographic sentiment.

Realistically, outside of the top 7(10?) schools, there is a lot of regional focus associated with the schools.

Go to Georgetown if you want to end up on the East Coast. First, for recruiting (local), second, the alumni network will be more concentrated on the East Coast and will be more of an asset there, and less so if you move away from the area.

For McCombs, replace "Georgetown" and "East Coast" with "McCombs"/"Southwest" in the sentence above.

For example, I applied to Texas and am planning on matriculating there because I want to stay in Texas. I know someone else who received acceptances to both Duke and McCombs, but ended up at McCombs because of the strength in Texas.

I used to live in Northern Virginia/DC, and when I was there (this is a few years ago) Georgetown was an up-and-comer and had some pretty good clout in the area. I'd imagine this is even more so today.

If you go to a school out of the area, you'll be recruiting against tons of people from local schools. Not such a big deal if you are a H/S/W etc. level school. More so when you move down the list to where Georgetown/McCombs/Tepper, et. al. sit.

Now if you have no idea where you want to end up, I'd lean towards McCombs, but if one is substantially cheaper than the other, that might swing the needle for me.
Current Student
Schools: Columbia, Duke, Georgetown, Emory
WE 1: Marketing

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs Vs. Georgetown [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 11:54
I'm a 2nd year at Georgetown. I could not have asked for a better experience. McCombs is also a great school. If you want to know more about Georgetown (careers, student life, etc), shoot me a PM.

All the best and congrats on your acceptances.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs Vs. Georgetown [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 13:32
McCombs! For the weather, college sports, and Austin. Also, you sound pretty open geographically, why not consider landing in Texas, especially Austin? Technology and entrepreneurship are huge there. Having traveled to a fair there this Fall, it was populated with all kinds of MBAs working for Dell, AMD, Bioware, and so on. Low cost of living, awesome city and Texas has amazing pull in-state.

I also heard some kind of stat, which may be whack but maybe not, that 80% of all the jobs created in the post-recession efforts have been in Texas.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [2] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: McCombs Vs. Georgetown [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 14:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
McCombs. Hands down.

I understand that you care about the location post-graduation. But I'm assuming that you are going into b-school for career advanced opportunities as well. Even if a company recruits at both schools, it may not recruit for the same position. I have experienced this recruiting segmentation at my summer employer, which recruits for its leadership development program candidates only at specific schools, but recruit for general MBA level analysts across a wide net of schools.

If you go to McCombs, there is not a comparable school within a 1000 mile radius. Instead of being the 3rd string pick, you on top of the list. I have done second rounds with a handful of Texas companies, the schools that show up are elite schools + McCombs. When I interviewed for East coast or NE companies, it's an all elite school pony show.

NE is dominated by schools like HBS, Sloan, Wharton, CBS, Stern, Yale, and not to mention the tons of local schools there. If they are doing non-local recruiting, they can also look at Ross, Fuqua, Darden, Booth, and Kellogg, which are all in the general area.

Diversity

Re: McCombs Vs. Georgetown   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2011, 14:41