Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs Vs. Johnson

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

McCombs Vs. Johnson [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 16:42
I've been admitted into both McCombs and Johnson and I'm still waiting to hear back from Fuqua, my number one choice. Assuming I don't get into Duke, I'm really torn between Texas and Cornell.

McCombs definitely wins re: location and students but I want to be back in NYC in PE/VC and I'm worried McComb's concentration in Texas will limit my NYC options.
At the same time thought, I think McComb's Venture Fellows program is a better option as compared to Cornell's BRV Fund.
Texas is 21 for finance, Cornell is 24 but Cornell is 16 overall and Texas is 17 overall.

What complicates things further is that Cornell's deposit is due the same day Duke issues their notification and three days before McComb's Preview Weekend.

Ideally I'd like a better quality of life (Texas) but my gut tells me networking at Cornell will benefit me more in transitioning into PE/VC in Manhattan and I can live anywhere for a year and a half...even if it's Ithaca.

Thoughts??

Last edited by simonsays452 on 02 Mar 2012, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Texas - Austin (McCombs) - Class of 2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 2

Re: McCombs Vs. Johnson [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
simonsays452 wrote:
I've gotten into both McCombs and Johnson and I'm still waiting to hear back from Fuqua, my number one choice. Assuming I don't get into Duke, I'm really torn between Texas and Cornell.

McCombs definitely wins re: location and students but I want to be back in NYC in PE/VC and I'm worried McComb's concentration in Texas will limit my NYC options.
At the same time thought, I think McComb's Venture Fellows program is a better option as compared to Cornell's BRV Fund.
Texas is 21 for finance, Cornell is 24 but Cornell is 16 overall and Texas is 17 overall.

What complicates things further is that Cornell's deposit is due the same day Duke issues their notification and three days before McComb's Preview Weekend.

Ideally I'd like a better quality of life (Texas) but my gut tells me networking at Cornell will benefit me more in transitioning into PE/VC in Manhattan and I can live anywhere for a year and a half...even if it's Ithaca.

Thoughts??

I don't know what to do with the deposit dilemma, but in terms of McCombs vs Johnson my thought would be Johnson, at least for you, without a doubt. Funny thing is that I faced an almost exact opposite decision as you, so I chose McCombs in a heartbeat.

One of the main reasons I McCombs was ideal for me was that, as a Texas resident who wants to stay here post-graduation, McCombs is unrivaled in the State of Texas. It has a great and growing rep on the west and east coasts, but my experience was that after the top 5-10 schools, there is a certain degree of regional bias. I chose McCombs because most of the people who graduate do end up staying in Texas. Ideal for me, not so much for you. I was about to apply to Johnson, and started writing up the apps, but didn't turn them in once I got the McCombs admit. Main reason why I was hesitant about applying? Because the majority of people who graduate from Johnson end up in New York, and I didn't want to target that area. It would have taken me a lot of leg work, and an uphill battle (and I'd be at a disadvantage to other students who went to local Texas schools), if I was recruiting from New York. Reverse Texas and New York in the last statement for your scenario and I think the picture is a bit clearer.

I love Texas, and I really liked Johnson (I have a friend who goes to another grad program at Cornell, so i got to visit the Bschool while up there). The area is beautiful, you just have to bear the winters (if you're not used to snow, as I'm not, then you better start working on that! :-D

Last edited by texasexpat on 02 Mar 2012, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs Vs. Johnson [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 06:12
Agreed. NY = Cornell, TX = UT-Austin
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs Vs. Johnson [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 06:18
texasexpat wrote:
simonsays452 wrote:
I've gotten into both McCombs and Johnson and I'm still waiting to hear back from Fuqua, my number one choice. Assuming I don't get into Duke, I'm really torn between Texas and Cornell.

Thoughts??

I don't know what to do with the deposit dilemma, but in terms of McCombs vs Johnson my thought would be Johnson, at least for you, without a doubt. Funny thing is that I faced an almost exact opposite decision as you, so I chose McCombs in a heartbeat.

One of the main reasons I McCombs was ideal for me was that, as a Texas resident who wants to stay here post-graduation, McCombs is unrivaled in the State of Texas. It has a great and growing rep on the west and east coasts, but my experience was that after the top 5-10 schools, there is a certain degree of regional bias. I chose McCombs because most of the people who graduate do end up staying in Texas. Ideal for me, not so much for you. I was about to apply to Johnson, and started writing up the apps, but didn't turn them in once I got the McCombs admit. Main reason why I was hesitant about applying? Because the majority of people who graduate from Johnson end up in New York, and I didn't want to target that area. It would have taken me a lot of leg work, and an uphill battle (and I'd be at a disadvantage to other students who went to local Texas schools), if I was recruiting from New York. Reverse Texas and New York in the last statement for your scenario and I think the picture is a bit clearer.

I love Texas, and I really liked Johnson (I have a friend who goes to another grad program at Cornell, so i got to visit the Bschool while up there). The area is beautiful, you just have to bear the winters (if you're not used to snow, like I am, then you better start working on that! :-D

Thanks texasexpat. Didn't think much about the competition I'd be up against, if at UT, from Johnson grads looking for similar jobs in Manhattan. Definitely agree with sub tier one school's regional biases as well.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs Vs. Johnson [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 00:30
I agree...in terms of PE/VC, Johnson gets you to NYC, Texas likely lands you in Houston (Energy/Oil).
Re: McCombs Vs. Johnson   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2012, 00:30