Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 45
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 13:20
I had my interview this week. It was blind except she had my resume. She said all interviews are done this way. We discussed why an mba, why georgetown, my strengths and weaknesses and my leadership style. She was really nice. If you want more details, please PM me.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 61
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 10:57
Hey guys.

Any of you guys know if attending "Experience Georgetown" is a big plus as far as getting admitted to Georgetown?
I have attended one of their webinars, and as much as I want to take a time to visit Georgetown, it's an 8 hr drive...

Any thoughts?

_________________

ARE YOU READY?

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 45
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 11:08
shady14 wrote:
Hey guys.

Any of you guys know if attending "Experience Georgetown" is a big plus as far as getting admitted to Georgetown?
I have attended one of their webinars, and as much as I want to take a time to visit Georgetown, it's an 8 hr drive...

Any thoughts?


I would say that what is important is getting familiar with the school and speaking with current students. You can do that in many ways, one of which is Experience Georgetown.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 447
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 22:49
I had my interview with Ms.Kelley. She was very mature and made the environment comfortable for discussion. She asked about Why MBA, What are my career goals? Whether I am interested in going into the exact industry in which I am currently working? Also, example for Leadership and example when I worked as part of a team?
I included information about Gerogetown in these answers, so she did not ask me in specific. We discussed on Life at Georgetown and I asked some general questions.

I would say that try to provide as much information as you can, because the listener wont be able to learn about you if you dont share your strengths, but also try to listen to the question. I mean if the question is about how do you work as a leader, it may seem odd to talk about your hobbies.

Good luck with your interview.

_________________

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 06:26
Did other applicants/interviewees receive a "Happy Thanksgiving" email from the Georgetown MBA Admissions folks? It was a very thoughtful gesture and I am curious if the email was sent to a large or targeted audience. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 488
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 10:59
joda522 wrote:
Did other applicants/interviewees receive a "Happy Thanksgiving" email from the Georgetown MBA Admissions folks? It was a very thoughtful gesture and I am curious if the email was sent to a large or targeted audience. Thanks in advance for any feedback!


Yes they did, and they were the only school I applied to that sent a Thanksgiving email.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 18:21
Hi,

I had applied to McDonough and had an interview with Beth Hickman over Skype-since I am based in China currently. The interview was OK, but I guess I was very informal, not sure how it goes with the adcom. I am hoping I have an admit with a decent scholarship.

I have not got any further information from adcom and have not got the thanksgiving mail!

Questions:
The interview was blind, but would the adcom have gone through my application and then called me over for an interview or do they interview most of their applicants?

I screwed up my thank you email(and found that i screwed it up only two days later), thanks to my new mobile and keypad. Will it weigh my application down? (basically the formatting and the content was also incomplete)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2011
Posts: 28
Location: United States
Concentration: Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 21:15
Hi Joda - I received the Happy T-giving email. I'm willing to bet it was a mass mailer to anyone on their applicant information distribution list. I also interviewed at the very beginning of the month.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 389
Location: United States (VA)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 13:40
HenryHank wrote:
Hi Joda - I received the Happy T-giving email. I'm willing to bet it was a mass mailer to anyone on their applicant information distribution list. I also interviewed at the very beginning of the month.


The evening MBA prospective applicants haven't received anything to the best of my knowledge. Then again, I have until January 15 to make it for the first round.

I'm working on my apps now, but I do intend on taking the GMAT again so this looks even better.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Class of 2014!!
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 163
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 39

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 06:12
This is such a quiet forum, esp compared to some of the others. :(

Less than 2 weeks now till R1 decisions! This waiting is really the worst. Is anyone attending their Diversity Event this Saturday? It seems like a great event, but I won't be able to join. Do you think that the adcom takes into consideration participation in activities POST application and interview?

_________________

Get a peer review for your essays: peer-review-service-for-essays-132830.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 45
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 06:49
It is quiet.

This wait is driving me crazy. How is everyone else handling it?!

I saw that last year the committee called accepted students the day before the decision date (which happened to be on a Saturday). Has anyone heard anything about whether or not they will do that this year?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Waiting....
Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 01:11
Hi Guys!

I was interviewed on the 17th of November in New Delhi, India. I did NOT receive any thanksgiving email :shock:
Did they send this email to any applicant from India?

_________________

It's not about how hard you are hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!

UCLA Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 279
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 05:47
Quiet around these part. R1 Decisions out in about 10 days. Any one else nervous?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Waiting....
Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 21:46
About 10 days for the result!!!! Anybody out there as nervous as me? :roll:

_________________

It's not about how hard you are hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Waiting....
Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 21:48
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Quiet around these part. R1 Decisions out in about 10 days. Any one else nervous?


Lol! Sorry I missed your post before posting mine. Yes, am nervous too buddy! You know how it gets :P

_________________

It's not about how hard you are hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 447
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 04:02
Indian Applicants,

I was asked to send a pdf copy of my university (OU) grading. To the best of my knowledge, my university does not offer any comparative system.

What did other Indian applicants do, were you asked to submit a copy of the grading system of your university?

Also, is it sufficient if I used the services of WES iGPA or other such firms, which translate international grades to USA equivanlent, and submit that report to Georgetown?

_________________

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Waiting....
Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 4

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 05:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
BlueRobin wrote:
Indian Applicants,

I was asked to send a pdf copy of my university (OU) grading. To the best of my knowledge, my university does not offer any comparative system.

What did other Indian applicants do, were you asked to submit a copy of the grading system of your university?

Also, is it sufficient if I used the services of WES iGPA or other such firms, which translate international grades to USA equivanlent, and submit that report to Georgetown?


Well, my university (MIT, Manipal) has a grading system similar to the IITs. 10 point CGPA system. In case you don't have a grading system, I think sharing your % should do ( X out of Y). Can you ask your college academic section to issue a letter explaining the evaluation system?

_________________

It's not about how hard you are hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 447
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 08:21
SR85 wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:
Indian Applicants,

I was asked to send a pdf copy of my university (OU) grading. To the best of my knowledge, my university does not offer any comparative system.

What did other Indian applicants do, were you asked to submit a copy of the grading system of your university?

Also, is it sufficient if I used the services of WES iGPA or other such firms, which translate international grades to USA equivanlent, and submit that report to Georgetown?


Well, my university (MIT, Manipal) has a grading system similar to the IITs. 10 point CGPA system. In case you don't have a grading system, I think sharing your % should do ( X out of Y). Can you ask your college academic section to issue a letter explaining the evaluation system?


I did include my percentage, and my transcript clearly mentions my marks secured againist the total. However, its not CGPA. Thanks. Did any other indian applicants with percentage grading faced such similar issue?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 21:19
Hi Blue Robin,

My score report has only percentages. I had also sent in a WES evaluation in addition to my score report(I had WES send the report for me). May be thats why I dint face any issue.

Regards to your question, you cannot report the score your iGPA calculator shows. In fact your actual report from WES will be different from that of iGPA.

EX: The iGPA calculator assesed my grade to be 3.83/4, but in the actual report my grade was 3.79/4. So the iGPA may not be correct. In addition WES does not report your iGPA scores.

Obviously, the people who can help you the best are at the admissions team - I suggest caling them.

Cheers and best of luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 298
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 286

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 22:28
BlueRobin wrote:
SR85 wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:
Indian Applicants,

I was asked to send a pdf copy of my university (OU) grading. To the best of my knowledge, my university does not offer any comparative system.

What did other Indian applicants do, were you asked to submit a copy of the grading system of your university?

Also, is it sufficient if I used the services of WES iGPA or other such firms, which translate international grades to USA equivanlent, and submit that report to Georgetown?


Well, my university (MIT, Manipal) has a grading system similar to the IITs. 10 point CGPA system. In case you don't have a grading system, I think sharing your % should do ( X out of Y). Can you ask your college academic section to issue a letter explaining the evaluation system?


I did include my percentage, and my transcript clearly mentions my marks secured againist the total. However, its not CGPA. Thanks. Did any other indian applicants with percentage grading faced such similar issue?


FYI, I've just put up a post on this particular issue of grade comparison. I don't believe it's necessary to submit a comparison. Highlighting the scale (percentage or GPA) used should suffice. Most institutes do have some info on the scale used on the back side/page of the transcript.
I've just gone through the app portal for McDonough, and am curious as to how you indiciate your GPA because the y ask you to leave the field blank if it's not based on the 4.0 scale.
Image
Is there a field elsewhere in the app where you mention your non 4.0 scale GPA/ Percentage? OR do you mention this in the covering letter when you mail your official copy of transcript and degree certificate?

Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I assume that while McDonough asks that your transcripts be as per WES standards, it is not necessary to get it processed by WES (for a fee) as long as the following criteria are met:
  • Academic transcripts must list the course name and grades received.
  • A diploma /degree certificate that shows the date that the degree was conferred is also required.

_________________

Net Impact's BUSINESS AS UNUSUAL Guide - a must-read!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2011, 22:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
103 Experts publish their posts in the topic McDonough (Georgetown) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! kaustubhkul 556 25 Apr 2013, 07:39
39 Experts publish their posts in the topic McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants dzyubam 461 05 Sep 2011, 09:08
86 Experts publish their posts in the topic Georgetown - McDonough (2013) - Calling all applicants spillai 294 10 Aug 2012, 10:14
4 Calling All Georgetown-McDonough 2009 Applicants Omne 65 28 Oct 2008, 14:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  24    Next  [ 462 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.