Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mcdonough MBA($$) or BU MS-MBA($$$$)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Mcdonough($$) vs BU($$$$)

• 100% [5]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Mcdonough MBA($$) or BU MS-MBA($$$$) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 13:48
Hi All,

I am grateful to have been accepted at both Mcdonough's MBA program and BU's MS-MBA program(MS in IS). Mcdonough has offered me 40% scholarship and BU has offered me 100%. I really like both the programs. Although Mcdonough's reputation and job prospects are much better than BU's, BU's 100% scholarship is something I cannot ignore. Post MBA I want to work for a web based/ high tech firm as a product manager. Plan B would be to get into management consulting and try to move to VC firms after couple of years. Plan Z would be to get into technology consulting. I will be having close to 6 years of IT consulting work ex at matriculating.

I am a married international candidate and my wife will also be quitting her job to accompany me to US. It is going to be a major move for both of us and in all probability she might not get a job for 2 years. There are chances that I will also pack my bags and return back to my country after MBA. Which is why I am scared of taking huge amount of loan to fund my education.

If money was not a problem I would have definitely chosen Mcdonough because of its reputation and better career prospect post MBA.

I am not looking for A or B answer but more about the thought process you would use to make this decision. Appreciate your help guys.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: Mcdonough MBA($$) or BU MS-MBA($$$$) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 14:14
McDonough hands down... the B-school network is bigger, the school is ranked better and they place very well into top consulting firms for a school of their size. I know a full-ride is tempting but 40% is no small chunk of change either and will make your studies at McDonough much more affordable. Maybe you could even goad McDonough into giving you a tiny bit more money to sweeten the deal.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Mcdonough MBA($$) or BU MS-MBA($$$$) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 07:29
jxcho wrote:
McDonough hands down... the B-school network is bigger, the school is ranked better and they place very well into top consulting firms for a school of their size. I know a full-ride is tempting but 40% is no small chunk of change either and will make your studies at McDonough much more affordable. Maybe you could even goad McDonough into giving you a tiny bit more money to sweeten the deal.

Thanks jcxho, you are pretty right about Mcdonough placement in top consulting firms. But at the same time the opportunity is somewhat limited for international candidates. But I am definitely going to try my best to get some extra money however small it may be. Thanks for your thoughts.
Re: Mcdonough MBA($$) or BU MS-MBA($$$$)   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2013, 07:29